DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind Speed

kevin_welch7

Reactions
What is the top wind speed that the Mavic can with stand?? Planning on going to the SF tomorrow and bring the little beast. Don't want it to get taken by the wind.

What is the top wind speed that the Mavic can with stand?? Planning on going to the SF tomorrow and bring the little beast. Don't want it to get taken by the wind.

The Mavic can withstand a level 5 wind, also called a fresh breeze. This is defined as wind speeds of 19–24mph (29–38kph).

If you get stuck away from Home Point and cannot fly back too quickly remember to click into Sport Mode so the Mavic Pro increases its forward pitch and thrust.

Reactions: S Hale
I have been in very strong winds. To the point where sport mode only has me doing 18mph. Mavic is impressive! Sport mode is amazing and will save your a$$ in heavy headwinds.

- Sport Mode addict, ride the wind!

Reactions: S Hale
Was out flying today in what I felt was very light wind....maybe 10-12mph. Temp was about 70 and sunny. A perfect day really. About 6-7 times I got a warning on my screen regarding "high wind resistance. Check home point button". It never entered RTH mode, just the warning. It would go away after a few seconds. There was no impact to the flight. Just very strange given the relatively calm conditions. I had flown my P3P in winds 3 times stronger with no warnings popping up.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

As Hello Nasty 1 said, be sure you can fly competently in SPORT mode... otherwise you could indeed get blown down wind... also if you can take of from a down wind vantage point so the return trip will take less battery.

I was flying along the coast a bit North of SF today. The wind was noticeable and I was a little concerned about flying. It turned out the Mavic had little to no problem. I wish I had a wind meter so I could tell you strong the wind was. What I can tell you is I flew about 10 min into the wind and it took about 5 min to come back to me. I would be concerned about starting a flight with the wind and having to fly back home into the wind. I would consider that practice a high risk for running out of battery on the way home.

10 m/s is the max per the user manual. You can fly in wind strengths we'll above this but will face various issues. These can be managed if you know what you are doing, but definitely not recommended if you are starting out.

Who ******* reports winds in m/s! Total BS metric.

Lets see - apart from the manufacturers of this product, maybe 1/3 of the worlds population :)
This would include China (18% of worlds population) and Russia (the worlds largest nation) for starters. No doubt quite a few others.

METAR: ZBAA 130900Z 15003MPS 120V180 CAVOK 11/M15 Q1031 NOSIG (Current Beijing airport Weather)

METAR: UUWW 130900Z 24006MPS CAVOK M10/M12 Q1028 R24/520245 NOSIG (Moscow airport)

Oh and then there is Healthy Drones of course, if you want more..

Screenshot (52).png

Double it for Knots is all I need to know..

Reactions: Nerius and Pushpak
Seems like me blowing on the mavic sets off alarms. With my phantom 3 I could fly in anything. I wish that I had not sold it. This is disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yesterday, I had planned a Litchi mission at our local airport. The wind was 25-30 with gusts to 40, so I decided to abort the mission. I then went to DJI Go4 and took off in the lee of a hangar, carefully flying out into the open, I had no problems and noticed no warnings (I was not watching the controller). The photos and video clips I took were stable. It was obvious the MP was working hard to compensate for the wind, but it did a great job.

It is calculated.
Cannot be directly sensed as there is no wind sensor. Using actual pitch vs theoretical pitch for any given velocity. Probably in a similar manner as to how healthy drones calculates the wind.
Wind is calculated using the angle of the aircraft, the speed of the aircraft and the status of the remote control knobs.

Reactions: Dadcat and dbyantis
With the Phantom 3 I could switch manually to ATTI mode and let it drift for a few seconds to find out what the wind was doing "up there". You can't do that with the Mavic.

The Mavic is clearly capable of calculating wind speed and direction. It should report that information in the app instead of a generic warning of high winds.

I flew in 20 gusting 25mph winds a couple days ago and managed to take two second exposures at night that looked like this:

fc87a9bfeccc32af745ee64636733e78.jpg

1a05c703fbc912fc053260066dff50c3.jpg

That was with the Mavic in sport mode. I tested it and when I took it off sport mode it was drifting pretty quickly. I did find, however, when I was coming down to land in my backyard the gusts and whirls around trees and buildings made it struggle to stay in one place and on a couple occasions it needed some manual input to keep it a controlled descent. I recommend you fly with the gimbal cover on to be safe when you first test it in the wind. A light crash with broken props is one thing, but a damaged gimbal is another. On windy days I fly out into the wind and let the breeze carry me back on low power, I set my low battery and critical battery alarms to higher values than usual and I check that my RTH altitude is above obstacles but as low to the ground as I am comfortable with - wind speeds will increase dramatically as you go up the first several hundred feet. Always be ready to switch to sport mode (keep that switch activated in the app submenu) and remember that during an RTH you can switch to sport and push the right control stick forward (config 2) to make it fly home faster (if it's unable to combat the wind). One last thought - I've experienced a couple of "battery overcurrent" warnings and have done some reading. To spare you the details, flying in sport mode full throttle into wind while recording 4K especially in the cold and especially while climbing at full speed will draw more power than the battery can output. If you get this error, immediately release the controls and wait for the warning to go away. I've seen a YouTube video where a Mavic auto landed In a river and was lost after that warning and I've read in the forums that if you get the warning and keep pushing the power draw it can drop out of the sky. I've not experienced that, just released the controls and waited for it to recuperate. It's more likely to happen on windy days so I figured I would give you the heads up.

Safe flying! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

10 m/s is the max per the user manual. You can fly in wind strengths we'll above this but will face various issues. These can be managed if you know what you are doing, but definitely not recommended if you are starting out.
I could not find the maximum wind speed in the Mavic manual, though it appears in my Inspire Pro manual as 10 m/s. Surprised if it is the same as the Inspire as the Mavic is certainly less tolerant of wind.

I won't fly in over 15-20kmh as a rule, that means gusts to 30kmh, Mavic will do 33km forwards, so you stand a real chance of loosing it once up high where the wind is FAR stronger, yes Sport mode can save you, but even then I recently tested Sport mode on a very windy day at a big park and it started going backwards at 50m altitude full throttle, so must have been 60kmh+! Many people loose drones when flying offshore from the land, once wind leaves land it speeds up...

I could not find the maximum wind speed in the Mavic manual, though it appears in my Inspire Pro manual as 10 m/s. Surprised if it is the same.....

Page 52 of the Mavic Pro user manual v1.8.

upload_2017-10-31_8-57-33.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98