DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which would you rather have, CrystalSky or DJI Goggles?

Grey if you are going to make a statement like this at least clarify it! Illegal if you don't have a spotter... That's FAA which is USA not sure what your rules are in Canada so I won't make blanket uniformed statements....

I agree. DJI wouldn't sell them if they were 100% illegal in all circumstances. (law suits) Don't forget they sided with the FAA in the recent court decision regarding registering our drones. At least their PR department did.

Trust for what? I've never seen anyone actually need a spotter to fly FPV, he's only there for the stupid legal requirement.

The spotter will be bored real quick, and probably too busy snapchatting, instagramming and facebooking anyhow lol.

Reactions: MrsTreat
My Goggles are on their way to me.. but didn't know about the BT300 until now.. I might have considered ordering them...
Bought a Nexus 7 2.Gen and it works awesome..
Goggles + Nexus (or even just my mobile) will be a fantastic combo.
As many mentioned before I am also sure the Goggles will improve my distance estimation immensely.. and then the gimbal control.. that will be a whole lot of fun :)

Maybe someone will make an aftermarket type BT300 / Google Glasshole device that runs on an hdmi type video feed from your existing tablet or phone... that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Reactions: ddimkin
I would take the crystal sky but I think the price is pretty steep. I would like to know if the screen is as bright as they claim it is in direct sunlight. One of my biggest complaints with my setup now is screen glare. I have a sunshield that only works marginally and I crank up my brightness all the way on my ipad.
That's +1 for me!

I agree. DJI wouldn't sell them if they were 100% illegal in all circumstances. (law suits) Don't forget they sided with the FAA in the recent court decision regarding registering our drones. At least their PR department did.

Legally if you use googles you are required to have another person as a visual aid..not sure who's going to enforce that, but that's the reg.

Legally if you use googles you are required to have another person as a visual aid..not sure who's going to enforce that, but that's the reg.

True and what's the requirement for the spotter? Does my dog count? :D:D:D Bark once for stop, twice for go! Think I'll stick to the tablet for now. The racer guys I'm sure need goggles though. I doubt a spotter would do any good in their case. Wait, stop, nevermind. lol

Reactions: Roaddogg
GUYS...Does anyone know if it is possible to record the Crystal screen ( including flight data ) directly onto the Crystal SD card ?
It would be handy to have this option...and still have the Camera only video from the Drone itself !
Thanks LHD

Reactions: RobP62 and Advexure
Hi, Owen. Below is a link to a good sunshade for your IPad Mini. It works, it fits, and it folds flat. I fit both the sunshade and the Mini in the front pocket of my Mavic Shoulder Bag (it sticks up above the zipper, so you can't close it, but it does fit inside).

BTW, I am also waiting for the Mavic 2, or whatever.
Hooshion Remote Controller Phone Monitor Sun hood Sunshade Cover Hood Smartphone Tablet iPad Sun Shade for DJI MAVIC PRO Inspire / PHANTOM 3 4 M600 OSMO Accessories (7.9 inch, Black)
thanks for the link this will have to do until I can afford a CS

GUYS...Does anyone know if it is possible to record the Crystal screen ( including flight data ) directly onto the Crystal SD card ?
It would be handy to have this option...and still have the Camera only video from the Drone itself !
Thanks LHD

Yes, you can screen record and take screenshots from the CrystalSky.

I see that B&H Photo is showing the different versions of the Crystalsky (pre order only, don't get too excited). The bad part is, they only show an adapter to attach any of the monitors to a Phantom controller and nothing else for the Mavic.

Really makes me wonder. Will it actually be for us too? I've read the rubber grips in the Mavic controller arms come out to allow phones and tabs with cases so maybe that's how it's going to be mounted. Of course I think most of us would prefer that to maintain the portability aspect. I think however, it may force us to buy the smaller version that is only half as bright as the 2x as bright larger version. Bummer.

On the up side of all of this, because it's still a silver lining in an otherwise dark cloud for me, I'll only be paying half as much and still have a better device than my current one. I hope.

Most of that is all speculation on my part about the compatibility/mounting aspect. Maybe DJI just doesn't have the Mavic adapter ready for sites like B&H to show. I doubt it thought.

Rob
DJI is making an adapter for the Mavic Pro and Spark. So far, this 3rd party mount is pretty good.

DJI Mavic and Spark iPad Tablet Adapter Mount - MavMount

I get my Crystal Sky 7.58 later on today. I'll post a picture with the Mavmount attached to he Spark and Mavic Pro controller.

True and what's the requirement for the spotter? Does my dog count? :D:D:D Bark once for stop, twice for go! Think I'll stick to the tablet for now. The racer guys I'm sure need goggles though. I doubt a spotter would do any good in their case. Wait, stop, nevermind. lol
Careful with the goggles on the dog might come up and sniff you in the butt

Now that prices have been announced and it appearing likely that the CrystalSky monitor may be compatible with the Mavic Pro (whether it needs a separate mount to fit is still up in the air), which would you rather have?

Some will opt for both as they have different functions, but if you have a budget for one or the other, tell us your preference.
CrystalSky is on order. it will here soon

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure and RobP62
To see the display most intuitively and effortlessly, neither. Epson BT-300, the FPV (first person view) glasses, would be hands down the winner for viewing the display.

Reactions: ghedgepath
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo