DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does the Mavic appeal to you?

shorttimer

Reactions
Question. Looking at all the interest the Mavic has raised I'm wondering what sold you on ordering one. The big reasons I see would be 1 - the compact size just makes it easy to throw in your day pack or 2 - the advertised 4.3 mile distance which it claims. I think those are the 2 biggies but also might be with the technology that is evolving it is making it more idiot proof and will probably be more pilot error forgiving. Just curious your reason to order. For me it is none of the above I just think it is a neat drone. The size doesn't matter to me as I fly out of my backyard, I live in the country, and the distance doesn't either as my P3 has been close to 3 miles out.

Your reason for ordering it....

I have been doing photography for over ten years.. Wedding etc.. I thought it would be interesting to get a new perspective on things and the narrower field of view, and portrait capability, small size, (it's cute to females), and the fact that it does have the automated features is extremely appealing.. On top of that, I grew up in the early 80's and have dreamed of things like this in the future.. The future is here guys.. I love it!! It's science fiction coming to life! This piece of tech is incredible! The smartphones we carry.. Everything tech today is amazing.. I'm okay waiting for mine to get here - I've waited for decades already..

been interested in drones for years...they were always too big or too gadgety (=uselessly cheap)

what sold me on Mavic ? definately the size, then the DJI name and Experience all this perfectly wrapped in the Launch event : i preordered the next day...

even though i am a long time smartphone user and change my smartphone every year, that's the first time i ever pre ordered a product. that tells a lot about the power of the MAVIC : we dreamt and expected such product , they built it !

Size and indoor flying.

In my real job I fly for a government agency and we intend to use it indoors in emergency response.

Outside of work, size again. I plan to have it in a backpack in my Jeep and if I'm driving around and see a great shot, I can pull over, deploy quickly, get the shot, and drive on.

The big reason for me is portability of the drone being able to have it with me at all times. Especially since i drive a long distance for work in the country being able to take the drone out and take pictures and video of the area appeals to me. I have a Phantom 2 Vision plus which is great and the mavic is the perfect upgrade for me.

Size, ease of flight/stability.

This thing looks like something out of a sci fi movie when it's just hovering there, especially indoors

Anyone else watch star gate universe? lol

Reminds me of the little recorder things they used.

I have a small company that does video production and motion graphics. We have hired drone ops with Phantoms a couple of times for projects, and I have been wanting one for a while. Had set aside money from a job to get a P4 and start learning to fly but been too busy to make the purchase. Then along comes the Mavic, and it seems ideal for a first time pilot.

These were the factors for me between the P4 and Mavic.

#1. Flight modes and VPS, particularly tripod mode and indoor use.
#2. Price, I realized comparing the price between P4 with accessories and Mavic with accessories I would spend about 30% less. Since I consider this to be a "practice" drone (I eventually hope to get an Inspire 2 or 3) lower cost decreases risk.
#3. Size. The size means I can have it with me a lot of the time. The best camera is the one you have with you!

I will be flying as a hobbyist at first, but I will plan to take the FAA test to be able to use professionally.

I have been doing photography for over ten years.. Wedding etc.. I thought it would be interesting to get a new perspective on things and the narrower field of view, and portrait capability, small size, (it's cute to females), and the fact that it does have the automated features is extremely appealing.. On top of that, I grew up in the early 80's and have dreamed of things like this in the future.. The future is here guys.. I love it!! It's science fiction coming to life! This piece of tech is incredible! The smartphones we carry.. Everything tech today is amazing.. I'm okay waiting for mine to get here - I've waited for decades already..

This is exactly my outlook! It's so exciting to have these technologies available to us, people have been dreaming about them for so long, whats another month? :) Also, there aren't that many things in my life that have me crazy like a kid before christmas anymore, the waiting is kinda fun.

Reactions: Steve
I was going to start a thread like this so I'll chime in here.....

I'm a long time P2/GoPro user with 100s of flights under my belt. Almost from the minute I first saw it, I thought the inspire would be my upgrade when I pulled the trigger then the P4 hit the market. I thought that more than fit my needs and plans and pure laziness kept me from ordering. then came the Mavic.......

I realized I didn't want another P2 size quad. I want PORTABILITY! and the Mavic fits that bill in spades. I also want longer battery life with batteries that cost less than $100 and I want rock solid 1 mile fpv range (I could use more as I live in the desert and can have clear LOS out 10+ miles)

But I've realized the last few days why I really want the Mavic. I want the it because it will allow me to fly DISCRETELY!! No more lugging around a carry on size case, finding a place to unload stuff with people looking at me. Asking questions. Passing judgement and telling me what I'm doing wrong. The Mavic is quieter and the range will allow me to shoot video while physically staying on public property without some security guard telling me I'm trespassing or a neighbor telling me "you can't fly over people's houses!!" Blah blah blah. I also like the subdued coloring Etc. With the Mavic, they'll never see me! (Hopefully)

Stealth baby!!!

Reactions: Steve and GriffDawg
Another thing too.. The Phantoms are great, but they are also a little scary.. The props remind me of spinning knives.. I know the Mavic can hurt you too, but it isn't as scary looking (still looks pretty mean and insect like - in a sporty kind of way though)..

Reactions: Smallz
I travel for a living. I work as a cabin crew with Singapore airlines. So I'm basically flying to different places every other day. I was in Düsseldorf recently, am in San Francisco now, and will be heading to Amsterdam next.

I enjoy photography and do a bit of side work. This means the Mavic provides me with different photography angles.

Combined with my job and my hobby, the Mavic is God sent. It's leagues above what my P3 Pro can do.

To be second time drone owner (frome an parrot ar drone 2).
So i want a real drone.

Portabillity, features, looks!

In order of why I chose the Mavic over the competition. Size, quality, ease of setup, portability (so I can take it anywhere), performance, looks.

We fly the Inspire 1 with the X5R camera. I came to drone flying because of the possibility to move a camera around to get some different shots. For me it is all about getting the shot and the tripod mode of the Mavic is very attractive. The possibility to fly a drone (camera) in small spaces under, over and any which way open up a lot of new grounds.
It is also the most advance drone in the DJI arsenal. The big unknown is the camera performance.
But to be honest. The main reason is because....I want it!!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000