DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3rd Flight with New Air 2s... Add me to the List

PalmettoAerial

Reactions
Same story as most others ... just upgraded my drone and was on my 3rd flight. I was really liking the new 2S and something happened and it crashed just off the coast of the in laws lake house.

I had upgraded the firmware twice today. I bought this one a few months back but havent made the time to fly it until this wekeend

What are my options. I couldnt retrieve It earlier but I did opt for the insurance when I made the purchase

Sorry to hear about your loss. Contact DJI to place a claim. If you want to leave your flight data here, someone like
@Meta4 can help you.

Follow the directions here, DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Then post the link here.

Reactions: @Rip
Sorry to hear about your loss. Contact DJI to place a claim. If you want to leave your flight data here, someone like
@Meta4 can help you.

Follow the directions here, DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Then post the link here.
Thanks G. Appreciate the reply and kind words.

How does the claim process work? I have bought the insurance for the my last two Drones but I’ve never looked into it.

Reactions: EliteBleader
Go to the DJI support website and choose Live Chat.
I am reviewing the DJI care refresh package I purchased in April of this year. I registered the care refresh at that time but tonight, as I am reading the email outlining the policy, it’s says for fly aways you should have the remote “bound” before incident…
Am I reading this wrong? Is there another step to the registration or care refresh that I needed to do back then? Or is registering the policy at purchase enough.

I am reviewing the DJI care refresh package I purchased in April of this year. I registered the care refresh at that time but tonight, as I am reading the email outlining the policy, it’s says for fly aways you should have the remote “bound” before incident…
Am I reading this wrong? Is there another step to the registration or care refresh that I needed to do back then? Or is registering the policy at purchase enough.
Don't jump the gun calling it a "flyaway". Post the flight data records here first so @Meta4 can take a look at them. I'm uncertain that DJI refresh covers "flyaways". Then based on the findings, contact DJI.

Same story as most others ... just upgraded my drone and was on my 3rd flight. I was really liking the new 2S and something happened and it crashed just off the coast of the in laws lake house.
Updating firmware doesn't do anything that might cause a drone to crash.
To find out what the actual cause might have been, post your flight data and it might have some clues to help solve the mystery.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

To find out what the actual cause might have been, post your flight data and it might have some clues to help solve the mystery.

Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.

Can you give me some more info on how to get the flight log off the RC Pro COntroller? I have downlaoded it from the cloud (there is a check mark now on in the log file section) ... but I am not sure how to do this

I did read the link from above that takes me to the phantom forum but I dont see anyhting specific to the RC Pro controller

Thanks in advance

Check your CareRefresh contract details for coverage. I believe the lost or flyaway drone replacement cost is $499. Then just go to DJI support and start the claim. DJI will let you know what is needed. The longer you delay to submit the claim the longer it will be until you can get flying. The drone currently is unrecoverable so you'll never have it back, just just move forward.

Reactions: mavictk

I'm sorry to disagree but bad/corrupt firmware absolutely could cause a crash or other things to function incorrectly. Firmware is machine instructions that control hardware to a certain level. So, on a high overview of firmware, if it tells the hardware to do something, it will do it within parameters. If the hardware has "bad" or "corrupt" instructions, it could cause an issue leading to a crash. IMAO

Reactions: mavictk
Can you give me some more info on how to get the flight log off the RC Pro COntroller? I have downlaoded it from the cloud (there is a check mark now on in the log file section) ... but I am not sure how to do this

I did read the link from above that takes me to the phantom forum but I dont see anyhting specific to the RC Pro controller
Towards the bottom of the page, there's a section that begins:
For the Phantom 4 Adv/Pro + remote controller or DJI Smart Controller

It should be pretty similar to that.

I'm sorry to disagree but bad/corrupt firmware absolutely could cause a crash or other things to function incorrectly. ... If the hardware has "bad" or "corrupt" instructions, it could cause an issue leading to a crash. IMAO
It could but since there aren't hundreds of users complaining that it has upset their drones, it's beyond unlikely that it will.
Add to that, it hasn't happened in the past with any previous firmware updates.

Check your CareRefresh contract details for coverage. I believe the lost or flyaway drone replacement cost is $499. Then just go to DJI support and start the claim. DJI will let you know what is needed. The longer you delay to submit the claim the longer it will be until you can get flying. The drone currently is unrecoverable so you'll never have it back, just just move forward.
@Meta4 @FLDave

Here is the response … any advice on how to response or escalate the claim? Thanks

For your case XXXXXXXX, we have finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode in this flight.
2. Flight Time T=00:54 , Relative Height H=0.4 m, Distance to Home Point D=129.7 m, the pilot pulled down the throttle stick and pushed forward the pitch stick, the aircraft crashed into the water when it was flying forward while descending.
3. Incident coordinate: 43.5616095, -86.4759071

According to the analysis, the incident was caused by pilot's misoperation.

If you could not recover the product and consider purchasing another one, we can offer you a 15% off discount for DJI AIR 2S without the charger and remote controller. Please kindly send us the following information if you would like to accept the offer:

@Meta4 @FLDave
Here is the response … any advice on how to response or escalate the claim? Thanks
DJI say that you were flying low and pulled the left stick down while flying forward, driving the drone into the water.
We haven't seen your flight data to tell whether DJI's analysis is correct.
But if it is, there's not much you could do to escalate your warranty claim.

Post your flight data and we could confirm whether DJI is correct or not.

CareRefresh covers pilot error but you need to return the aircraft for that coverage. You have no aircraft to return so no coverage for your error.
Flyawy coverage (non recoverable aircraft) is not for obvious pilot error.
It would have been wise for you to analyze your flight data BEFORE submitting your claim. You could have done that yourself by submitting date to AirData
@PalmettoAerial looking back at your posts in this thread and a duplicate post in another thread. It looks like you did NOT purchase CareRefresh for this Air 2S, so there is no recourse with DJI. It is not a warranty claim, either.
So, just buy another drone, learn from your experiences, and move on.

Last edited:
DJI say that you were flying low and pulled the left stick down while flying forward, driving the drone into the water.
We haven't seen your flight data to tell whether DJI's analysis is correct.
But if it is, there's not much you could do to escalate your warranty claim.

Post your flight data and we could confirm whether DJI is correct or not.

Appreciate the help with this. After some back and forth the DJI Cust scv team was accommodating and helped me file the claim properly.

Meta - is the anti collision not water rated? Is water not dense enough to trigger the sensors? I have never thought about this before but seeing as how this went down, I figured I would ask...

... looking back at your posts in this thread and a duplicate post in another thread. It looks like you did NOT purchase CareRefresh for this Air 2S, so there is no recourse with DJI. It is not a warranty claim, either.

Not sure where you are getting that info from

CareRefresh covers pilot error but you need to return the aircraft for that coverage. You have no aircraft to return so no coverage for your error.
Flyawy coverage (non recoverable aircraft) is not for obvious pilot error.
It would have been wise for you to analyze your flight data BEFORE submitting your claim. You could have done that yourself by submitting date to AirData
@PalmettoAerial looking back at your posts in this thread and a duplicate post in another thread. It looks like you did NOT purchase CareRefresh for this Air 2S, so there is no recourse with DJI. It is not a warranty claim, either.

The term "Flyaway" is probably poorly named by DJI. It covers the case where the drone is not recoverable due to a malfunction (inside of the refresh period but outside of warranty as warranty would cover it otherwise) as well as pilot accidents. It does not cover stolen product or products intentionally damaged or flown away. Accidents are the exact reason for the coverage, so yes pilot error is included in the Fly Away coverage. Not sure if the OP has that or not, but in general it would be covered with the larger Fly Away deductible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji