DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will I need to have cellular service

Lee Hughes

Reactions
can you use a display without cellular service. What would be the advantage or disadvantages of this. In my example I am looking to use a extra iPhone 6 Plus to keep connected to it full time, but I'm not sure if I am giving up any features by not keeping cellular service on it.

Didn't need it on my Phantom 3 Standard. I used a cheap -sorry, inexpensive- android phone with no sim card in it. Worked fine. I can only presume it'll be similar on the Mavic.

It's handy to be able to cache maps on the go and to be able to live stream but that's about it other than live Geo unlocking on the go.

Iv been flying P3,P4 and Inspire on none cellular iPad no problem at all you just have to cache the maps before you leave or tether to phone for a few minutes but only when I forgot to cache on wifi :)

You're fine without cellular per the reasons listed above in this thread. Just needed for caching maps. We often fly with cellular off (airplane mode) to avoid phone calls/texts to the device which we are flying with.

Just like mentioned above, while on a wifi network you go to the area you want to fly in the app and be sure you have the app settings to cache the maps. Then go fly & enjoy!

You're fine without cellular per the reasons listed above in this thread. Just needed for caching maps. We often fly with cellular off (airplane mode) to avoid phone calls/texts to the device which we are flying with.

Thank you sir! Since I'm a newb, hadn't thought about that.

I recently bought an iPhone se.
It's basically an iPhone 5, with all the features of an iPhone 6. Great as a phone, I like the small size.
My quandary is, I think it too small for the Mavic. I know it will fit, but I want a bigger display.
Really not keen about throwing a bunch of $$$ at a 6plus. Not convinced that the prototype tablet mounts, for the Mavic will work, very well.
Any suggestions?

can you use a display without cellular service. What would be the advantage or disadvantages of this. In my example I am looking to use a extra iPhone 6 Plus to keep connected to it full time, but I'm not sure if I am giving up any features by not keeping cellular service on it.

Likely sounds like a dumb question, but most of us are new to Drones.
When you refer to caching your maps while in wifi or cell range, are you talking about saving a map on Google Maps?

Likely sounds like a dumb question, but most of us are new to Drones.
When you refer to caching your maps while in wifi or cell range, are you talking about saving a map on Google Maps?
No. You cache them in the DJI Go app.

The maps can be cached in DJI GO like this:

Hi there drone pilots, or to be pilots like me.

Interesting discussion, i have read (on the net somewhere) that you need gps, whitch is in the cellulair models and not the wifi models, to use some smart functions of the drone like follow me mode/active tracking or so.

Can someone confirm or debunk this?

You must use a device that has GPS if you want to use the Follow Me mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you aren't going to use either of those features, then a Wi-Fi only device is all you need.

The maps can be cached in DJI GO like this:

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but can you cache the maps into the DJI GO app without being connected to the drone ?

Yes. The caching is all done on your mobile device, so your Mavic does not need to be connected.

Yes. The caching is all done on your mobile device, so your Mavic does not need to be connected.

Ok thank you... ill have to wait until my drone arrives then... ;)

You must use a device that has GPS if you want to use the Follow Me mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you aren't going to use either of those features, then a Wi-Fi only device is all you need.

OK clear, and thank you for the info.

Found this info on rcgeeks,
The follow me feature has been around since the Phantome 3 series. The Follow Me feature works by tracking the GPS position of the Phantom controller, meaning that if you want to autonomously track a cyclist for example, using the follow me feature, the cyclist must have the controller on them.

I take the Mavic controller does the same?
So without the Mavic controller on me i can use Active track to get a sort of Follow me mode?

Sorry i'm new to the hobby,

Last edited:
Another question: How often does caching needs to take place for the same area?
If for some reason the phone turns off or if the app quits and reopens, does caching needs to take place again?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR