DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

10 bit color?

bmoore1118

Reactions
For the past year I have only been flying with h.264 and 8 bit color on my air 2s.

I just got the m1 iPad pro and lumifusion and have the power to edit 10 bit 265 videos.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with 10 bit and the different modes (normal, d-log and HLG)

Looking around they say that HLG is an HDR version of the video but playing around with the setting last night the shot just looked really washed out compared to the normal version.

Also as I understand that d-log is like Raw photos and you have to color grade the export.

Any advice or help with all of this information would be very helpful! Thanks!

They are washed out because log files are low contrast by design to make as much dynamic range available as possible. That is where your raw analogy comes in. You have to process the video to get the contrast and colors you want.

Reactions: bmoore1118
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with 10 bit and the different modes (normal, d-log and HLG)
Normal will always be 8-bit on the Air 2s. D-Log edits pretty easily and works in 10-bit, giving you quite a bit more control over contrast, color and detail. I recommend recording some LOG footage and Normal footage on the same flight and route, then editing to the best of your ability. Normal will do a good job and output looking pretty natural other than a bit of exaggerated green. What you get from LOG will depend entirely on your edit.

Reactions: Bransty
For the past year I have only been flying with h.264 and 8 bit color on my air 2s.

I just got the m1 iPad pro and lumifusion and have the power to edit 10 bit 265 videos.

Looking around they say that HLG is an HDR version of the video but playing around with the setting last night the shot just looked really washed out compared to the normal version.

Also as I understand that d-log is like Raw photos and you have to color grade the export.

You need to change the color space of the timeline to HDR-HLG in the preferences menu for the HLG to work in HDR in lumafusion. Without doing that Lumafusion will be trying to output HLG as rec 709 which is not going to look good.

Once you get it set up right the HLG should look mind blowing on the M1 iPad Pro. You’ll know when it’s working right

Last edited:
Reactions: bmoore1118
Is there a recommended LUT for HLG to be used in Resolve?
To work with HLG as HDR in Resolve the easiest thing to do would be to go to color management in the project settings and change color science to DaVinci YRGB Color Managed.

Have automatic color management turned on for simplicity and change Color processing mode to HDR.

For output color space switch to HDR HLG.

You’ll then need to select your HLG footage in the media pool the right click and go to input color space and select rec 2100 HLG.

An important note is you must have a monitor that supports HDR. If your monitor doesn’t support HDR then you can’t edit in HDR. (the XDR display on the M1 iPad Pro is HDR capable)

If you want to convert the HLG footage for editing on a rec 709 timeline because you don’t have an HDR monitor follow the steps above but then just go back to the project settings color management and change the output color space to SDR rec 709.

HLG is a standardized gamma with a standardized colorspace so it does not require a LUT to convert it to rec 709 and using resolve color managment is a much better way to convert color spaces because it uses tone mapping instead of just one size fits all numerical conversion. This is one reason I much prefer to record HLG over D-log. DJI doesn’t do a good job of color management for their log profiles.

One of the most significant differences is "banding". 10-bit color/luminance will eliminate nearly all obvious visible banding. Usually worst in the sky area (large area with very small gradual changes). Also, especially in landscapes there is an overall impression of a "better" picture.

I shoot all my video in HLG which I can easily post process in Davinci Resolve into HDR10. HDR10 can be viewed on most new, decent TV displays (my preference is LG OLED). You can even upload HDR10 to YouTube. YouTube will process that source into several SDR resolutions as well as HDR 4K (looks really good if you have an HDR capable display). You can check out a few examples of HLG processed into HDR10 on my YouTube channel (Roamer105). Make sure to select the highest possible quality on YouTube. If you do and your display can do HDR, it will switch to HDR.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada