DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will Doing a Reverse Downward Funnel Cause Motors to turn off?

gixxerbill

Reactions
I am not up on all the lingo for flying drones but I have heard it being called a funnel when you hold up and bank right or left where it makes like the drone look like it's in a funnel. Well the other day I thought I bet it would look cool holding down button and banking left or right but then I thought that is how you kill the motors too.

But I thought to myself surely dji would have some safety mechanism to keep people from killing the motors while it's flying so I tried it and it worked and was very cool looking can wait to impress chicks on the beach with that stunt.

So am i right? the motors can only be turned off when on the ground?

Reactions: Budmancan
The motors will shut off mid-flight if you do a CSC. There is a settings in the DJI GO app that can be set to only allow a CSC mid-flight in the case of an emergency. You could configure that setting to prevent an accidental CSC.

For Android devices:

DJI-GO-Stop-Motor-Method-Android.jpg

For Apple devices:

DJI-GO-Stop-Motor-Method-Apple.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunny Too
I would like to see a custom buton for shutting down motors, or maybe long press pause better than stick combination. Has anyone use CSC in real world situation?

..be fRee and fLy..

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I would like to see a custom buton for shutting down motors, or maybe long press pause better than stick combination. Has anyone use CSC in real world situation?

..be fRee and fLy..
i agree I don't like using the sticks either. It should have its own kill button with a quick push and then a long push like the drone and rc work.

I am sooo lucky I didn't kill it I was doing both down funnels yesterday from like 200 ft down to 30 ft. Can't believe I didn't accidently kill the motors.

..be fRee and fLy..
how do you stop the emergency shut down in air. And if you did that would you have to turn that feature back on when you land?

In flight no. But when I had the Mavic a few days I had it on a table and for (insert whatever stupid reason you fancy here) started the motors. Didn't want to fly it so I CSC'd them off. It was that or reach in and kill the battery.

In flight no. But when I had the Mavic a few days I had it on a table and for (insert whatever stupid reason you fancy here) started the motors. Didn't want to fly it so I CSC'd them off. It was that or reach in and kill the battery.
I did tried that once when it was acting crazy from the front sensor thing and it took for over to stop turning bouncing around in my garage thank goodness it didn't hit anything.

The reverse funnel thing is both sticks down and in? Is there any video of how the MP looks from the ground doing it? I've never seen it and my imagination could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

The reverse funnel thing is both sticks down and in? Is there any video of how the MP looks from the ground doing it? I've never seen it and my imagination could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app
I think it looked cooler than it doing the same thing going up. I would do it again and video it but I am scared now that it might turn off and crash. Think i got lucky before or maybe for some reason that advance setting is off. but i don't think it is because I kill the motor all the time with it when I land.

..be fRee and fLy..

I have done that, back when I had my first Phantom 3 Advanced (couple of years ago). I was taking video and pictures of a POI, in order to get better angle I decided to reverse and ran into a tall 80 ft tree. The Phantom was at the very top squealing, tangled in the leaves of the tree. Saw a bit of smoke come out but could not get the motors to stop spinning, the only one thing that made them stop was a CSC. The motors were making a loud noise.
Learned a lesson the hard way.

does the mavic respond to CSC when upside down? Because the Phantom 3 advanced doesn't and its caused me issues twice now.

So set it for "emergency use only" and it will only shutdown if the mavic is in distress or is ready to land? I have always left it in emergency use only but have not had the nerve to try pulling the sticks in and down to see what happens during normal flight.

Not sure is the Mavic responds to CSC when upside down. When I had to do CSC on the P3A luckily the aircraft was not upside down, still straight but entangled in the tree.

The motors will shut off mid-flight if you do a CSC. There is a settings in the DJI GO app that can be set to only allow a CSC mid-flight in the case of an emergency. You could configure that setting to prevent an accidental CSC.

For Android devices:

View attachment 7000

For Apple devices:

View attachment 7001

Im familiar with the CSC, coming from phantom 3. I've seen these settings on the Mavic. And ot be honest they are really clear to me. What is it mean by inner/outer ALWAYS vs BREAKDOWN?

Im familiar with the CSC, coming from phantom 3. I've seen these settings on the Mavic. And ot be honest they are really clear to me. What is it mean by inner/outer ALWAYS vs BREAKDOWN?

I believe the "Always" setting means that CSC will come into effect even if there is no error. "Breakdown" setting means that CSC will only happen if there is an error. As to what constitutes an error, it's anyone's guess since DJI hasn't released any documents for the DJI Go app..

i agree I don't like using the sticks either. It should have its own kill button with a quick push and then a long push like the drone and rc work.

I am sooo lucky I didn't kill it I was doing both down funnels yesterday from like 200 ft down to 30 ft. Can't believe I didn't accidently kill the motors.

That why you read all the instructions BEFORE taking to the skies. Everything that should be programmable......IS. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

And INNER/OUTER would refer to the stick direction.

does the mavic respond to CSC when upside down? Because the Phantom 3 advanced doesn't and its caused me issues twice now.
From experience, I think the motors stop when the mavic is upside down. I clipped an outdoor table once during a tight landing, the mavic flipped over and before it hit the ground the motors were off.

From experience, I think the motors stop when the mavic is upside down. I clipped an outdoor table once during a tight landing, the mavic flipped over and before it hit the ground the motors were off.

I guess that probably saved some damage?

how do you stop the emergency shut down in air. And if you did that would you have to turn that feature back on when you land?
See the screenshot I posted above. After landing, hold the left stick down to shut down the motors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke