DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3D Printed attachment to hold a GoPro camera on a MPP

Joe4flight

Reactions
I have a MPP. I was interested in having it carry my GoPro camera, a Hero 5. So I ordered a customized 3D printed attachment. It fits near the nose of my MPP perfectly. See photos. It held the GoPro very well also. But, when I tried to get airborne, the drone went 1-2 inches kinda up and forward, then immediately came down and powered off. I tried getting airborne 2-3 more times. No luck. This setup was obviously too heavy for the drone. I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are. I know my MPP has a nice built-in camera. I was just thinking about a dual in-flight camera setup. IMG_0013.jpgIMG_0012.jpg

My guess would be that it is not so much the weight, I think its more from being unballanced front to back. That would explain why it goes forward some as well as up and then faults out.

My guess would be that it is not so much the weight, I think its more from being unballanced front to back. That would explain why it goes forward some as well as up and then faults out.
Thx Brett, your explanation makes sense. The way the 3D attachment fits onto the drone will never provide a balanced situation. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

try making your own custom Velcro strap and remove the camera from the housing and just us the camera and more in the centre of the drone to help with weight.

Could you use GoPro mount extensions to move the camera back farther? Maybe just closer to center might be enough?

I dont think it’s the weigh. Are you covering any sensors and does the GPS show a good lock? Maybe your mount is blocking the signals as its covering the GPS antenna.

MAPIR has been successfully flying their modified “GoPro” cameras like this for quite some time. It covers the front sensors, but doesn’t cover the GPS antenna directly in front of the battery.

45AF78D1-6BAD-4764-B63F-BF2CF212B0A8.jpeg5889E30E-F332-4D23-8E96-C7E70A801F42.gif

Last edited:
This works with the Mavic Air, but maybe you can find a Mavic Pro version:
or
or

Thx Brett, your explanation makes sense. The way the 3D attachment fits onto the drone will never provide a balanced situation. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
Just like Professional pilots have to always be concerned with CG when loading their plane.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme