DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will pigeons attack my mavic?

rabidhyena

Reactions
I did a flight today and for the whole time, flocks of pidgies were flying by real close.
I know birds can attack drones, but I assumed pidgies would be their usual docile timid self. Was this just them fleeing? They just kept circling round past and in front of me.
This is as close as one got-
DJI_0618.Still001.jpg
On the same trip I did close to some rather nice nesting herons, they didn't seem fussed at all, amazing, in the middle of the city-
DJI_0696.jpg
DJI_0705.jpg

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Pigeons flock with a drone to explore it. They tend to hit a drone only by mistake.

Birds of prey will try to swoop down on it to intimidate or even collide.

Nesting birds can be the most aggressive in their defense of their progeny. Don't mess around if suddenly one or two birds rouse from an otherwise quiet area to go after your drone.

In all cases, best defense is to ascend quickly, a maneuver birds have trouble doing, and then fly away from the area.

Pigeons aren't known for having an aggressive nature. Quite the opposite. They're rather docile creatures, choosing to avoid conflict rather than confront it. Chances are the birds were just fanning to get out of the drone's way and each other's trying to avoid a mid-air collision THEY don't want either as it could knock them out of the air, too.; they can hear the rotors long before they encounter them. They gave you a nice shot, an interesting encounter, and a strong "hello," that's for sure! Raptors or birds of prey would be a whole different situation.

BTW, nice Blue Heron shots, too. (At least it looks like the herons we have in these parts.) I really like the egg nesting shots, too. You don't get that close to a watched nest very often.

I
I did a flight today and for the whole time, flocks of pidgies were flying by real close.
I know birds can attack drones, but I assumed pidgies would be their usual docile timid self. Was this just them fleeing? They just kept circling round past and in front of me.
View attachment 6579
On the same trip I did close to some rather nice nesting herons, they didn't seem fussed at all, amazing, in the middle of the city-
View attachment 6580
View attachment 6581
If you're worried about it, you can always throw a Pokeball at them. :D

Hope that you didn't get too close to the nesting herons and disturb them. That's the sort of action which has resulted in drones getting completely banned from many regional parks.

I've yet to encounter pigeons but starlings love to dive bomb my Phantom. Really gets the heart rate going.

Have crows here. I stop flying because there are a lot of them and they are aggressive

Adventure is just bad planning

View attachment 6579
View attachment 6580
View attachment 6581

I made a small video of what happened to me during a test flight.

You forgot to "duck".

I hate to say it but I actually enjoyed that attack on your MP. Sorry:oops:

Ah well, a Care Refresh in the bag, at least...

Reactions: Bunny Too
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu