DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

16 flights in with my MA2

KC2LLW

Reactions
Hello All,
So I have 16 flights so far with my MA2. Most of the flights have been short and in T mode. My last 3 have been a little longer and in normal mode. I have a IPad which is mounted VIA a hangable DYI mount which seems to work well. I have noticed a few things that seem to concern me. I flew out about 2,000 feet and the RC signal strength meter was a red color, is that telling me I lost signal? I could still see the video and control the aircraft but I did return home Just in case. It lands spot on when returning home but seems to shake or shimmy slightly as it is landing in normal mode? I wonder if the DYI hangable IPad holder is blocking the antenna signal. If I do lose contact with the aircraft will it come home on its own As long as it has battery power let? I really like the MA2 and enjoy flying it, it is really a great drone for the $$ the pictures and video’s are amazing! I almost want to buy a mini just to compare the two LOL.
Thanks,
Steve

It should if you have the parameters set properly. I've done it with my Autel XSP with no issues. I've only got one flight on my MA2 but I will put this test to the test when I test this test. Testing 1,2,3.

I find if I go higher I will regain signal, other times I keep flying and it goes orange then back to white, I believe this has something to do with it being in auto and switching channels or it’s just normal idk. Only had it 2 miles away so far but that was me being surrounded by trees, once I get in mountains where I have LOS for miles I’m sure it will do 4-5 miles easy

Both frequencies used have problems with objects between the controller and the drone. I get about the same distance you did when flying at home with a lot of homes and trees. Increasing altitude may help as there are fewer objects in the line of transmission. Over water or open land I get great distances which I have not fully tested. This is a normal constraint. The shaking thing I'm not sure about.

Yeah, I did have about an acre of trees between me and the MA2 but I was up about 200 feet maybe the iPad mount is not helping as the iPad rest on top of the antenna too. If weather permits Tomorrow I will try to fly with my iPhone to see if it does any better

Reactions: SmilingOgre
You will get use to it. RTH, altitude and Fail Safe are your friends. Make sure you set the correct RTH altitude, have sufficient battery, always fly headwind and you will be fine.

Untill you hear Aircraft disconnected,"" and see the red warning on the screen, you are in range.The red color just show you that the signal is getting weak, but still works.Do not worry to lose the signal, the drone will initiate home return itself. After few seconds, the signal will back and you can cancel the RTH and continue the flight. Something very very important is - approx at 10% of battery level, the app will tell you that the drone will land. This is not really true...if you do nothing, yes, she will land, but you are still able to control it and continue the fligh till bring it to your location.So do not panic and just proceed with the piloting. Of course, this is not recommended, but good to know...good luck and safe flying...

Typically, I increase altitude with distance. As soon as I see a glitch on my screen as I move farther away, I ascend while advancing.

Thanks, all good information. I have my setting set at RTH if signal lost and altitude is set at 220'. I don't go below 35% battery flying. Most trees in this area are no taller than 95' or so. I am flying in North NJ right now where it is hilly and a lot of houses, they are on an acre or so but I am sure they have plenty of Wifi in them. I am not at my farm in Bethel NY right now where it is just trees and fields not many homes there.When using my phone or iPad should I be in airplane mode or Wifi? Also does the drone see altitude changes such as hills and valley's?
Thanks everyone for your help!
Steve

the app will tell you that the drone will land. This is not really true...if you do nothing, yes, she will land, but you are still able to control it and continue the fligh till bring it to your location.So do not panic and just proceed with the piloting.
continue the flight yes...bring it to your location...uh not so much...If it were me and the terrain below was good but not so good (like trees and houses)between me and the drone...I would pick an open area and land. If you're in a familiar location it's a very simple decision. If you're unfamiliar it's not so easy but keep in mind..drones don't glide. When it decides to land the descent is going to be vertical or darned near.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121