DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

30fps instead of 24fps. VERY disappointing

rmb

Reactions
I am enjoying my Osmo Pocket, but I must say that I am disappointed with the fact that I am stuck with 30 and 60 fps vs 24 as a default. I know that if I hook it up to my iPhone and set it up with the "pro" settings I can change that and then disconnect the iPhone, but the second I need to change any setting or even take a photo I have to cancel "pro" mode and then I am stuck back at 30fps. I think that they are really going to need to change this as most professional videographers I work with, shoot and deliver in 24fps and anything shot in 30fps cannot be converted properly to 24fps and used in a 24fps project without getting that drop frame every second. So as a real-world example I send my 2nd cameraman to use the Osmo to pick up some Broll shots and I have set it up for him with my desired settings in pro mode. I would like him to be able to switch modes back to auto or manual exposure or back and forth between video and still photos if he needs to without reverting back to 24fps.

I sure hope that they can change that in a future firmware update? If not I fear that I will need to return this as 30fps is not a usable format for my projects and always needing an iPhone is not a practical solution for me.

I have to agree - why some "pro" features aren't available on the unit itself if beyond me.

We already have a vertically scrolling menu for 30 & 60 frame rates- adding in the extra 24, 25, 50 fps would be easy.

Please, Please, Please DJI update this in firmware now - or I think I will return mine and wait for the updates or better still V2 with at least a tripod mount and micro usb!!!

I have to agree - why some "pro" features aren't available on the unit itself if beyond me.

We already have a vertically scrolling menu for 30 & 60 frame rates- adding in the extra 24, 25, 50 fps would be easy.

Please, Please, Please DJI update this in firmware now - or I think I will return mine and wait for the updates or better still V2 with at least a tripod mount and micro usb!!!
Thanks for the response I was beginning to think that I was the only person that felt this way ;)

rmb: You're not alone, believe me.

Did you see OriginalDobo's vid on the scroll/pan wheel accessory? Quite a let down.

rmb: You're not alone, believe me.

Did you see OriginalDobo's vid on the scroll/pan wheel accessory? Quite a letdown.
No! I will check it out. Ironically I have been waiting for the accessory kit that I ordered weeks ago to be in stock. Sounds like I will be disappointed.

Sigh...

I would like him to be able to switch modes back to auto or manual exposure or back and forth between video and still photos if he needs to without reverting back to 24fps.

I sure hope that they can change that in a future firmware update? If not I fear that I will need to return this as 30fps is not a usable format for my projects and always needing an iPhone is not a practical solution for me.

I completely agree and have proposed an update that could make swapping about without having the phone attached. Please follow a POLL I started on the DJI Forum (link below). If you are a forum member there, please vote to create a PreSets Function. Similar to the presets offered in the FilMic Pro App (which does not work on the OP) you would be able to create, name and transfer a number of presets from your phone to the OP Settings screen. This would allow you to create you favorite setting combinations and not have to return to the phone every time the sun goes behind a cloud, or the background changes, or..... Being able to combine fps with white balance with speed/slo mo is necessary for any minimally serious video recording!

*<-Poll->* Osmo Pocket Feature Request: Camera Settings Presets

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I don't agree with OriginalDobo's 'evaluation' of Control Wheel. I received my about week ago and the first impression is very good. I can easily control pan/tilt holding my OP in my left hand (I'm right-handed), wheel provides very smooth control to gimbal tilt/pan. Switching gimbal mode with just push of one button is fast and more convenient than using OP display or cell phone. I even tried to use Wheel Control wearing my leather gloves and it works very well. Not be able to use control wheel and phone at the same time is an obvious constrain and one should decide what your preference is before you invested $59 in the wheel control. Now try to imagine how your phone or OP display will work on cold or hot day when you hand is very cold or sweaty/sticky.

At the beginning of the review OriginalDobo said his objective producing reviews is find all possible negatives of review product(s) and I have to say he excel at it.

Again, this is just my opinion and reserve the rights to be wrong :)

Reactions: s2seyecle
I'm sorry but I don't agree with OriginalDobo's 'evaluation' of Control Wheel. I received my about week ago and the first impression is very good. I can easily control pan/tilt holding my OP in my left hand (I'm right-handed), wheel provides very smooth control to gimbal tilt/pan. Switching gimbal mode with just push of one button is fast and more convenient than using OP display or cell phone. I even tried to use Wheel Control wearing my leather gloves and it works very well. Not be able to use control wheel and phone at the same time is an obvious constrain and one should decide what your preference is before you invested $59 in the wheel control. Now try to imagine how your phone or OP display will work on cold or hot day when you hand is very cold or sweaty/sticky.

At the beginning of the review OriginalDobo said his objective producing reviews is find all possible negatives of review product(s) and I have to say he excel at it.

Again, this is just my opinion and reserve the rights to be wrong :)
Good to hear. I am excited about getting my accessories kit (assuming that it is ever back in stock ;)

Good to hear. I am excited about getting my accessories kit (assuming that it is ever back in stock ;)

I don't think you will be disappointed. The clip below was recorded using OP, I set it up at home using my cell phone and when at the show I just turn it on and shot. I had my jacket in right hand and used my left hand to record where I used my thumb to control gimbal. One may say it is not professional footage but for my need is more than I need (2019Bike Show - Toronto).
One reason I decided to buy OP was I don't want to do 'ninja walk' when recording and I don't want to keep both of my hand on OP to control recording.
OriginalDobo would be better off if he skip buying OP and stick to his cell phone for ad-hock video recording needs.

25fps just added in todays firmware update

Are you really having someone shoot professional footage with just the tiny screen on the unit?? A phone seems mandatory for anything serious anyway.

Are you really having someone shoot professional footage with just the tiny screen on the unit?? A phone seems mandatory for anything serious anyway.
Sure, but not for that all-important vague broll. You know the stuff; a meeting assembling, walking down the hall, a hyperlapse of a tradshow floor, etc.

I don't think you will be disappointed. The clip below was recorded using OP, I set it up at home using my cell phone and when at the show I just turn it on and shot. I had my jacket in right hand and used my left hand to record where I used my thumb to control gimbal. One may say it is not professional footage but for my need is more than I need (2019Bike Show - Toronto).
One reason I decided to buy OP was I don't want to do 'ninja walk' when recording and I don't want to keep both of my hand on OP to control recording.
OriginalDobo would be better off if he skip buying OP and stick to his cell phone for ad-hock video recording needs.
I think what amazed me most about your footage was the consistency of focus, especially when you were walking past the scooters. My OP seems to hunt continually for focus. Or, were you using AFS focus in pro mode?

Hard to believe that anyone would make a product to appeal to indy filmmakers and not consider 24p a priority :rolleyes:

Hard to believe that anyone would make a product to appeal to indy filmmakers and not consider 24p a priority :rolleyes:

The perils of been an early adopter ;) Gotta say both me and all the family are loving Osmo so far, not as a Vlogger, just as a family wanting video and stills to keep in high quality

This product 95% targets people who don't even know what framerate is.
Selection will most likely come via updates, but as usual it's not what they need to sell them to most on day 1.

I think what amazed me most about your footage was the consistency of focus, especially when you were walking past the scooters. My OP seems to hunt continually for focus. Or, were you using AFS focus in pro mode?

I setup my OP at home before heading out using my S9 Plus and entire recording at the show was done using just OP. The setting were set to PRO mode with AUTO, AFS, 4K at 60fps. I just tap the display every time I start recording, pretty much the same as with my Mavic Pro :)

Reactions: fozzzy
Don't recall - exactly - what the additions were, but the recent firmware update added some fps rates to the 1080 choices.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom