DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will my Mavic fall out of the sky?

I've been taking a look at my Mavic with the potential loose battery in mind. The battery is very solid and I can't see how it can come loose once it's clicked into place. Then I picked up the Mavic with my fingers (and thumb) on each side. And yes, it does seem possible to release the battery if inadvertently holding the Mavic by the battery release buttons. The battery didn't come out for me, but it did pop up slightly and the clamps were no longer firmly in place. The battery was probably sticking up maybe 2-3mm above the Mavic body, and it still looked like it was in position from a distance.

It may be worth bearing this in mind before take-off.

If you have been reading about Mavics falling out of the sky, it has surely not been here. Most Mavics fall from the sky because people hit trees, or other obstacles. Other people dont securely latch their batteries into the Mavic which would cause in-flight failure. Other people hit birds.

If you are worried about your Mavic falling from the sky, just hover it in front of you about 5 feet off the ground a dozen or more times to give you confidence.

I've been doing my best to track the data on this for the past few weeks. There have been more than a few, but less than "a lot" : Does the Mavic Have a Karma Problem? (Inflight Shutdowns)

"ALL" being how many? Maybe others whose birds have fallen out of the sky can chime in, but I have repaired many, including some manufactured in March, and every single one was due to operator error. There were none falling from the sky due to unknown reasons. I have also sold 2 dozen since then and not one fell for unknown reasons.

Before people start fear mongering, its time to come up with facts instead of scaring 99% of the people here to death.

Please feel free to take this poll.

Poll: Has you Mavic fallen from the sky for unknown reasons?
No not if I hit something In for repairs now
And this poll:

Poll: Are you happy with your Mavic?yes
yes %
N

Attachments

• IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
Don't worry about that. First read the manual(if you don't already read it), then see some tutorials and last set it for a couple of flights on beginners mode.

I love my Mavic and no they don't just fall out of the sky mine did but it was my one mistake for flying to fast in a big wear house and then hit the wall trying to turn instead of letting my drone do the stopping with obsticall avoidance

I love my Mavic and no they don't just fall out of the sky mine did but it was my one mistake for flying to fast in a big wear house and then hit the wall trying to turn instead of letting my drone do the stopping with obsticall avoidance

It doesnt look too bad. 2 broken arms. Does the gimbal still work? Any video feed?

That's a lot flying [emoji106]
I bought my Mavic in April.. not sure of manufacture date. On the 3rd flight while hovering at a little over a 100 feet it disconnected and dropped out of the sky. It broke all the blades and camera. I sent it in but they sent me a email with a bill to repair and said that it was pilot error. I have just hovering over a field and it dropped.. there was no pilot error. I was just hovering and not touching the contols. The battery was 80% and it was not loose even after falling over 100 feet and crashing. I have sent multiple emails stating that this is a Mavic defect and should be covered under warranty, but cannot get a response other than my case is being "reviewed" . It has been 3 weeks now since they received my Mavic. I'm not sure what else I can do. I was wondering if we should start a class action lawsuit. Each Mavic is $1000 and a lot of them seem to be dropping out of the sky for no reason. Personally I am out $1400 as I bought the extra batteries and Mavic Care. This is a real problem with Mavics .

Reactions: Blades
Please contribute to my poll. I would not say "alot" of them seem to be dropping from the air due to manufacturers defects, mostly due to operator error such as batteries not latched properly, or forced landing due to critical battery level.

So far, out of almost 200 responses, only 4% have claimed to have fallen out of the sky.

Poll: Has your Mavic fallen from the sky for unknown reasons?

Reactions: Blades
So I order my Mavic on Monday and got it today. Between Monday and today, I have been reading about Mavic's with a March 2017 build date that have fallen from the sky mid flight. So I check my build date and its Friday, March, 17th 2017. :( Has there been a determination on what is causing the crashes? Other than buying insurance is there anything I can do to reduce the chance of a loss?
My MP build date is March 17 also and I have had no problems "yet"

With any machine there is always a probability of a fault.
Especially as they become more tech advanced.
I had a bad run once where over 50% of different items were faulty, including computers, electric heaters, toasters etc.
It would be a fallacy to believe 100% of everything ever built will be fault free.
Saying that, you will get a false positive regarding Mavic faults as more people post up faults than those those who say after each "Wow I flew today and everything went perfect".
Human nature isn't like this.
By the way my build day is 14th March.
No problems flying, video/camera/gimbal.
So far, latest updates on everything.

With any machine there is always a probability of a fault.
Especially as they become more tech advanced.
I had a bad run once where over 50% of different items were faulty, including computers, electric heaters, toasters etc.
It would be a fallacy to believe 100% of everything ever built will be fault free.
Saying that, you will get a false positive regarding Mavic faults as more people post up faults than those those who say after each "Wow I flew today and everything went perfect".
Human nature isn't like this.

I agree with your comment. Many people come here to report problems and get them resolved. And I also agree that no product ever made, especially on the cutting edge of technology, has been perfect, but DJI gets it right most of the time.

My Mavic fell from the sky last week I posted a message which got many replies and views of my DAT file and nobody could offer an explanation. My battery was in and the Mavic never lost power or stopped filming (DAT file and video is in my post) so a battery not seated was not the case. It was after my post that I hear about the March build issue. After checking mine was born on March 13th.

My Mavic fell from the sky last week I posted a message which got many replies and views of my DAT file and nobody could offer an explanation. My battery was in and the Mavic never lost power or stopped filming (DAT file and video is in my post) so a battery not seated was not the case. It was after my post that I hear about the March build issue. After checking mine was born on March 13th.

4 out of 40 people who took the poll reported that their Mavic had fallen from the sky, but 3 of the 4 were from loose batteries.

Well please review my data and tell me it was a loose battery.

I did and if it wasnt a battery problem, it was a defective or broken prop.

If youre still under warranty, and you dont feel safe flying it, start an online repair with DJI. They are not going to charge you anything if they determine it was a mfg defect. If they determine you were at fault, then your Refresh would cover it, if you have it. If you are in a state that has State Farm drone insurance, and you don't have it already, you might look into it as well as AMA liability for the future.

Reactions: CC Rider
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. My Mavic fell out of the sky a few weeks ago. I checked the. manufacture date--it was made July 17, 2017. I had my Mavic for about 2 weeks. It worked perfectly. The day of the incident, I was showing it to a friend. It was a clear day (no wind) and I was flying in an open area. I was running the latest firmware and had a fully charged battery. I took off, hovered at about 5 feet for a few seconds, then ascended to about 30'. I was hovering in place as I was showing my friend the display. I attempted to re-position the camera when all of the sudden the drone just shut off and fell out of the sky like a brick and landed on the concrete. It was dead on impact. I sent it to DJI and uploaded the flight log. They repaired it under warranty but never addressed the sudden shut off issue. The drone is on its way back so I haven't had a chance to fly it, but I'm not thrilled. How am I supposed to fly again with any degree of confidence that it won't just shut off again? I'm pretty disappointed overall. I wish they had just replaced the drone entirely with a new unit as opposed to repairing it.

That's a question I have flying all drones. "Will my drone fall out of the sky?" "Will it cause property damage or injury if it does?" "What could go wrong and cause total loss of control?"

Each drone has issues. I was hyped about Gopro's Karma until I saw DJI's Mavic. I was also thankful that I didn't buy the Karma after the battery disconnects caused the craft to fall out of the sky.

Anything could go wrong. I just hope I receive a warning that allows a fighting chance of saving my drone. :)

How am I supposed to fly again with any degree of confidence that it won't just shut off again? I'm pretty disappointed overall. I wish they had just replaced the drone entirely with a new unit as opposed to repairing it.
WHISKEY.?
sometimes you just have to Put it away for a while..... then get back to it after You settle down stop thinking
what if.?
and then you have to fly it like You just Don't care
You love it and mavic mistreated you.. You can't trust it.
You can't change it
get over it and Fly it like it does not matter then only Then the joy mavic gives you will return
But just know You'll crash........ it happens.!

oh sure you'll hear about someone who never ever crashed
ask your self
Do you want to be like that.? I mean were's the fun in that.?
I don't.!
one time I flew mavic into an apple tree it just sat in there spitting out pieces of branches and leave grinding chew up what ever in that tree....
in a panic I turned it and flew it out the other side and landed
later I realized it must have been put into Fixed wing mode ...GOOD TIMES.!

Another time
I took off flew it down by the salt water bay were I lived.
Lost sight and on the controller it said -14ft
I could still hear it Hovering so I know it didn't crash My gimble was pointing straight down at the water
I took a chance and climbed up till saw it then looked at the pictures could see Tops tree and the bay was hover over the Pucker factor was High that flight .......good times
Then there was the half dozen times I few mavic and you know what .?
Nothing happen

........C

Reactions: Flycaster
So I order my Mavic on Monday and got it today. Between Monday and today, I have been reading about Mavic's with a March 2017 build date that have fallen from the sky mid flight. So I check my build date and its Friday, March, 17th 2017. :( Has there been a determination on what is causing the crashes? Other than buying insurance is there anything I can do to reduce the chance of a loss?

I fly a March 11 build. Have had only one problem and it was flying over water when the drone had a sensor issue during a litchi waypoint mission and decided to climb to 600 feet. It was fully autonomous at the time and disconnected from the controller following the flight plan. Once it got that high my controller reconnected and I flipped it into sport mode which cancelled the flight plan and gave me full control again. I flew her home and landed safely. I’ve since flown fully autonomous missions over land that are disconnected from the controller for 12-13 minutes at a time. A thrilling experience, especially when the bird comes flying back home at the end of the mission and lands within inches of the planned destination.

Consider that the forums are for activist pilots and knowledge seekers. For each bad story, there a likely dozens and dozens of success stories.

Bottom line, have no fear of build date. Learn, fly, learn, fly. Know your bird and your software inside out. Keep diligent on situational awareness and don’t hit anything!

Just checked my build date... August 16, 2017! (my bird just arrived yesterday)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu