DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1.5x Crop w/ 4K @ 60?

westwind77

Reactions
Exploring the setting with the drone on the desk I noticed that when I change to anything above 4K @ 30 it crops/zoom in to 1.5x - why is that?

Is the resolution of the video the same 4K - it is us using less of the sensor I would assume the image size/resolution would be reduced as well.

Just looking for a bit more detail on this - thanks!

Exploring the setting with the drone on the desk I noticed that when I change to anything above 4K @ 30 it crops/zoom in to 1.5x - why is that?

Is the resolution of the video the same 4K - it is us using less of the sensor I would assume the image size/resolution would be reduced as well.

on what drone?

It would be 5.4k for the whole sensor so it’s just cropping into a 4k area of the sensor so it has to read out fewer pixels. Probably can’t handle reading out all the pixels that fast. This is pretty typical. Actually the fact that it can record in 4k 30 without a crop should be the more confusing part, it has to use one of various tricks for that. Not sure which one.

Bottom line is you are still getting 4k. It’s using less of the sensor yes but that’s the trade off for higher frame rates. This is typical on most cameras that record high frame rates, to what degree is dependent on the camera and the native resolution. The higher the resolution the more crop you get.

Just looking to clarify a bit here....

On the screen the FOV with 5.4k @ 4k both at @ 24 is the same - So when shooting 4k @ 24-30 you get the FULL sensor size for imaging, but only at 4k.

If you increase it to 4K @ 60 then it will reduce the image size to a 'true' 4k image instead of using the full 5.4k sensor ability width.

I have a feeling I am going to have to do a test flight and change the settings keeping it in one place and compare later in Davinci.

On the screen the FOV with 5.4k @ 4k both at @ 24 is the same - So when shooting 4k @ 24-30 you get the FULL sensor size for imaging, but only at 4k.
Correct. It’s using some combination of pixel binning and line skipping to get to 4k from a 5.4k image for 24-30 fps. This is why shooting in 5.4k and downsampling to 4k in post is better than recording straight to 4k in camera.
If you increase it to 4K @ 60 then it will reduce the image size to a 'true' 4k image instead of using the full 5.4k sensor ability width
Yep exactly. Unless you need to shoot higher frame rates for some reason just shoot 5.4k for best results. I’m not sure what “true 4k” means, both are 4k. Which is better, cropping in to get to 4k or pixel binning/line skipping the full sensor is open to interpretation. On the M2Pro the crop in 4k called “HQ” mode was much better quality.

Reactions: westwind77
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom