DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Beyond VLOS (BVLOS) will not be coming soon

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
Good article in AW&ST.
Industry, Regulators Edge Closer To Beyond Line Of Sight UAS
You need to join to be able to read it (this article is free, not all are).

Two key things:

1) "“The rule that rules all is that pilots have to maintain vigilance to see and avoid other aircraft. By definition, no UAS flying BVLOS can meet that rule.”"

2) For the US: "...the Trump administration’s moratorium on new regulations has placed all rulemaking in limbo."

Beyond that there is data link redundancy and security. The FAA favouring part of that being via satellite. (DJI needs to launch sats, that's all there is to it!).

And the lynchpin will be DAA. (Detect and Avoid) other aircraft. Unless the drone has sensors that can passively or actively detect other aircraft (including other drones), BVLOS is not going to get approval - ever. So for "Mavic Pro" class machines it's not likely in the near future.

ADS-B is coming for all aircraft and will include UAS, even small UAS. There are very small, portable attachable ADS-B units being developed that will attach to small UAS. ADS-B traffic will be displayed on your handheld portable device or goggles as individual targets with range, direction, altitude, speed and degree of potential traffic conflict.

1) "“The rule that rules all is that pilots have to maintain vigilance to see and avoid other aircraft. By definition, no UAS flying BVLOS can meet that rule.”"

I don't think a lot of people here really get just how central and important that is, hence all the claims that their non LOS flying is safe, that the rules somehow shouldn't apply to them or are outdated etc. There's really nothing more important in uncontrolled airspace during visual flight than being able to see conflicting traffic.

And to anyone who thinks ads-b will come to the rescue soon, I'd caution to consider just how long it takes for basically anything to happen in aviation regulation, and just how expensive certified systems are - if you think flying drones is expensive, try an airplane. I too hope that eventually technology like this will improve capabilities and safety, but I don't think it will be any time soon.

I get it BVLOS. It is more important to recognize that while flying below 400' LOS, it's more practically to have early detection and avoidance of flying bird strike than hitting another commercial jetliner.

Well put Boris. But even ADS-B on board does not satisfy the need to see other aircraft. That just points your eyes in the right direction. If you can't see them ...

And further, ADS-B will help you see transponder equipped aircraft - it won't help you see other drones or aircraft that do not have transponders or ADS-B.

I get it BVLOS. It is more important to recognize that while flying below 400' LOS, it's more practically to have early detection and avoidance of flying bird strike than hitting another commercial jetliner.

The FAA make no distinction. A collision between a drone and a helicopter or a float plane climbing slowly is just as important as an airliner where collisions are concerned.

A drone v. bird strike is not likely. Being attacked by a bird is a more likely scenario as we've seen in some vids.

[QUOTE="AlanTheBeast, post: 178346,

A drone v. bird strike is not likely. Being attacked by a bird is a more likely scenario as we've seen in some vids.[/QUOTE]

Not likely? It's debatable but I won't put my MP at this likely risk, particularly at higher altitude.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3