DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st Gen Mavic Pro Platinum or Mavic 2 zoom

phil4all

Reactions
I have the DJI Spark but am looking to upgrade in the next few weeks. I have right around $1200 to spend. Is the Zoom a significant upgrade from the 1st Gen Mavics or do you guys think in your opinions that the 1st Gen is still viable? If i went with the 1st Gen pro, i could spend the extra money on an extra battery and probably a carrying case but i don't want to miss out if the Zoom is a truly better product. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks guys.

It is beginning to look like there is a big problem in the batteries or something on the M2's There is more than a few threads that prove there are unexplained power losses, or system failures happening at more than trivial rate. I would wait a bit to see what develops there before I would buy an M2. BUT that is just me, you asked for opinions!.
For the price difference on the MP, MPP, and the M2 ALL will give you what you pay for, and would be much more capable than your spark.

I feel like you can always add a battery or case later but you can't add a zoom to your drone later.

I had a similar question about getting a fully accessorized Mavic Air for 1k or Pro 2 for 1.5k and I was told I'd be happier with the better kit than with a bigger one in the long run. Also in the short run.

That said if you're actually saving money by going first Gen instead of just spending it on accessories then it becomes a more difficult question. $600 for a, probably lightly, used kit or $1200 for the latest and greatest is more a question of your level of interest.

You said any opinions welcome so to be clear I'm a complete noob on this subject but I offer my insight as someone who recently had to make the same choice and yes I think the first gen is still viable and yes if you're spending the same money regardless I think the second gen is the way to go.

If money is not a problem, nothing is wrong to buy the most advance and latest drone from Dji, as wisdom word says: you will get what you paid. But, another thing that I always consider about is something that was being said by ac0j, new technology needs time to be mature and reliable.
I was in the same boat with you, some month ago when dji launches his new dji mavic. I must be happy if only I have the latest and most advance dji product, but after I tried to think a little bit more deeper, I have this consideration: what is my purpose to have drone for? My hobby or my work? When I realized that drone is only a 'toy' in my life, and I am not a professional in this field I suppose to be able to say enough with what I have.
So, if I were you, I am going to buy the first generation of MP with some batteries, that will make you have more than enough time to fly with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+