DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3D alternatives for DJI gimbal cover?

Delovelady

Reactions
Hi, all. In this modern age, we see all kinds of benefit from 3D printers... items being brought to market with increased reliability at a reduced price point: what's not to love? So I'm very surprised that I haven't seen a 3D printed alternative to the fragile gimbal cover that DJI sells (at an alarming $21 including shipping )!

I have just ordered my third one. This time from Amazon, saving a huge chunk of the shipping cost. The problem with the cover is that the little clips/ears that hold the cover in place, are very prone to cracking / breaking, and when that happens at any one of the 3 critical points, you are left with an unusable piece of plastic, not good for anything. I do not abuse my Mavic in any way. But for whatever reason, when stored face down (as necessary) in the official bag that came with the Fly-more bundle, that seems to eventually cause something to give.

I don't know anything about 3D printing, but it seems to me it should be possible to make something more lasting and still serve the protective purpose, and someone could make a little profit in the process, while others would save money, over time. Thoughts?

Hi, all. In this modern age, we see all kinds of benefit from 3D printers... items being brought to market with increased reliability at a reduced price point: what's not to love? So I'm very surprised that I haven't seen a 3D printed alternative to the fragile gimbal cover that DJI sells (at an alarming $21 including shipping )!

I have just ordered my third one. This time from Amazon, saving a huge chunk of the shipping cost. The problem with the cover is that the little clips/ears that hold the cover in place, are very prone to cracking / breaking, and when that happens at any one of the 3 critical points, you are left with an unusable piece of plastic, not good for anything. I do not abuse my Mavic in any way. But for whatever reason, when stored face down (as necessary) in the official bag that came with the Fly-more bundle, that seems to eventually cause something to give.

I don't know anything about 3D printing, but it seems to me it should be possible to make something more lasting and still serve the protective purpose, and someone could make a little profit in the process, while others would save money, over time. Thoughts?
There is a different gimbal cover out there that is 3d printed and more robust. Do a search here or the internet and you should find it. Here is one, there are a couple versions out there. PolarPro Gimbal Lock/Lens Cover

I'm astonished at the number of people breaking their covers - a common refrain on the Facebook group.
I'm always careful and have never had any issues with either the bubble cover or the gimbal clamp.
I'm not trying to chastise but rather point out maybe "you're doing it wrong". ;)
One end has two tabs - those are locator pins - do not pry from this end and when replacing the cover you insert (not pop) these tabs in first.
The other end has a tab you gently pull up on and the cover pivots off.
Easy Peesy.

Mine broke too. I've been using this gimbal lock/cover since July. It's still holding up just fine and is easier to use since it functions as both a lock and cover.

index.jpg

Last edited:
I wish somebody printed smth like this:

Sketch.png

- a block of strong plastic with strong clips, scooped inside like dome for the gimbal, flush with the forehead and belly so should Mavic experience any force in a bag, it will be taken not only by clips, but these additional support areas. Not transparent - only for storage. And no integrated gimbal lock, the DJI lock is the best - integrated locks can mess up the gimbal should the cover be displaced.

integrated locks can mess up the gimbal should the cover be displaced
I cannot speak for all of them, but the integrated lock I linked above is built very well. I've never heard of anyone's gimbal being messed up due to a displaced cover.

the integrated lock I linked above is built very well

Is it thicker plastic than DJI's? The standard one is so thin&weak! I might get one of these and simply dremel off the integrated lock. I still think that an integrated lock is like a metal rod from your car's bumper to your face: any fender bender will have disastrous consequences.

a problem that does not exist

Maybe. But I've had the dome being dislodged before, luckily, it didn't mess up the gimbal, possibly thanks to the separate lock. I can imagine if someone is carrying Mavic in a soft bag, the dome gets dislodged, and with every step, every bounce, it kicks the gimbal. Mashed potatoes. In skydiving and BASE, we say "better be safe than sorry".

... But for whatever reason, when stored face down (as necessary) in the official bag that came with the Fly-more bundle, that seems to eventually cause something to give....
I store mine with a lens hood attached face up in the DJI bag.
photo 2.JPG

I can imagine if someone is carrying Mavic in a soft bag, the dome gets dislodged, and with every step, every bounce, it kicks the gimbal. Mashed potatoes.
I get it. It's tough to understand how a product works when you don't own it. Give it a try (like I did) and you'll see how well it works ;)

Reactions: Bunny Too
I can attest to the gimbal/camera cover with built in tabs to secure the gimbal works very well and holds the cameras gimbal in place very securely. A worthwhile investment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S