DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who here flies in sport mode only?

gixxerbill

Reactions
I'm but after i flew once in boring mode SLOW mode I have switched to Sport mode and have never gone back. I mean the mav is a blast on sport but the other is ridiculously slow in every way. Anything but sport should is like beginner. I know you get more range out of the boring mode but I can already go over 1.5 miles till I start getting signal fade and I have plenty of battery to get back so why ever fly in it?

What about ya'll who flies in sport and who crawls and why?

Sport mode is fun but pretty useless for filming. Too jerky and fast and the props come in the image too often!
So if you have a Mavic to just fly, sure sport mode is a good idea. If you use a Mavic as a flying video camera then sport mode is good for going from A to B quick but to be turned off for filming!

The only time I use sport mode is if Im done filming and returning to home point in a headwind higher than 15mph. This is rare because I always take off upwind and return to home downwind, but winds can change at 300' in the span of 15 minutes.

I do like to play in Sport mode, but prefer the slower mode(s) while playing with video.

I think it depends what you are doing, your surroundings, and if you are trying to take good video or not. If I take it in the backyard just to mess around, I don't fly sport. If I am in open area just flying, for sure, almost only sport. It is so much more thrilling.

Can I turn on/off Sport Mode in the controller during flight, regardless of the switch on the side of the drone?

I usually use it in situations similar to Thunderdrones. I tried it once for some racing style maneuvers and it just isn't snappy enough, it drifts a little to much and doesn't have immediate response times.-CF

Can I turn on/off Sport Mode in the controller during flight, regardless of the switch on the side of the drone?

I believe it is only possible to set it so Sport mode cannot be accidentally turned on by the switch, by setting multiple flight modes to off.

Yes, there is a switch on the right side of the controller, don't think there is a switch like that on the Mavic itself. -CF

I've hardly used sport mode at all. The only time I switch it on is when my Mavic struggles in the wind. The Mavic (in normal mode) is nowhere near as good at fighting the wind as my P3 used to be.

The one time I am using sport mode when filming is when I am at altitudes above 250m (yes that is legal where i live) because otherwise the moves are too small on video.

Reactions: ge0kas
The one time I am using sport mode when filming is when I am at altitudes above 250m (yes that is legal where i live) because otherwise the moves are too small on video.
That's what I was wondering, filming speed is relevant to height, so the further from Earth the speeder you need to move

I see ya'lls point if I was taking video for the whole flight I could see why you have it in slow mode. But usually I just video when I get to some where and hover while doing it. Again, I see why ya'll use the slow mode for filming. I really think I use my drone more for checking things out from above more than filming.

I see ya'lls point if I was taking video for the whole flight I could see why you have it in slow mode. But usually I just video when I get to some where and hover while doing it. Again, I see why ya'll use the slow mode for filming. I really think I use my drone more for checking things out from above more than filming.
Hovering while filming is sort of defeating the purpose using a Mavic. It is the moves you make while filming which result in interesting and dynamaic footage!

I use it to play around and to get the drone to and from quickly, but it's filming uses are slim. Also, the intelligent flight modes aren't available in sport.

Hovering while filming is sort of defeating the purpose using a Mavic. It is the moves you make while filming which result in interesting and dynamaic footage!

Having a jib shot without the jib can be very useful. The Mavic is so stable, sometimes it looks like a freeze frame! There are tons of reasons why you want a steady cam up in the air in shots that impossible to duplicate without extensive cranes and dollys.

I also mainly use sport mode to fight wind or cancel an intelligent flight mode if my app crashes. maybe 10-15% of the time I'll get a backward or sideways sport mode clip because it looks kinda cool at that speed for certain things. flying forward can result in props in the image though.

Sport mode is definitely more fun, but my main purpose with the Mavic wasn't fun, it was photography/filming. I'm actually planning to build an FPV 250 quad next week, and that will be my "fun quad"

I only use it for emergencies like if the wind is to strong or birds start trying to mess with my mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder