DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Woot! Mavic arrived! in Ottawa/Ontario/Canada

Glasswalker

Reactions
Just had to jump on and shout out :)

Just got my mavic today. Ordered straight from DJI, and it came rediculously fast. (Ordered on like Wednesday Night, arrived Today in the morning)

Saved like $200 doing it direct from DJI as well (versus buying from Amazon, or a local dealer). Take note for those of you in Canada, big savings to be had! (and if you're feeling super generous when buying online, feel free to use my link: http://click.dji.com/AAPG23miq66fEZsOANw )

Anyway, plugged in and charging, haven't really played with anything yet.

Already done a ton of reading, etc... Won't be able to fly tonight (have to drive to fly, as new rules in Canada are fairly tight) so I'll be playing with the app, updating, fiddling with settings, and playing with the simulator tonight. Maybe later this week, or on the weekend I'll be able to get some initial practice flight in.

Will be producing some videos soon enough :)

Pics of box it arrived in and such attached.
IMG_20170320_130812 (2).jpg IMG_20170320_130847 (2).jpg IMG_20170320_131011 (2).jpg IMG_20170320_131810 (2).jpg IMG_20170320_131815 (2).jpg IMG_20170320_162142 (2).jpg

Ordered mine sunday, for tuesday delivery. Had to switch it to wednesday, however. Can't wait!

I can't help but notice that you ripped your box. Sacrilege!

Reactions: Rbruz
Yeah, it ripped as soon as I opened it (it was only like 45 degrees open, I suspect that hinge on the box was too tight). I'll re-inforce it with packing tape. (that's why I photographed that).

Also a couple notes, for my first power-up on Android 7.1 on a Nexus 6P, App worked fine, no crash so far. But the activation of the drone couldn't get past the screen with the controller diagram. Next button wouldn't work, realized in landscape mode the app draws over the button, can't push it. But if I restart the process in portrait, it worked fine and I could activate.

Waiting for it to find firmware update, which seems to be taking forever lol...

My phone charged nicely from the RC though, and so far so good.

I cancelled the update, after like half an hour of "Checking with server" in DJI Go 4 app... Just did the firmware on controller and mavic via the DJI assistant app instead. That went smoothly.

Happy flying. Hope you purchased the DJ Refresh as well. It's worth it. Read and watch all the youtube vids out there. DJI repair can be a lengthy process, and you have to patiently wait.

I did in fact purchase DJI Refresh with the drone. And have been obsessively cruising these forums, looking at tips/tricks, and watching a ton of Youtube Videos on the Mavic.

Last night I got the drone/RC charged and updated to latest firmware. And I connected my phone to the RC, got app running, activated drone, and got into the simulator and played around in there for a bit. Also connected (props off) in house in "Go Fly" mode, to double-check settings, and adjusted a few settings.

Likely won't be able to fly until the weekend, will head out to somewhere outside all the NFZs to do some basic test flights in beginner mode to test everything out there.

But the main goal is I've got a week of vacation coming up first week of April, and hoping to get out and fly a bunch during that break.

Also looking into liability insurance for the drone, as our new upcoming laws later this year will likely add a liability insurance requirement for recreational fliers. And planning on sticking within the new Canadian rules on recreational drone use. That's why I'm not just rushing to spin it up in my back yard ;)

Any other tips/recommendations anyone has for a first time DJI user are welcome, and greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm a new pilot. I looked up CSC. You can stop your mavic through those joy stick commands in case of emergencies. You don't want to do that movement in midair unless you really need to. I may have done that to mine. Think there's a setting where you can switch it when it is o breakdown mode I think. It will stop it when you use that command when it senses severe issues I think. Im just glad I'm getting my repair under warranty and not the refresh. Good luck and happy flying.

I'm a new pilot. I looked up CSC. You can stop your mavic through those joy stick commands in case of emergencies. You don't want to do that movement in midair unless you really need to. I may have done that to mine. Think there's a setting where you can switch it when it is o breakdown mode I think. It will stop it when you use that command when it senses severe issues I think. Im just glad I'm getting my repair under warranty and not the refresh. Good luck and happy flying.

Hey, yeah definitely aware of the CSC and being conscious of it. I was a bit worried at first as I'm used to flying smaller quads, racers, and other RC aircraft, and the RCs for those in mode2 usually don't have spring tension on the throttle axis on the left stick. It's fairly common for zero (bottom position) to be idle, so there are definitely cases where you'd have the throttle at zero, and possibly even be rolling, pitching, and yawing all at once (ie: potential risk of CSC being triggered). For example on a racer, extreme stick movements aren't uncommon when doing aggressive maneuvers (ie, a sharp falling switchback when you have 2 vertically stacked hoop gates and you just flew through the top one in one direction and you need to sharply bank/reverse and fly back through the second one.) But even then, the circumstances to trigger a CSC (max stick in 4 axis at once) should be almost unheard of.

But after getting my hands on the RC for the mavic and realizing that center stick is neutral (hover), and it's tightly sprung. And you aren't usually making aggressive rapid movements in multiple axis at once, I hope there is minimal risk of accidental CSC during normal operation. But I'm still rather wary of it. On the one hand I want to disable it, but on the other hand I'm worried disabling it might make it impossible to emergency stop the craft in a problem...

For now I'm leaving it on, but I at least have warranty and Care Refresh to fall back on if something goes horribly wrong ;)

Also planning on ordering some kind of water recovery device (getterback or something) before I fly it over open water. So that I can at least recover the drone if it does crash in water (so I can claim warranty or refresh depending on circumstances).

Thanks!

I think someone mentioned on another thread that a specific maneuver - upwards/downwards funnel - that can result in CSC trigger.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada