DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yaw drift since firmware update?

taryn

Reactions
Hi guys, new to the forum so please be gentle. Since the last firmware update I've noticed that my Mavic has a slight yaw drift, regardless of momentum. Whether it's going straight ahead / flying backwards or hovering, it always seems to want to slightly rotate to the right. Manual photography in low light is currently non existent, it's that noticeable.

I have never crashed it, I'm an experienced pilot and only assume that it's since the last update, but any tips? Ive read that recalibration of the IMU might work, but also read that you shouldn't really fiddle with that too much. Has anyone else been having this problem, and if so how did you overcome it?

Reactions: Rauli Oinonen
When your Mavic is hovering in place, are you saying it'll just keep yawing slowly to the right -- eventually yawing in a complete 360 degree circle?

Reactions: Clear Water WI
When your Mavic is hovering in place, are you saying it'll just keep yawing slowly to the right -- eventually yawing in a complete 360 degree circle?

That's correct, exactly right. It's very slight, but over a distance it goes well off course. If hovering stationary, then yes it would do a complete 360.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Try calibrating the remote controller -- like this:

Reactions: taryn
Try calibrating the remote controller -- like this:

Thanks for that, however I probably should have mentioned that this was actually the first thing I did, but alas it's made no difference.

The next step would be to calibrate the IMU.

Update:

Long story short: I have a Garmin Fenix watch, and the compass on it was always active. Every time I calibrated the compass, it was most likely interfering. After removing watch I did a recalibration and now not one problem!

Was the compass still calibrating without error while wearing the watch?

Reactions: Rauli Oinonen
Was the compass still calibrating without error while wearing the watch?

Correct, while wearing the watch, the compass was giving no indication of error when calibrating. I'm not too technically minded, but I'm pretty confident it was the active compass on my watch that was giving false positives to the mavic during calibration.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Update:

Long story short: I have a Garmin Fenix watch, and the compass on it was always active. Every time I calibrated the compass, it was most likely interfering. After removing watch I did a recalibration and now not one problem!

Having same issue, so after removing watch, you recalibrated IMU or joystick, or both? Thanks

Having same issue, so after removing watch, you recalibrated IMU or joystick, or both? Thanks

I've posted on another thread too, but my solution was this:
1. Refresh firmware and reset default settings. Restart drone.
2. Calibrate IMU while drone is cold, on a perfectly level surface. Restart.
3. Calibrate compass away from all interference (including the controller). Restart.

Worked for me!

I have a Samsung Gear S3 watch and noticed if I bring my watch anywhere near the Mavic the magnetic interference will spike. I have since been sure to keep it far away while doing the calibration dance and flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143