Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Men Face Prison After Drones Fly In Super Bowl Airspace

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
This doesn't add a LOT of information to what many of us already know but it does add an addtional operator and charges. This could be interesting and set a precedence for all of us going forward:

2 Men Face Prison After Drones Fly In Super Bowl Airspace​

Two men are facing federal prison after being accused of flying drones in areas that were restricted due to the Super Bowl.​

What you think the outcome will be. Maybe a hefty fine .
I find it hard to believe they would get time unless they
had been warned before even if they knew better.

According to that article, they were both licensed for 107 and knew about the TFR in place. They knew better.

From the press release from the Department of Justice for the charges filed against one of the pilots, the maximum sentence would be 1 year. I can't imagine they would push for jail time, it's more likely that they would be fined.

I agree with @anotherlab as it will most likely be "just" fines and probably some form of "Community Service" along the lines or speaking to schools and groups about UAS Rules/Regulations and why they are important.

I do hope the fines are significant and neither of these guys are allowed to fly under Part 107 ever again.

Where are these places where the drone was observed it doesn't sound like they were particularly interested in the superbowl but were caught out on the periphery of the technically limited area - they mention a hotel.

Where are these places where the drone was observed it doesn't sound like they were particularly interested in the superbowl but were caught out on the periphery of the technically limited area - they mention a hotel.
It was posted in the press release from the DoJ specifically where one of them was flying. It was at at the USF Health, CAMLS building. According to Google Maps, that's a 5-mile drive from Raymond James Stadium. As the drone flies, it's much less:

1613534156665.png

The TFR for Super Bowl LV was a 30 mile radius around Raymond James Stadium. To put that in perspective, this is what that would look like:

1613534478198.png
It was a big TFR. and those pilots knew that they were flying inside it. They rolled the dice and came up with snake eyes. They can't plead ignorance, not with a Part 107 license. That's kind of the point of holding a 107, knowing not to do this.

I can't see any jail time, not for what appears to be a first offense, and (at least the pilot in the news release) they were a few miles away. Even if the DoJ says "no harm, no foul", there's going to be a fine. They wouldn't have bothered with a news release if they were just going to let them off with a warning. No matter what the legal penalties are, this is going to cost them real money in attorney fees.

It was posted in the press release from the DoJ specifically where one of them was flying. It was at at the USF Health, CAMLS building. According to Google Maps, that's a 5-mile drive from Raymond James Stadium. As the drone flies, it's much less:

View attachment 123947

The TFR for Super Bowl LV was a 30 mile radius around Raymond James Stadium. To put that in perspective, this is what that would look like:

View attachment 123948
It was a big TFR. and those pilots knew that they were flying inside it. They rolled the dice and came up with snake eyes. They can't plead ignorance, not with a Part 107 license. That's kind of the point of holding a 107, knowing not to do this.

I can't see any jail time, not for what appears to be a first offense, and (at least the pilot in the news release) they were a few miles away. Even if the DoJ says "no harm, no foul", there's going to be a fine. They wouldn't have bothered with a news release if they were just going to let them off with a warning. No matter what the legal penalties are, this is going to cost them real money in attorney fees.
Thanks for that update ?
At first glance I was on the “throw the book at them” bandwagon, but while they knew better, I don’t think the offense warrants jail time. Now, if they, or actually the drone, was less than a mile from the stadium, I’d climb back on the bandwagon. There’s too many crazies around to take any chances.

I agree with @anotherlab as it will most likely be "just" fines and probably some form of "Community Service" along the lines or speaking to schools and groups about UAS Rules/Regulations and why they are important.

I do hope the fines are significant and neither of these guys are allowed to fly under Part 107 ever again.
I know a guy who violated a Super Bowl TFR in the past. Penalty was $5000 and forfeiture of his drone. My understanding is that’s pretty typical.

Thanks for that update ?
At first glance I was on the “throw the book at them” bandwagon, but while they knew better, I don’t think the offense warrants jail time. Now, if they, or actually the drone, was less than a mile from the stadium, I’d climb back on the bandwagon. There’s too many crazies around to take any chances.
The distance makes no difference to me. If they knew better and were inside the restricted area then I support throwing the book at them. The rules are simple and clear and if you want to breach them then be prepared for the repurcussions. How far inside the zone is irrelevant and is not open for personal judgement. Do the crime do the time.

What would have happened if at that range something went wrong and it fell into a dense crowd.
Still a fine if they kill someone.

Not looking for a fight, just informative answers.
How were they traced?
What would be the situation if j doe switches a drone on inside the nfz? Or flies within an escape proof containment inside the nfz e.g his house or hotel room?

Not looking for a fight, just informative answers.
How were they traced?
What would be the situation if j doe switches a drone on inside the nfz? Or flies within an escape proof containment inside the nfz e.g his house or hotel room?
It's in the press release from the DoJ...

West Palm Beach Man Charged With Unlawfully Operating Drone In Restricted Airspace Related To Super Bowl LV said:
...FBI agents saw an unmanned aircraft system (UAS), commonly referred to as a “drone,” flying near the USF Health CAMLS building—an area within the TFR. FBI agents later located Canty, the operator of the drone, nearby in downtown Tampa.

I am unable to launch my drone(s) in a NFZ or TFZ

Reactions: Thomas B
For me the biggest issue to come from the actions of these two,(unable to call them a name i would like to use,because of forum rules),is the detrimental effect it will probably have on all those people in the US who have gone to the trouble of passing their part 107,to demonstrate their commitment to flying in a safe and professional manner ,they should be prevented from ever flying again and their part 107s cancelled ,they did a disservice to us all

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143