DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why DJI Could Be Stalling the Mavic Release

Xanth

Reactions
The Mavic is a Market Killer that could actually be hurting DJI.

Here's a brief-ish explanation of why DJI may be stalling the Mavics:
Every competitive market is divided into segments. Ideally every segment represents a balance of pros and cons. A Tesla has luxury, speed & tech, but high price. A Ford Fiesta has low price, but little luxury or tech. Every car's segment is determined by its unique combination of tradeoffs. Collectively, all cars divide up among them the demand of the entire market. Now, everyone knows what typically happens when a car is released that doesn't have a good balance of pros and cons. There is little to no demand. And if you've manufactured 10s of thousands of that car, what do you do with them? Econ 101 - you lower price until demand increases and hopefully eliminates the inventory surplus.

But, the Mavic's imbalance of pros and cons has created a new problem.

What happens if Elon figures out a way to sell the Tesla Model X with ludicrous speed for the same price as a Honda Accord? Technically they're not in the same class, but so what. There's no way anyone would buy an Accord, a Taurus, or any other car on the road, INCLUDING the other Tesla models if they could get a Model X for less. You might still buy a pickup, but demand in every remotely similar market segment with products priced at or above the new Model X price would flatline. All the manufacturers in those segments would slash prices, and the lower price (Ford Fiesta) segments would be flooded with much higher quality/luxury alternatives.

This is what we're seeing in the drone market. DJI has found a way to put virtually every desirable feature in the Mavic, and they've priced it below everything remotely similar. As a consequence, almost all demand at that price point and above has been redirected to the Mavic. Suddenly, every manufacturer selling drones at similar prices, including DJI, has to figure out what to do with all their non-Mavic inventory.

The longer Mavic supply doesn't meet demand, the longer that demand can be redirected to other drone offerings. To encourage that unsatisfied demand to buy DJI, they are creatively dropping prices. The P4 may still be generally offered online for $999, but DJI is offloading it on their own site for $799 by labeling it refurbished. (People are reporting their refurbs look just like brand new.) The P3P "refurb" is now regularly $599, and NewEgg has had it as low as $575.

If I'm right, Mavic supply will continue tight until a couple of weeks after Christmas so that DJI can offload it's non-Mavic stock to holiday shoppers. Mavics may be scarce even longer if the newly gift-card-endowed are slow to buy. If that's the case, look for even lower-price offers on the Phantoms soon after Christmas, while Mavic slowness continues.

Last edited:
Reactions: dewster
Interesting, but this article seems to indicate otherwise:

DJI says it’s learned its lessons from the Mavic Pro delay

Of course, DJI could be saying anything to the press and we have no way of knowing the truth.

Slow walking order fulfillment is definitely not something any company would admit, but it's commonly done. Apple is the most prominent example. Though Apple's motivation seems to be to spike demand for the new, not to clear inventory of the old.

Pretty big reason not to buy a Tesla at any price is the recharge and range issues... That being said, I get your point. ☺️

Pretty big reason not to buy a Tesla at any price is the recharge and range issues... That being said, I get your point. ☺️

That may even reinforce my point! Not even a low-priced luxury SUV that accelerates faster than any sports car, drives itself, and that you can often recharge for free, would be as dominating in its market as the Mavic.

Last edited:
Conspiracy theory, nothing more, nothing less.
The problem is pretty straight forward. DJI created a very desirable product that is a game changer in the industry. As such, everyone wants one and the demand has outstripped the production capacity. DJI was overwhelmed with orders and has had to really work hard to increase production capacity which does not happen overnight. Most companies do not keep massive amounts of inventory on hand. When demand is finally sated, Mavic prices will hold for a while until the Mavic 2 is about to be released. I had hoped to see some of DJI's higher end products such as the recently released Inspire 2 become as portable as the Mavic is.

It is of course possible but with DJI being a Chinese company, there is a fair amount of honour involved and companies/people lose tremendous face if they are seen to be doing anything underhand. OK, I appreciate that their comms has been extremely lax so this may seem to show otherwise but my previous statement is from past experience, times change though I guess.

Reactions: Jayfly
Its a fair concept but... I personally have been holding out to get into the UAV world until the Mavic. Additionally I have a number of close friends who did the same. So... my bet is that they are overwhelmed with new customers and upgrades. Supply and demand.

Same here. Wanted a UAV for a while but wasn't totally ready to buy an expensive and hard to travel with Quad. And they released the mavic, I didn't think twice and ordered one. And I know lot of people who jumped on the idea of a cool and easy to carry flying camera for a decent price. Demand was the killer here.

Reactions: McMavic
Conspiracy theory, nothing more, nothing less.
The problem is pretty straight forward. DJI created a very desirable product that is a game changer in the industry. As such, everyone wants one and the demand has outstripped the production capacity. DJI was overwhelmed with orders and has had to really work hard to increase production capacity which does not happen overnight. Most companies do not keep massive amounts of inventory on hand. When demand is finally sated, Mavic prices will hold for a while until the Mavic 2 is about to be released. I had hoped to see some of DJI's higher end products such as the recently released Inspire 2 become as portable as the Mavic is.

Whether DJI is intentionally trickling out Mavics, or is just overwhelmed by demand (from new or old customers) they clearly are taking advantage of the situation to sell discounted Phantoms. Look at what happens to Phantom prices over the next few weeks to tell the tale.

It is of course possible but with DJI being a Chinese company, there is a fair amount of honour involved and companies/people lose tremendous face if they are seen to be doing anything underhand. OK, I appreciate that their comms has been extremely lax so this may seem to show otherwise but my previous statement is from past experience, times change though I guess.

I know people who are intimately acquainted with Asians who say that the concept of honor is a bit stereotypical. My own experience dealing with Banggood's Customer Service would lead me to agree.

So now that the Mavic Pro is the "Benchmark Drone" EVERY body is going to come out with their versions... I am sure Yuneec is designing their new Drone to compete directly with the Mavic Pro (and I am not talking about Yuneec's Breeze, That thing is stupid!)
DJI had the go to drone with the Phantom series.... Until Yuneec came out with their Q500 Typhoon series Which IMHO was a 90% better drone that the Phantom 3 ..... The weak spot for the Q500 was the Radio Range and how the camera would not keep broadcasting because of interference.

I sold my Yuneec Q5004k back in March 2016, Looking to buy their new Typhoon H, But it got delayed.... and during that time, the more I looked at the hex copter, the more I thought that it was UGLY. People were having problems with them...... and when they released it, It did not include real-sense.... So I just waited. Then come September and Go Pro introduces their Karma..... WoW a real portable drone with a good and a Great Camera!!!, But then all I heard about was DJI's new Mavic Pro................ WELL we know how the rest of that story goes.

DJI's Mavic Pro is the industry's "Hobbyist" drone........... But you can bet that the other manufactures are working real hard to come up with the new Mavic Pro killer..... Including DJI, You can bet they are already designing it.... and a Mavic Pro 2 may include FULL obstacle avoidance along with a Ultimate Pro Kit that includes the goggles and controller that is made for the goggles.

This is a long winded Post.... But basically the DJI Mavic Pro is the Apple iPhone of the drone world..... But someone is going to come up with the "Android" drone....... and Competition is a GREAT thing!

Reactions: digitalartwerks
I think the GoPro Karma is actually to blame for the stock issues. I don't think DJI actually wanted to release the Mavic so soon. They knew they had some production issues and would not be ready, but, GoPro comes out and announces a foldable drone that is smaller than all other drones and promises the world with it (later we find out GoPro was not ready either lol). This pushed up the official launch date of the Mavic Pro. DJI execs are seeing this announcement going, "If we do not get out to market within a few weeks of the GoPro Karma, we will loose out to many who end up buying it". So they announced, opened up preorders, and promised a date that was only a few weeks after the Karma. They most likely called the factory and said "I know you have a production machining issue, but, you have X days to fix it and get going". I know this happens a lot as I build websites for a living. I have clients tell me all the time, "I don't care how, but we need to be live by X date" and sometimes you just can't make that happen.

This is a guess but I think this is most likely what happened. I also am willing to bet they were not expecting such a strong demand. The two combined really hurt them on the orders. They lucked out that GoPro Karmas started falling out of the sky, which made their problems they had seem much less.

I also wonder if their pricing was lower on this drone because of the Karma pricing. They had to get into the ball park of GoPro which forced them to price it lower than they may have planned on pricing it. The lower pricing, the smaller design, all the features packed into it all raised demand which they were already not ready for at the new release date.

TLDR version: The GoPro Karma forced DJI to push up the release date to make sure they were the foldable small drone choice.

Depends on your priorities. I'm on my second Tesla and it has more than 300 miles of range and can recharge in less than an hour. No problem ;)

In the tech business, it is far better to obsolete yourself than to have someone else do it for you. "Eating your own young" is a fact of life. The issue is how you manage the transition. This means inventory, pricing, channels, etc. Looks like DJI had some issues with this. Hard to say from outside exactly what the issue(s) was/were.

Also, DJI released a new P4 and a new Inspire, both of which obsoleted their predecessor, so they are not holding back in that regard. This is a lot of stuff to get out, more than they have done in the past, and no doubt created some stress fractures. Likely they underestimated demand, and from the reports they did say they had some undisclosed issue with a part. The Mavic is the highest volume product they have ever had, and this kind of manufacturing ramp is hardly ever smooth.

I'm not convinced that flushing existing products out of their channels is really a factor. I don't expect Mavic prospects to cross-buy P3s. The P3 is now their entry-level product. Kind of surprising they are still in stock, so their cost of goods must be pretty low at this point. Yes, people were canceling P4 orders for Mavics, but then DJI already knew that the P4P was coming out which would solve that problem. Heck, people like me ended up buying both :rolleyes: so perhaps the delay was a plus after all.

The most interesting thing to me is that the P4 has just recently finally come down to less than $900 from $1399 list.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots