DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wireless broadcasting to a TV

John Locke

Reactions
When I was at CES last week, DJI was demonstrating their Mavic Pro indoors. Part of that demo was the ability to broadcast the video from the craft that was linked to a "Robomasters" receiver they had there, and displaying 1080 video to a TV. This was going on simultaneously while the pilot has his video feed like normal. The DJI guy in the cage explained the craft video was linked to the RC and the video receiver. He also said the receiver was commercially available, but I can't find it. The video receiver has "Robomasters" embosses right on the device, It looked very much like a home DSL modem with Wifi antennas.

When I Google "Robomasters" you'll find a robotic contest website that DJI is sponsoring, but nothing about product for sale such as this video receiver. I can't find anything about this video receiver anywhere. Does anyone else know about this?

This ability to create your own closed circuit video link direct from aircraft to a TV in 1080 is impressive. The range to this device from the craft is said to be the same as the RC, 4mi, however there was no way to connect an external antenna to it. This setup would be very useful for entertainment purposes so crowds of people can see LIVE drone video.

I sent an email to a contact at RoboMasters, hoping to find out how to buy one of those Mavic compatible receivers. This gives a clue about the Mavic communications technology versus P4P/Inspire2. DJI said the Inspire2 and P4P didn't have the ability to connect to the Robomaster receiver, apparently because the Mavic video communications is nothing like Lightbridge (my assumption). The only way to put the image on the screen is to tether the RC to the TV via HDMI, and the max length is about 30' for HDMI. This is problematic for entertainment purposes.

upload_2017-1-9_14-32-14.png

BTW, I learned this booth space at CES cost DJI over $100K, not counting the cost of the booth itself.

Reactions: Hutchie62
Reactions: newguy
I know this doesn't completely answer your question, but this is what I use to view wireless to my Samsung Curve TV:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AZC3J3M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That doesn't look wireless to me, even though it says wireless.

I don't think that would allow me to wander outdoors with my RC to fly the craft while others watch the Patio TV in the back yard. I think I would need to be near the device. I have an iPad also, not compatible with this Microsoft product. It appears this is only PC compatible, not Android or iOS.

I don't think that would allow me to wander outdoors with my RC to fly the craft while others watch the Patio TV in the back yard. I think I would need to be near the device. I have an iPad also, not compatible with this Microsoft product. It appears this is only PC compatible, not Android or iOS.
Can't you use Air Play through Apple TV, if you don't wander too far away?

Reactions: BigAl07 and newguy
If your TV has the YouTube or Facebook app you could stream live.

If your TV has the YouTube or Facebook app you could stream live.
I've done YouTube, but this system is a private close circuit system that's 1080 quality. Live YouTube struggles with 720, you really need a good cell connection for that, if you're lucky to have a good cell connection, and it chews up data in your plan. The RoboMaster setup looks like a much easier setup, more reliable and higher quality. My family could be on the patio watching a live feed from my craft flying 3mi away, and I could be controlling it from 6mi away.

It says it's also Android compatible, but clearly not iOS.

Looks on the picture that funny review guy iPhonedo is hired by DJI for demonstration purposes. [emoji1303][emoji2]
7d82ce0923633bb429c4aaad2e798a97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

any good iphone solution? I have a samsung smart TV so perhaps there is a good method to stream video to it from my phone

How do you stream using anything that streams wirelessly if it is very very highly recommend Not to have your wifi turned on on your device. I have Microsoft wireless video device but how do you use it is you not supposed to turn on wifi on the tab or phone. Please advise. Thanks.

Reactions: M4RK
how bad is the delay when using apple tv and airplay? I'd wonder if I can fly the thing using the big screen and airplay .

How do you stream using anything that streams wirelessly if it is very very highly recommend Not to have your wifi turned on on your device. I have Microsoft wireless video device but how do you use it is you not supposed to turn on wifi on the tab or phone. Please advise. Thanks.
In the case of the RoboMaster video receiver device at CES, it only listens, it doesn't transmit. The Robomaster can then transmit the video via HDMI cable to a TV display. This is just like a Lightbridge controller video antenna, it listens and doesn't transmit, so the video receiver does not interfering with the RC control transmit signal. The Mavic craft has the ability to transmit it's video signal like a TV broadcast station so multiple receivers can receive the video. The difference is Ocu-Sync communications includes security that requires a "link process" so only known receivers have authority to receive the video. This is how the new DJI goggles are going to work, they will be "linked" wirelessly to the Mavic. The new goggles as well as the controller display will see the video stream, and it's wireless communications direct from the craft to the goggles, not through the controller. The Inspire and P4P do not have this wireless ability to stream to multiple receivers simultaneously. That's likely why DJI differentiates the Mavic communications protocol with the name "OCU-SYNC". For compatibility, I predict the new goggles will also have an HDMI port option so they can work with Inspire1 and 2, as well as P4P, P4 and P3A/P, using a physical wire connection (HDMI cable) to the controller.

It's recommended to turn off wifi on your phone because it will transmit, looking for other networks. This uses 2.4Ghz band and potentially close enough in frequency to interfere with your drone, unless you have the 32ch hack, then it's less likely when on channel 30 thru 32.

By the way, other drone manufactures use Wifi for their communications. This includes TCPIP protocol which only allows point to point communications. It's impossible to stream video to multiple receivers in a wireless fashion, like Mavic can. That's the beauty of DJI's Ocu-Sync technology. I just wish DJI would sell the Robomaster receiver so we can create our own closed circuit video connection, from Mavic to a TV, just like they did at CES.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcale
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa