DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who here had an undamaged Mavic battery catch fire in storage?

Reactions
I am guessing no one here has had an undamaged official Mavic OEM intelligent battery catch fire while in storage.

If you (honestly) did, what happened and what was the result?

Last edited:
I am guessing no one here has had an undamaged official Mavic OEM intelligent battery catch fire while in storage.

If you (honestly) did, what happened and what was the result?

Sorry but I cant answer your question because my Mavic battery has never caught fire and Ive never seen a lipo of any kind catch fire, and I have owned, bought and sold hundreds of them and charged them thousands of times. Aside from 400+ flights on my drones, I have also owned RC planes, and I race RC cars and trucks, and have used lipos since they first came out. In RC racing the batteries really get abused, charged fully, then full throttle, braking then full throttle again. That puts the batteries through h*** but again, I have never had one catch fire or puff because of that.

The highest risk of fire would be when charging, specifically overcharging. DJI has built in failsafes in the battery to prevent that from happening, and every lipo charger that I have owned that didnt have an "intelligent" battery to charge, never made a battery catch fire, explode or puff (unwanted expansion of the battery due to excess charging or heat).

Your concern about a partially stored battery catching fire is a good question, but the risk of it happening are minimal, but anything is possible. Long term lipo storage is best done done in fireproof bags available from most hobby shops.

I had wildebeest look v suspiciously at my vehicle. I am sure they were sizing it up as to how many could fit in it. Does that count?

Reactions: Soundtekk
Indeed.

I've so far yet to receive a reply to my "Who here has had a herd of water buffalo attempt to steal their car?" thread.

I had water buffalo steal my minivan, so your question doesn't apply to me.

Reactions: arnt0r
I think It's safe to say after 7 Months of the Mavic being on the market that there are no issues with the batteries. If there was we would have already seen a "My Battery Caught On Fire" thread. No battery is guaranteed to be 100% safe against fire, but these are certainly engineered properly and pose the least amount of risk.

Rob

Reactions: SeaComms
Lipos do catch fire. I had one explode while charging. Twin batteries have performed flawlessly. Just a one in a million case of bad battery. Lipo fires don't just happen in phones. I now charge at minimum in a lipo bag and most times inside an ammo box. DJI batteries have not given a problem except for one Phantom battery that drained fast while flying and did not have capacity. Retired that one.

I have a Mavic battery that now shows 3 minor cracks on top.
Has to be from swelling. I had the discharge set for 5 days but after 8-10 days it still showed a full charge.

I set my batteries to auto discharge after 1 day in the event I have a senior moment and forget to discharge them. If I charge them and then decide not to fly a mission, I usually hover for 8 or 10 minutes to get the charge level down.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
Lipos do catch fire. I had one explode while charging. Twin batteries have performed flawlessly. Just a one in a million case of bad battery. Lipo fires don't just happen in phones. I now charge at minimum in a lipo bag and most times inside an ammo box. DJI batteries have not given a problem except for one Phantom battery that drained fast while flying and did not have capacity. Retired that one.

But you never had a Mavic battery explode, and that is the question in this topic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121