DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Working with color grading and LUT's

After my initial tests, I will use the D-Log setting in the drone from now on. After I'm done with the tutorial, the reason will gets (very) clear
I'd be very interested in a tutorial... and...what does LUT mean? ...sorry but I'm very new in video editing...

Thanks a lot

I'd be very interested in a tutorial... and...what does LUT mean? ...sorry but I'm very new in video editing...

Thanks a lot
There are tons of videos on JoeTjoep about LUT's and Logs.
But a LUT (Look Up Table) is a filter that enables you to change color characteristics of your image. Because your image is a digital format, you can change it. That's it.... no more

Reactions: Alex S.
There are tons of videos on JoeTjoep about LUT's and Logs.
But a LUT (Look Up Table) is a filter that enables you to change color characteristics of your image. Because your image is a digital format, you can change it. That's it.... no more
Thank you very much!

So, can you give me an example on a basic workflow on editing a Mavic video in FCPX?

Thanks again!

I know that for everybody, it's different but when I filmed in D-Log, I use Color Finale and the LUT library to see what what LUT suits me best. We have a lot of red laterite here so that is a little more tricky. If needed, I change exposure and light (gain) a little. I hardly change colors although Color Finale has great color wheels.
I have ordered grey color cards for better adjustment. As I said before, check out Larry Jordan's video. He's the man

OK I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier that I can apply the LUT to an adjustment layer and then change its opacity to control the intensity of the LUT.. now that I can do that I feel like I'll be able to fine tune the output to my liking. thanks for the kick.

Here's a quick test...

Last edited:
Reactions: Oyibo VFX
OK I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier that I can apply the LUT to an adjustment layer and then change its opacity to control the intensity of the LUT.. now that I can do that I feel like I'll be able to fine tune the output to my liking. thanks for the kick.

Here's a quick test...

That's it. Not rocket science

Reactions: darana
Hi!! I've done a lot of filming in D-log -3/-3/-3 and can't get the image right, even using color finale. All it's very blurry and when color corrected looks really fake. Even the grass and palm trees look very soft. Do you have any tips to fix it, besides stop filming in -3/-3/-3?? Best regards, I'll wait for your tips.

Best regards and thanks for your help

Last edited:
-3 sharpness is suicide.. no coming back from that. So that's where I would start (+1 works for me).

Sure, I'll can send you the full res if you want, here's what I'm seeing:

Using Mauro's Cine/Color LUT D-LOG for MAVIC PRO/INSPIRE 2/PHANTOM 4/PHANTOM 4 PRO - Mauro's LUT, shot in +1,-1,-1 D-Log .. to me it's just look totally overdone...

5KTIwI3.jpg
What a shame the Mavic Pro requires a bunch of work to make its pictures or video look good. I get the picture to right quality on my P3S with default settings. No modifications.

What a shame the Mavic Pro requires a bunch of work to make its pictures or video look good. I get the picture to right quality on my P3S with default settings. No modifications.
This is called raw footage. It's highly recommended for post-production.
If the standards suits you or if you don't need to color grade your videos, keep shooting that way.

This is called raw footage. It's highly recommended for post-production.
If the standards suits you or if you don't need to color grade your videos, keep shooting that way.
I guess I didn't do my homework well enough before I purchased the MP. I didn't realize the extensive photo color editing required for the MP to make the pictures & videos look only as good as the default colors on the P3S which I think are pretty darn good to begin with. I didn't think that I would have to re-touch the images color just to get higher resolution which is the main reason I wanted the MP..:(:(

thanks for this thread its super useful. Can any of you advise me if you use the raw footage direct from the mavic before editing in Premier pro, or do you convert it first. ( which reduces the file size and makes it easier to edit) . But am I losing imortant info then?

For some reasons.... a lot of people just don't get it (with utmost respect).
The Mavic Pro is NOT a professional drone
Second. D-LOG = D-LOG and adding a LUT is the beginning of a process
If you think this is all too much for you, then use automatic settings and stop wining

For some reasons.... a lot of people just don't get it (with utmost respect).
The Mavic Pro is NOT a professional drone
Second. D-LOG = D-LOG and adding a LUT is the beginning of a process
If you think this is all too much for you, then use automatic settings and stop wining
Guess you have not used the automatic settings yourself to see the poor outcome of the images. Also if the MP is not a professional UAV than why does it require sophisticated software to make the images look as good as the P3S images?????????????

Guess you have not used the automatic settings yourself to see the poor outcome of the images. Also if the MP is not a professional UAV than why does it require sophisticated software to make the images look as good as the P3S images?????????????
I don't understand your reply. My MP images are crystal clear and very sharp. I also have an Inspire 2 with and X5S camera with additional Olympus lenses and both images are (in curtain circumstances) almost identical. Just because of the better camera, the X5S is easier to grade. Color grading is a tidies process and the LOG files determines a lot about the outcome of the image. And the D-LOG of the Mavic is far from good. Plus.... there is just no proper LUT to cover all the dynamics of the image...
If you know how to handle that, you are a better colorist then I am

I don't understand your reply. My MP images are crystal clear and very sharp. I also have an Inspire 2 with and X5S camera with additional Olympus lenses and both images are (in curtain circumstances) almost identical. Just because of the better camera, the X5S is easier to grade. Color grading is a tidies process and the LOG files determines a lot about the outcome of the image. And the D-LOG of the Mavic is far from good. Plus.... there is just no proper LUT to cover all the dynamics of the image...
If you know how to handle that, you are a better colorist then I am
I agree the images are crystal clear on the MP that's not my complaint. So now I understand why my images COLORS are not as vibrant as the P3S's. You say its the MP's D-LOG that's poor. Well I guess Ill have to get one of the suggested image processing programs if I want vibrant colors from the MP

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU