DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3d model of controller?

basyok

Reactions
Does anyone know of an existing 3D model of the MA2 controller (not smart, just the regular one)?

I'd like to design and print in 3D, a sort of stencil that I can either snap or strap on the front of my controller that will act as a guide for the sticks. I want to make it easier to hold a stick in a certain direction. At the very least a slot for each cardinal direction, and maybe even diagonal slots. I'm also hoping to add some sort of ratchet system where I can lock the stick in place for hands-free.

Anyway, I'm about to start taking measurements of my controller and layout out my design, but I figured that if there's an existing model either of the controller itself, or something that snaps on the front, it would make a better starting point for me.

Or does something like this already exist? My searches for an existing design or any models that may help me have been fruitless so far.

may i ask the reasoning behind your idea ,the sticks are designed to work in all directions so the drone can fly smoothly by combining Yaw ,bank, and forwards /backwards motion as the drone is either ascending or descending during flight ,if you restrict that combination of movements then you will be severely restricting the RC's control over the drone

Reactions: basyok
Whilst I agree with OMM, perhaps a sheet of solid cardboard or plastic with a 'gear shift gate' cut out of it would do the trick, tape it or rubber band it to the controller? Not every thing has to be high tech.

may i ask the reasoning behind your idea ,the sticks are designed to work in all directions so the drone can fly smoothly by combining Yaw ,bank, and forwards /backwards motion as the drone is either ascending or descending during flight ,if you restrict that combination of movements then you will be severely restricting the RC's control over the drone
Thanks, I understand the design and use of the controller. The reason I want this "stencil" is precisely to defeat this. I often use hyperlapse mode to make time-lapse videos, and I like the cruise-control feature, because, I don't know about you, but my hands aren't steady enough to make smooth motions, especially if it's going to be sped up. However, I find hyperlapse mode limiting, and would prefer to shoot a regular video and then change the speed in edit. If you've done any time-lapse, you'll know it even the smallest motion, or change in motion can be very jarring.

TLDR; I want this in order to be able to move in a fixed direction at a fixed speed for an extended period of time, without my hands being tied up, getting tired, and slipping.

Whilst I agree with OMM, perhaps a sheet of solid cardboard or plastic with a 'gear shift gate' cut out of it would do the trick, tape it or rubber band it to the controller? Not every thing has to be high tech.
Thanks, good idea. I might try this. But ultimately, I like high tech, and also the challenge of designing this in 3D.

personally i dont think any sort of device that locks the drones control sticks in a set direction, is really a very good idea ,it rather defeats the whole object of being in control of the drone at all times ,there are auto flight modes that can be programmed to control the drone, while at the same time, its possible to control the camera with out having to fly the drone hands on

personally i dont think any sort of device that locks the drones control sticks in a set direction, is really a very good idea ,it rather defeats the whole object of being in control of the drone at all times ,there are auto flight modes that can be programmed to control the drone, while at the same time, its possible to control the camera with out having to fly the drone hands on
There are no auto flight modes on the MA2, aside from in hyper-lapse mode using cruise control or waypoint mode, and I've already mentioned why i don't want to use hyper-lapse mode in some cases. Also i don't find the camera tracking on the ma2 to be much good in most cases.

I would not design this to in any way impede my ability to control my drone, just to more easily be able to move a stick in one direction without accidentally slipping into another direction, and to allow a "soft" lock-in for the sticks. "Soft" as in i could easily snap it back out. None of this would in any way impede how well and safely i can control my drone.

In any case, i appreciate your concern, but I'm hoping to get some answers to my actual question.

Reactions: thispilothere
I get what you're saying and I've needed it myself several times. Have you checked Thingiverse and Yeggi? While not a full controller, some of the tablet mount designs that wrap around the front might have enough of a fit to modify.

A high rez model of both the drone and controller is available HERE but it's $50. If I find a boot version I'll post a link. It'll take some effort and several test prints but, if you know 3d software, you should be able to make it work.

If you can find someone with a new iPhone, these have a scanner included in them:

I get what you're saying and I've needed it myself several times. Have you checked Thingiverse and Yeggi? While not a full controller, some of the tablet mount designs that wrap around the front might have enough of a fit to modify.

A high rez model of both the drone and controller is available HERE but it's $50. If I find a boot version I'll post a link. It'll take some effort and several test prints but, if you know 3d software, you should be able to make it work.

I did look in thingiverse and yeggi, but I'll have another look. I hadn't seen that $50 model. Interesting, but too expensive.

I've been playing around with 3d in a few different software packages, I'm no expert, but I think I can make something on tinkercad after I take enough measurements of the controller.

Reactions: thispilothere
If you can find someone with a new iPhone, these have a scanner included in them:

Oh, that's pretty cool! But alas, I'm an Android guy. I think my best way forward is to dive in with some Vernier calipers.

Oh, that's pretty cool! But alas, I'm an Android guy. I think my best way forward is to dive in with some Vernier calipers.
IF you're using Fusion360 - remember that you can type in numbers with a variable-name at the front (eg. instead of "200mm" you can type "length=200mm" - which makes it super-simple later on to adjust things when you need (e.g. adding/subtracting a few 0.2 mm later when you're 3D printing adapters etc)

I'm late to this party but I just made a 3d scan of the Air2 RC. It is also on Sketchfab. I'm new to photogrammetry so there's a few bad spots on the model. I'll do the drone next.
SketchFab Mavic Air2 RC

Let me know if you need the high detailed model. It's a little over a gigabite in size.

Attachments

• IMG_20211127_024437_GC6.1_GMM29h2-646_day.jpg
    IMG_20211127_024437_GC6.1_GMM29h2-646_day.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 9
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb