DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind warnings and why wind forecasts are misleading for drone flights

HugoTN

Reactions
I’m familiar with the friction layer, and how wind speed ramps up the higher you go, and i’ve noticed on nearly every flight the wind warning in the DJI app, even though i’ve only flown on days where the weather forecast predicted low winds. Tonight, with the wind supposed to be just 2mph NW, the app was warning me about severe wind the whole time, at altitudes of 365 ft. I guess i’m confused, aren’t most drone flights flown at these types of height? So why would I be getting warnings all the time about wind?

Reactions: Mr Spock
I’m familiar with the friction layer, and how wind speed ramps up the higher you go, and i’ve noticed on nearly every flight the wind warning in the DJI app, even though i’ve only flown on days where the weather forecast predicted low winds. Tonight, with the wind supposed to be just 2mph NW, the app was warning me about severe wind the whole time, at altitudes of 365 ft. I guess i’m confused, aren’t most drone flights flown at these types of height? So why would I be getting warnings all the time about wind?
Uh, no. Most flights are not that high. That is almost the "legal" max. Fly lower until you are more experienced. Everywhere has different weather. No way to know what's going on where you live. I rarely fly that high.

It can be astonishing how much stronger the wind is even just above trees and buildings.
The wind warning is over eager but seems to kick in at about 15mph which is high enough to be aware it can start to affect operation.
What's annoying at the moment it keeps popping up over and over covering significant part of screen and is quite hard to clear. One warning would be quite enough.

Standard weather forecasts always talk of wind at ground level - where "normal" people usually stand. Even 100ft above it could be MUCH stronger, and if you want info about that you'd want to be looking at aviation specific weather forecasts... although the first point you will get with that is likely 1000ft or so.

Winds are much lighter at ground level so it is pretty deceiving. I took mine out today inspire of the high winds thinking I'd be OK in a sheltered river valley. Gusts were still causing grief so back to the barn.... Also, keep in mind that weather conditions, especially winds can vary from location to location. The winds could be very different where you are and where the drone is. Topography has a big effect on changing wind speeds and direction. Wind speeds will change with elevation. Finally remember that change is constant with weather. Downdrafts from developing thunderstorms can be easily felt from 15-20 miles away.

Last edited:
So far this is the most annoying thing I've found about my Mavic. I live in Florida, and the wind blows. I'm concerned if I really should stop flying the Mavic every time the warning goes off. If I did I would rarely get any flying in. This little guy really does struggle with the wind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42