DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do I get more restrictions

CrossQuads

Reactions
I have done some research on this, but it still baffles me. In most aspects of life, getting a license in something opens new doors and remove restrictions. Examples: when turning 16, you remove the restrictions of needing an adult with a license to drive. When you turn 18, you can now drive with more than 2 passengers in the car. In the gun world, you can get a concealed carry weapons license at 21 which allows you to carry in more places. All this make sense.

But for some reason, when getting the Part 107, you LOSE abilities that you had has a hobbyist. Wanna fly a night? Too bad. And that is just one aspect. As a registered Part 107 Pilot, I have shown I am not just some average shmuck with a drone. I should be able to do things that hobbyist cant, not vise versa. Why is it that I get more limitations then some kid with a Syma X8?

You also get more freedoms. You can operate on a non-recreational basis and make money with your drone. You also need not contact every airport within 5 miles as long as you are in Class G airspace or have a waiver. Also - it should be mentioned - you don't LOSE those abilities... Your flight is covered under one or the other set of rules depending on the nature of your flight - recreational or non-recreational. You can still fly at night as a hobbyist; but it has to be for recreational purposes.

Congress curtailed the FAA's ability to implement more hobbyist regulations back in 2012. If they hadn't, I am very sure that we'd see more today.

I agree. It depends on what you are operating under. Commercially it's all 107 if you are doing it for fun you can operate as a hobbyist.

I get what your saying and feel the same way. I feel like the the liscense should give us more ability. But in reality if your flying under those regulations the only ability gain is to fly above 400 feet in certain areas (and in reality, I don't even go that high).

I feel like we should be able to fly at night too and past the 30 minutes of official sun set/rise and the ability to get a little closer to airports.

I feel like the ability to fly within 5 miles should addressed since we have to learn and look up flight patterns and all a hobbies has to do is fly if they want too.

Edit:

I mean fly within 10 miles of an airport. Hobbies can fly 5 miles outside of an airport but licensed drone operators who have to learn everything a private pilot knows has to fly 10 miles away from an airport.

Last edited:
I'm just a hobbyist and I really have no desire to earn anything via my drone. While I may opt to upload some videos to YouTube (I don't have monetization turned on) or Facebook, I looked into the FAA Part 107 certification but what turned me off was the fact it would cost me $150 every two years to keep the certification. I thought it would be a good idea to have the license and felt it might help in a situation where I have to defend what I'm doing in a park or open space to someone of authority. I'm also enough of a geek to see the value in learning more and of course applying that knowledge to my hobby.

Like the OP stated, usually a license gets you something others without a license don't have. I have a drivers license, I have an extra class amateur radio license and I also have a CCW. I actually would love to go through a license certification process with the FAA to have more operating privileges than the average joe. But I don't feel I can justify the cost when I have no desire to go the route of commercial.

Perhaps the FAA someday will consider adding a license for non-commercial use which has a lower cost associated to it with broader privileges? The FAA could even take a page from their government sibling (the FCC) and mirror the non-commercial equivalent similar to how they structured the amateur radio license.

I mean fly within 10 miles of an airport. Hobbies can fly 5 miles outside of an airport but licensed drone operators who have to learn everything a private pilot knows has to fly 10 miles away from an airport.

Ummm what? 10 miles away from an airport? Please explain??

Ummm what? 10 miles away from an airport? Please explain??

Recreational flying you can fly up to 5 miles away from an airport as long as you tell them. With my liscense, the airspace bubbles extend 10 miles away from the airport. So I can fly unless I apply for a waiver 90 days in advance with a flight plan.

Recreational flying you can fly up to 5 miles away from an airport as long as you tell them. With my liscense, the airspace bubbles extend 10 miles away from the airport. So I can fly unless I apply for a waiver 90 days in advance with a flight plan.

Only if you do it commercially, if for hobby then use the 5 mile rule and fly for fun. What airport are you talking about?

Only if you do it commercially, if for hobby then use the 5 mile rule and fly for fun. What airport are you talking about?

I would but everything I film gets used some way or another for commercial purpose.

I fly in Houston so hobby and George bush international.

I would but everything I film gets used some way or another for commercial purpose.

I fly in Houston so hobby and George bush international.

Wow, yeah, that is a big a$$ area of controlled airspace. Frankly unless it is a job where you have actual paying clients I'd call it hobby use ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll