DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Written Notification Letter & Go-By

ChasD

Reactions
I live in the suburban Chicago area and have 7 heliports (hospitals and corporations) that are within 5 miles of my residence. I also have 1 private residential airport within the five mile perimeter but it didn't show up on the FAA B4UFly app. I'm going to include that airport in the notification process as an abundance of caution and a to show my compliance efforts. None of these facilities have an active control tower and they are located at distances from 1.55 - 4.9 miles from the flight area.

I've been reading the various posts regarding notifications and will probably run into the same problems of people being unaware of the process or they just don't care. I decided to send notification via a signed letter sent through USPS Certified or Registered mail. I just want to occasionally fly the Mavic from my back yard while complying with the regulations.

The FAA B4UFly app identified the facilities, but did not list the addresses, airport manager names or telephone numbers. I used Skyvector.com which allows you enter the facility FAA Identifier # to obtain the missing information free of charge. I also requested that the manager contact me if he had a different notification request. I feel this method should be sufficient given the individual circumstances and lack of detailed guidance regarding notification.

My personal opinion is that digital notification via the AirMap app of something similar would be the best possible solution for this process. Airport Managers would have real time access to all the necessary information if they had a valid safety concern for a specific circumstance or area. I also noticed that some airports are already requesting notification via email or a fill in the blank form on their web page.

I've attached a PDF copy of the notification letter to this posting for review and any comments.

Thanks in Advance,

ChasD

Attachments

• FAA Notification Go By.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 92
I just changed this line "Please consider this letter to be notification and advise if you require a different form of notification." to "Please consider this letter as notification and advise if you require a different form of notification."

I also removed the Operating Area section and just listed my address and Longitude and Latitude. I also listed a phone number and email address that I could be contacted at.

Thanks for putting this together and listing the way one can track down the pertinent details of their local airport/heliport using the skyvector.com website.

Good catch on the email and phone number...I missed that when I converted my original into the PDF posted here. I also agree with the change regarding the operating area...a little redundant and no need to repeat it.

Don't they want specific times and locations you want to fly so they can tell you if there's going to be air traffic in your area at that time? Because if you're just saying you'll be within 5 miles and might fly at any time up to 400ft it seems like you could be in the path of a landing aircraft and they won't be ready for it.

iPhone 6S

I did something very similar and included the dates and approximate times. I did follow up with a phone call the first time I flew and they said everything was fine. I have 7 heliports in the area I now fly in.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The heliports are all in the area of 1.4 to 4.9 miles away and I haven't seen a helicopter at anywhere near that altitude in the 35 years that I've been in this house. I can't think of a possible scenario that would put them that low, but I'd still have to yield to any manned aircraft.

I'm also giving the manager the option to select a different method of notification. I understand the safety aspect and the requirement for compliance but it doesn't appear that there is an adequate definition or procedure for notification. What if they don't answer the phone? Is a voicemail message sufficient? I'm also concerned about the verbal communication becoming an issue of proof regarding the call or what was actually discussed.

I really believe the best method would be digital communication for each flight that would notify all parties in a single/simple transaction. The AirMap app offers that solution and it follows the logic of filing a flight plan for manned aircraft. The drone operator logs the pertinent flight info into the app and the airport/heliport managers receive immediate notification. The manager then has the option of contacting the drone operator if unsafe conditions exist.

All said, I've been flying a toy drone in my back yard for several years and I'd like to do the same with the Mavic. I want to obey the regulation and support this hobby by compliance and safe operation of the drone. I also like the suggestion of a follow up call to exchange any concerns.

Sound good. I'll check out that app. As far as getting out of the way when an aircraft comes along, I do with the Mavic could descend faster. It ascends twice as fast in sport mode but descent doesn't change. Probably a limitation of the hardware trying to keep upright on the descent, or recover from a rapid descent quickly.

iPhone 6S

Here's a better link which explains AirMap being used at the Houston Airport. Also, the AirMap for iOS Lets Drone Pilots......is a link for an article in Wired Magazine.

AirMap.com has additional links for other videos.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

First let me say that I will continue to use Airmap - because I like the airspace functionality. I don't like the outdated numbers that they get straight from the FAA database (FAA's fault - not AirMap).
Secondly, and most critical:
Don't rely on Airmap to cover your notification. I had been using AirMap to notify Portland International Airport for recreational use - since AirMap said that PDX "Accepts Digital Notification". So, I called the airport operations and ATC. I asked them about AirMap. They said they'd heard of it last year when AirMap offered to let them try it out. But they'd since deleted the app and don't get notification. Ultimately, they knew nothing about how it worked - nor D-NAS! I offered to do a test for ATC & they never got notified. Turns out it's voluntary. It follows out that AirMap specified PDX as a "Digital Notice" facility because they "thought" PDX was using it. I went further to investigate this - since I also do commercial 107 jobs (which doesn't work with AirMap notification - you have to get a waiver through the FAA website).

Ultimately, the FAA lawyer had this to say about AirMap leading drone pilots to believe that they have "notified" the airport by using their app:
---------------------------------------------
"Not much we can do but I don’t think the electronic notification even when it goes to airport management is sufficient in that the interpretive rule contemplates some sort of two way interaction – the operator notifies and the airport operator/ATC can object.
(name withheld)
Senior Attorney
Enforcement Division"

--------------------------------------------
Sooo.... If you don't want a violation - don't count on the airport having been "notified" - even if that airport "Accepts Digital Notification". You still have to call - according to the Enforcement Division of the FAA. I didn't put the attorney's name or location here because I didn't let them know I'd be publishing his statement. In the case of PDX, you call the PDX Airport Noise Hotline, tell them your plan, then they forward you to the Tower for confirmation. The noise hotline, strangely, are the people at PDX who put you in touch with the ATC guy/gal who can "deny" - but not approve your flight.

Again, I like AirMap - but they are leading us to believe you are covered. You are not - according to the FAA. They D-NAS is a great system - but not everyone who has seen it has chosen to get on board. I find it strange.

Reactions: kennedye
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000