DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2nd flight and I'm a bag of nerves.

Mike T.

Reactions
Today was my 2nd flight with the Air 2 inherited from my daughter who is too busy to fly it. To say I was a bag of nerves is an understatement. I've read the online manual three times, I've printed off a few pages, highlighted some critical stuff and practiced a few take-offs and landings in my backyard (to head height).
So I set up my stuff in a quiet corner of a local park, away from other people. Of course I'm a shy flyer. I don't want an audience. If I can see you, you're too close.
I set the drone flight parameters for something modest - about 135 feet height and 600 feet of lateral travel. I set my Home Point with the drone on and above my landing pad. Eventually I had to get this thing up in the air! So off it went. I had it in sight, barely, until I looked down at my phone screen. I looked back and it was gone. I couldn't find it anywhere. I figured the (Mod Removed Language) thing had flown off to Timbuktu. But from the camera image I could see that *I* was still in sight so all was not lost.
The next phase of the flight was something that I had to experience before I would believe it was possible - RTH. I pressed the button! Now I wait for the miracle to happen!
All of a sudden there it was - 100' up and over the landing pad. Down she came and it nearly hit the bullseye. OMG!!! What an experience!
But all this leads me to a comment. I've read tons of rules and everything says "fly LOS". How the hell do you do that when at any decent height and distance this thing is barely a spot in the sky? Cummon now guys and girls, do you really keep your drone in sight at all times?
I'm sure I'll feel more at ease when I've done a handful of flights. But until then I'll be white-knuckling every one.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the rules in Canada and most other places require that you keep your drone in VLOS (Visual Line of Sight) so that you can maintain situational awareness at all times and ensure the safety of your flight and any manned flight that might be in the area.

Also, not sure if you are aware but to fly the Air 2 you must have at least your Basic Pilots Licence (an online course you must take) and you must register the drone with Transport Canada. Here is the link to the Transport Canada website.

Chris

Reactions: Mike T.
The Air 2 is a great flyer. I have one myself. Always fly with GPS and Home Point Established. When you take off, fly straight up and hover at around 21 feet for around 39 seconds before flying off. This will allow for precision landings with RTH.

If you are a newbie, altitude is your friend. There's not a lot of objects your drone can collide with at altitude.

Enjoy.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the rules in Canada and most other places require that you keep your drone in VLOS (Visual Line of Sight) so that you can maintain situational awareness at all times and ensure the safety of your flight and any manned flight that might be in the area.

Also, not sure if you are aware but to fly the Air 2 you must have at least your Basic Pilots Licence (an online course you must take) and you must register the drone with Transport Canada. Here is the link to the Transport Canada website.

Chris
Yes I have the license. That was the easy part.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Truth to tell, I don't have the drone in sight most of the time.
I don't think much flying would get done if strict LOS was adhered to. Poster Chrislaf just said "the rules in Canada and most other places require that you keep your drone in VLOS (Visual Line of Sight) so that you can maintain situational awareness at all times and ensure the safety of your flight and any manned flight that might be in the area."
I understand what he said and I understand the rules but that means, as I found out, that I can't take my eyes off it for a second, even at maybe 120 feet height. At four hundred feet? Not a chance of seeing a drone. Not by my eyes. anyway.

Last edited:
Today was my 2nd flight with the Air 2 inherited from my daughter who is too busy to fly it. To say I was a bag of nerves is an understatement. I've read the online manual three times, I've printed off a few pages, highlighted some critical stuff and practiced a few take-offs and landings in my backyard (to head height).
So I set up my stuff in a quiet corner of a local park, away from other people. Of course I'm a shy flyer. I don't want an audience. If I can see you, you're too close.
I set the drone flight parameters for something modest - about 135 feet height and 600 feet of lateral travel. I set my Home Point with the drone on and above my landing pad. Eventually I had to get this thing up in the air! So off it went. I had it in sight, barely, until I looked down at my phone screen. I looked back and it was gone. I couldn't find it anywhere. I figured the (Mod Removed Language) thing had flown off to Timbuktu. But from the camera image I could see that *I* was still in sight so all was not lost.
The next phase of the flight was something that I had to experience before I would believe it was possible - RTH. I pressed the button! Now I wait for the miracle to happen!
All of a sudden there it was - 100' up and over the landing pad. Down she came and it nearly hit the bullseye. OMG!!! What an experience!
But all this leads me to a comment. I've read tons of rules and everything says "fly LOS". How the hell do you do that when at any decent height and distance this thing is barely a spot in the sky? Cummon now guys and girls, do you really keep your drone in sight at all times?
I'm sure I'll feel more at ease when I've done a handful of flights. But until then I'll be white-knuckling every one.
Welcome to the club, Mike ! I know the feeling you have. I have about 20 flight on my Air 2. The more you fly, the more you realize what an incredible machine you are controlling! I can look away from the drone for a few seconds, and it may take 5-10 seconds to find it again....
Then I realize that nothing happened while I "lost" sight. It is still exactly where it was, whether you see it or not. I did buy a FAA approved light for it for about $18. It should help with visually finding it.
Relax, and trust your machine !!

Reactions: maggior and Mike T.
An orange wrap also makes it more visible to your neighbors as you fly over their yards and balconies.
Luckily, all my neighbors in the subdivision know I have a drone and look forward to videos of their streets from above or 4th of July videos I post on the Facebook subdivision group. I've even gotten a job out of one of them from my postings.

Welcome to the club, Mike ! I know the feeling you have. I have about 20 flight on my Air 2. The more you fly, the more you realize what an incredible machine you are controlling! I can look away from the drone for a few seconds, and it may take 5-10 seconds to find it again....
Then I realize that nothing happened while I "lost" sight. It is still exactly where it was, whether you see it or not. I did buy a FAA approved light for it for about $18. It should help with visually finding it.
Relax, and trust your machine !!
Thanks for the encouraging words Camel. Yes I realize it's early stages for me, it's all new and overwhelming at times. But I'm sure comfort will come soon - just as soon as I get to trust this drone's incredible engineering. Once I get my head around "let go of the sticks and it will hover in place and there's almost zero chance of it zooming off in a random direction" I'll feel much better.

Reactions: maggior
Luckily, all my neighbors in the subdivision know I have a drone and look forward to videos of their streets from above or 4th of July videos I post on the Facebook subdivision group. I've even gotten a job out of one of them from my postings.
Apparently you have the right approach to get along with your neighbors first and then not doing anything to antagonize the neighbors.

Cummon now guys and girls, do you really keep your drone in sight at all times?
To answer your question, no. When you look up and can't see it you have all the information of location, direction, altitude, distance from you, all in front of you, trust it. No need to jump too RTH.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!

I’m relatively new to piloting a DJI Drone and am glad to see the question, as I sort of have it myself.

One thing that has helped me a bit is to use the compass display. If you lose VLOS, it can tell you which direction the drone is from you - which direction to look - and also which way it is facing. If you still don’t see it, you can turn the drone until it’s pointing back at you and fly back toward yourself. I’ve found a lot of times you don’t have to fly too far back toward you until you see it again. And also that it wasn’t actually out of VLOS range. It’s just that you missed it on your sky scan.

Doing that a few times has helped me to not immediately panic and RTH if I look back up from the controller and don’t instantly see the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3