DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would changing the exposure value reduce jello?

kodiak1120

Reactions
Just like how adding filters can reduce jello by reducing the amount of light that hits the sensor, wouldn't just reducing the exposure do the same thing? I've noticed jello is worst in my videos where the exposure is turned way up and the scene is over exposed.

Adding shutter time to the camera does not fix jello, it masks it a bit.

Jello is a direct consequence of vibration being transmitted from the vehicle through a camera mount to the camera. The sensor is being physically moved while it's capturing the image.

You can adjust the shutter time value component of exposure in a couple ways. I am talking about any camera; they call it the "Tv" or "shutter speed", not video frame rate. You can directly control the shutter electronically. You can add a filter that cuts light, so the camera automatically compensates. They're pretty much equivalent in their effect on shutter time.

However, slowing the shutter time on a moving scene will just blur the motion. You might not see the jello as a wavy line anymore, you'll just lose optical resolution on details that align across the direction of the motion.

psjwuWe.png

Real answer: fix the jello. Motor misalignment, motor imbalance, loose motor, propeller imbalance, loose propeller, loose gimbal connection, temperature or moisture differences in the gimbal mechanics, poor gimbal control, all can cause jello.

Last edited:
My jello issue was fixed after following these instructions from DJI:

1. Install latest firmware, if not already installed.
2. Perform IMU calibration.
3. Calibrate Gimbal
4. Reset camera settings

It appears this process is sort of their "master reset" as it fixes other issues as well. This video shows where to find the calibration and reset options (note: this is for fixing a focus issue, but it's the same exact steps).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo