DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st flight and a question - Obstacle sensors range?

RGallant

Reactions
I had my 1st test flight and drone flew fine, a few quirks but I was in very restricted airspace - a driveway surrounded by trees. This was just a low altitude test of the camera and the drone hovered and moved correctly.

The remote would beep fairly often but I suspect this was largely obstacle detection as getting out towards the street tended to get rid of the beeps. I have no time to get to a nice open space for a few days to confirm this true. However would this be expected behavior, the space is perhaps 25 feet wide with large vegetation on both sides and above - there is some clear sky above.

I could not find any specific information on obstacle sensor ranges, and when beeping starts to confirm this, and I am not anywhere near ready for sport mode yet.

I did calibrate everything prior to the 1st flight, sticks look good in the calibration utility, move well, and return to center. Apologies if I missed this info in my search attempt.

I have no time to get to a nice open space for a few days.
It sounds like the area you flew in is not a suitable spot for learning to fly.
Collision with obstacles is the major cause of problems and obstacle detection is not foolproof.
A large, clear area well away from trees, buildings and other obstacles is best for learning to fly.
When there's nothing to hit, it's hard to get into trouble.

I could not find any specific information on obstacle sensor ranges
Here's the relevant section from the Specs for the mavic Air:
Forward
Precision Measurement Range: 0.5 - 12 m
Detectable Range: 0.5 - 24 m
Effective Sensing Speed: ≤ 8 m/s
Field of View (FOV): Horizontal 50°, Vertical ±19°

Backward
Precision Measurement Range: 0.5 - 10 m
Detectable Range: 0.5 - 20 m
Effective Sensing Speed: ≤ 8 m/s
Field of View (FOV): Horizontal 50°, Vertical ±19°

Downward Altitude Range: 0.1 - 8 m
Operating Range: 0.5 - 30 m

Operating Environment
Forward:
Surface with clear pattern and adequate lighting (lux > 15)

Backward:
Surface with clear pattern and adequate lighting (lux > 15)

Downward:
Detects clearly patterned surfaces with adequate lighting (lux>15) and diffuse reflectivity (>20%)

@Meta4 thank you for your reply and the data, and not yes suitable for learning. All I want to do was test auto take off, compass calibration, stability and stick function/calibration. I figured locked in beginner mode those would be ok, it occurred to me after the fact obstacle sensors might not be happy.

But all the basics work, so now I just need to drive to a nice big open area, away from water. There are a few but they are a bit of drive so best for the weekend.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929