DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who else had wonky focus?

agour

Reactions
Just wondering how many other users had problems with parts of the image being out of focus.

With my unit, if I focus on the centre of the image, the bottom corners were out. Changing focus point to bottom corner meant that it was now in focus, but the rest of the image out.

The unit has now been sent back!

Just wondering who else had problems similar to this. It seems to me to be a mis-alignment between the lens and the sensor..

Sent it back as well. Took a week to get to the CA repair center. According to UPS it arrived on Monday and I am now waiting for the ticket to say "received." Will be interesting to see how long it will take to be repaired. Hopefully they can just replace the camera in a single day and send it back. So I am hoping for a full 4 weeks for a turn around including the shipping times.

Sent it back as well. Took a week to get to the CA repair center. According to UPS it arrived on Monday and I am now waiting for the ticket to say "received." Will be interesting to see how long it will take to be repaired. Hopefully they can just replace the camera in a single day and send it back. So I am hoping for a full 4 weeks for a turn around including the shipping times.
I've read a few reports about them getting repaired really quickly! Though I ordered through a UK company, so they are doing all the legwork for me. Not sure if they will just replace the unit, or send it in for repair.

I'll give them a call tomorrow to find out!

What is the best way to determine if there is an issue? Would it be reasonable for me to place the mavic on a table and then place 3 objects the same distance from the mavic then tap to focus on the middle object and if the left and right objects are blurred would that determine there is an issue with my lense?

What is the best way to determine if there is an issue? Would it be reasonable for me to place the mavic on a table and then place 3 objects the same distance from the mavic then tap to focus on the middle object and if the left and right objects are blurred would that determine there is an issue with my lense?

I noticed the same thing and have requested a warrantee return from DJI. Here's a quick way to check. Find a constant background like a hillside, grass, or trees a fixed distance away (this way the entire frame should be at the same distance). Now tap to focus the camera in DJI Go. Take a still shot. Now look at that still shot in an image viewer. You can use something like the free viewer irfanview and set View/Display Mode to "not fit anything" This means you can see the actual pixels on your monitor. Now if everything is working well you should see everything in focus. If as you scroll the image your monitor, part of it is in focus and part not, then you have this problem.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with mine and sent it out Friday. Tried all the troubleshooting steps that I've read from different forums and still have out of focus corners. Hopefully it is a quick turnaround although the holidays may effect the turnaround.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

So, mine is back from repair at DJI....only took a week from the time I sent it in to the time I got it back, and that was during theThanksgiving week! The repair order shows a replaced camera and gimble, but they actually sent me a new body with a different serial number. This Mavic has a fantastic picture edge to edge, so I'm very pleased.

So, mine is back from repair at DJI....only took a week from the time I sent it in to the time I got it back, and that was during theThanksgiving week! The repair order shows a replaced camera and gimble, but they actually sent me a new body with a different serial number. This Mavic has a fantastic picture edge to edge, so I'm very pleased.

Thanks! It's encouraging that you had such quick turn around on the repair/replacement.

@dcpmark same exact situation here sir - sent mine in a couple weeks ago for a blurry left side, repaired with a quick turnaround. Said they replaced gimbal and camera, but received totally new/refurb unit with different S/N.

If you have time, could you post a quick full size image taken with your newly repaired Mavic? My center is nice and sharp on the replacement unit, but the right hand side and especially the lower right corner (and even a bit in the left corner) is mushy/blurry. I'm curious to see how sharp yours is through the entire frame. Trying to figure out if I'm just expecting too much from this little lens, or if I'm going to have to send mine back yet again. Looking for a "frame of reference" if you will. Thank you in advance. Here are a couple random shots from my "repaired" Mavic. I'm not completely sold on the sharpness...

0147-0083.jpg
0144-0077.jpg

Reactions: E92Vancouver
@dcpmark same exact situation here sir - sent mine in a couple weeks ago for a blurry left side, repaired with a quick turnaround. Said they replaced gimbal and camera, but received totally new/refurb unit with different S/N.

If you have time, could you post a quick full size image taken with your newly repaired Mavic? My center is nice and sharp on the replacement unit, but the right hand side and especially the lower right corner (and even a bit in the left corner) is mushy/blurry. I'm curious to see how sharp yours is through the entire frame. Trying to figure out if I'm just expecting too much from this little lens, or if I'm going to have to send mine back yet again. Looking for a "frame of reference" if you will. Thank you in advance. Here are a couple random shots from my "repaired" Mavic. I'm not completely sold on the sharpness...

]
the bottom right hand area looks out of focus (up to the right hand middle). It looks like a focus issue rather than edge sharpness..

In my situation, I seem to only be having the issue when I am NOT focused to infinity. I will take some pics tomorrow and post those for a comparison for you as I'm not seeing focus issue in those. My focus issues occurs when tapping to focus on a object 25 feet away. If I focus on a fence and tap in the middle of the fence it will be in focus but the area to the far right of the fence is not, however for the most part the area to the far left is in focus. I will be gathering more evidence and will post it here in the hopes of helping others that have this issue. I am hoping it just user error. I just received my Mavic about 2 weeks ago from Apple, but only recently had a chance to stretch its wings.

A possible fix. There is also another video I saw which involved a recalibration.. When I locate it I'll post the link.

Sent from my SM-G930F using MavicPilots mobile app

Further to my last post here is a video showing centre focussed but outside blurred issue.
Hopefully it might help those who are experiencing focus issues.

Unfortunately neither of those videos represent a fix.
The first one simply tells you the camera needs to manually be focused at some point. Derrr..
The second fixes an issue where the tap to focus was not actually functioning and this will be self evident beforehand. If you tap the screen and see the image breathing beneath the green square as it focuses followed by a beep I reckon you are wasting your time doing the procedure. He even describes in the video that is in fact what he is fixing.

I think something is going on in image processing that is creating the softness.

DJI_0610.jpg

I set my Mavic camera to display cross hairs. Carefully aimed it at the focus target while rotors are off and stable on a bench. Told it to centre focus. The image from a DNG is at a high shutter speed 1/1500 and ISO 100. Should be sharp but is not. This is just a JPG created from the DNG in Lightroom with only a change to the WB. Nothing else.
I also wonder how wide the focus point is. Is it a spot or a circle representing 10 times the size of my target.

If you have time, could you post a quick full size image taken with your newly repaired Mavic?

I did not take any stills on my test...only video.

Unfortunately neither of those videos represent a fix.
The first one simply tells you the camera needs to manually be focused at some point. Derrr..
The second fixes an issue where the tap to focus was not actually functioning and this will be self evident beforehand. If you tap the screen and see the image breathing beneath the green square as it focuses followed by a beep I reckon you are wasting your time doing the procedure. He even describes in the video that is in fact what he is fixing.

I think something is going on in image processing that is creating the softness.

View attachment 2033

I set my Mavic camera to display cross hairs. Carefully aimed it at the focus target while rotors are off and stable on a bench. Told it to centre focus. The image from a DNG is at a high shutter speed 1/1500 and ISO 100. Should be sharp but is not. This is just a JPG created from the DNG in Lightroom with only a change to the WB. Nothing else.
I also wonder how wide the focus point is. Is it a spot or a circle representing 10 times the size of my target.
Thanks for the reply. Having seen several reports about focus issues it's a source of trepidation for those of us who are still waiting for our Mavic delivery.
Some owners, I'm sure will have an issue which can be rectified as per those two videos. Not everyone is an experienced user, but it's always useful to "try" a fix before bundling up the unit for return only to find that they could have rectified it themselves. ([emoji57] In my previous life as a network administrator and tech I often resolved a printer not working by asking if the user had it plugged in.)
However, having eliminated user fixes, the return is the only option.
Thankfully, it's users such as you that are raising the more serious problems.
One wonders how common this problem is, and... what DJI are doing in their quality control.
Best wishes to you and all in resolution of this issue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I get mine all will be good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143