DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

107 exam?

R1Mavic

Reactions
Is this difficult to obtain? Thinking about doing it, since I've started the process of using my drone to make 'lunch' money.

Reactions: BigAl07
Many people mention the test can be easily passed, so you likely won't struggle with it if you take the time to study. You can find a list of commonly used FAA Part 107 study resources here.

Is this difficult to obtain? Thinking about doing it, since I've started the process of using my drone to make 'lunch' money.
Difficult to obtain? No. It's easier, and in most cases far cheaper, than almost any other country that requires certification. There is an unlimited supply of information and test questions on YouTube and elsewhere. Step 1 is to watch Tony Northrup's video. Also visit his web page for a summary of what you will need to learn. The 3DR practice exam is here. It is very similar to the actual exam. The FAA Official Study Guide is here. Regardless of what other information you acquire, I would definitely start with those three things.

Difficult to obtain? No. It's easier, and in most cases far cheaper, than almost any other country that requires certification. There is an unlimited supply of information and test questions on YouTube and elsewhere. Step 1 is to watch Tony Northrup's video. Also visit his web page for a summary of what you will need to learn. The 3DR practice exam is here. It is very similar to the actual exam. The FAA Official Study Guide is here. Regardless of what other information you acquire, I would definitely start with those three things.
Very much appreciate you providing this information.

I did exactly what is written in post #3 above and had no trouble passing the exam. The process was fun and I'm sure that I'm a better pilot for having done it. I was the only one taking the test when I took it at a local airport. After completing the test the computer grades it on the spot, so you know immediately how well you did.

FYI - I passed my 107 test on March 26. It took just 8 days to get the temporary certificate in email and 5 weeks after that to get the wallet card in the mail. I'm still waiting for the actual certificate.

Reactions: R1Mavic
I took the exam March 15 at a local airport flight school, got the temporary cert on the spot, but nothing more from the FAA. My online login at Dronezone says I'm certified, yet it's been almost 2 months and no license in the mail. Is this normal?

• Sad
Reactions: W2EJ
I took the exam March 15 at a local airport flight school, got the temporary cert on the spot, but nothing more from the FAA. My online login at Dronezone says I'm certified, yet it's been almost 2 months and no license in the mail. Is this normal?
I don’t know if it is normal but I am in the exact same holding pattern. I keep a copy of notarized Airman Knowledge Test Report date 4/19/19 with me when operating drone. I created an account on the FAA IACRA system. I really don’t care if I ever get the wallet card if by some wild chance a FAA official approaches me I am confident the paper copy will cover any questions about my certification.

With all the effort it took on my part to pass their silly test with no demonstration of operating skills who cares about a piece of paper in your wallet. By the way I got a 92% which shocked me. I knew two of the four questions I missed and just made a cursor mistake.

2 months is average. You'll get it any day now.

i second all three links specified. just passed my test less than a week ago, and all three is all i used. you really dont need anything else. you will actually need to know a lot of this info, so dont treat it as a chore and you will be surprised how easy the test becomes.

stupid question: did you register with FAA's IACRA site ~48 hours after the test?

Many people mention the test can be easily passed, so you likely won't struggle with it if you take the time to study. You can find a list of commonly used FAA Part 107 study resources here.
You will not pass if you don’t study... maybe if you happen to not get any aeronautical map questions ... actually there is a great deal of info and tricky answers on top of that.. everyone gets different versions of the test .. there’s no way I would have passed without studying. What class of airport is dotted blue line? What is pressure altitude? Which airports are listed in altitude above ground and which altitude above sea level? No way

Reactions: strdr and Rich55
I studied about an hour a day for 2 weeks and yesterday passed the 107 test with an 87% (52 of 60). Mostly used "Sporty's Drone Study Buddy - Remote Pilot Test Prep."
About half the Sporty's study questions were exactly as on test. 30% were similar enough to easily figure out and the rest, some of which I'd not seen covered anywhere, could be deduced logically.

Reactions: R1Mavic
I studied about an hour a day for 2 weeks and yesterday passed the 107 test with an 87% (52 of 60). Mostly used "Sporty's Drone Study Buddy - Remote Pilot Test Prep."
About half the Sporty's study questions were exactly as on test. 30% were similar enough to easily figure out and the rest, some of which I'd not seen covered anywhere, could be deduced logically.
Congrats! Thanks for the tip.

I did exactly what is written in post #3 above and had no trouble passing the exam. The process was fun and I'm sure that I'm a better pilot for having done it. I was the only one taking the test when I took it at a local airport. After completing the test the computer grades it on the spot, so you know immediately how well you did.
Thanx ranger. I'm in the process of studying now

I should add one thing. I went online and bought a paper copy of the sectional chart for my part of the country. Having that to refer to is very helpful, especially studying the legend and marginal notes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty