DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3rd Party Apps and Crystal Sky

Grey Wolf

Reactions
I read that 3rd party apps won't work with the Chrystal Sky monitors, only DJI apps will.
Can anyone verify this? Doesn't make sense really.
Most of my flying is with the best 3rd party app out there, FPV Camera!
If this is the case, then there will be no need to purchase the monitor. Shame!
Sad, Awful!

The goggles are just a viewing device. You cannot install apps on them.

I think a lot if people are going to be mighty disappointed with the Crystal Sky monitors if you can't fly 3rd party apps.
Who flies only using DJI apps?

You can either use a tablet or not while using the goggles. It's currently unknown whether you can use 3rd party apps on the tablet and still use the goggles to view the feed, at least I never yet saw anyone try it and report.

You can't use a tablet with CrystalSky because CrystalSky IS the tablet.
CrystalSky is supposed to be a robust, reliable and comfortable way for pros to run the DJI apps, that's it.

Who flies only using DJI apps?
I do use a 3rd party app once in a while but it's 90-95% DJI GO.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWolfen
I only use the DJI app to set up machine and that's it. All my missions are flown using FPV Camera.
I find it incredulous that DJI is not allowing 3rd party apps on the Crystal Sky! They've lost me as a buyer for it.
The DJI apps are very basic and waypoints, don't even get me started on that.
Why couldn't I use the iPad and the Crystal Sky?
I guess I could program a mission on the tablet, then take off, then switch to Crystal Sky? Would that work just for viewing mission?
Same for goggles?

Reactions: SilicaStorm
One reason why I'll never buy that monitors. I fly more then 70% Autopilot. And play a little with Litchi. I even have Flight Plan (never used)

Reactions: Grey Wolf
I'm looking forward to using the goggles with my other P3's, P4's And Inspires.
All my controllers have The HDMI output. For the Mavic though, It is Ocusync, So no cable there.

You could use them both -- just not at the same time.
Darn!
I think DJI needs to re assess this.
I think most of us didn't realize this blatant oversight! I don't think they will sell many of these because of this.

Why exactly would you want to connect two mobile devices to the Mavic remote controller at the same time? That's not a usual setup.

Reactions: HydroneMantis
Why exactly would you want to connect two mobile devices to the Mavic remote controller at the same time? That's not a usual setup.
I know that. I should be able to use just the Crystal Sky.
It's a shame you can't use 3rd party apps on it.
Doesn't make sense at all!

Don't forget the Mavic is still an airborne camera "light". I'll use the Inspire 2 for serious work. But here in Africa, the size is so convenient.
Don't forget the Mavic is still an airborne camera "light". I'll use the Inspire 2 for serious work. But here in Africa, the size is so convenient.
Yes but it has nothing to do with the monitor. No matter what DJI platform you use, you cannot use 3rd party apps and that is a real shame.
Perhaps DJI will improve their own features on its apps to rival those of FPV Camera, Autopilot etc, but until that happens, DJI will take a hit on sales of these monitors as everyone who flies seriously, at least with the Inspire, uses 3rd party apps.
Hopefully they'll supply a firmware upgrade to allow this.

My question still remains, can you have both the tablet and Crystal Sky attached somehow and use the tablet to program the 3rd party app and take off, then switch to the Crystal Sky to see the mission in a bright screen?
To me, this would be the only way to use the Crystal Sky.
The next option might be the goggles, you know, those clumsy looking things that could attract unwanted attention.
I believe you could still use the tablet as normal on either platform, and program a mission with a 3rd party app, then view it on the goggles. I would also assume you would be able to adjust the flight as before manually during the flight, such as camera pitch, flight radius etc.
The goggles are also a lot more affordable too!

My question still remains, can you have both the tablet and Crystal Sky attached somehow and use the tablet to program the 3rd party app and take off, then switch to the Crystal Sky to see the mission in a bright screen?
Well, you can try it - get 2 tablets and try switching between one of them running your favorite app and the other running DJI GO - my guess is it won't work since once you plug the DJI GO one it will assume connection lost and probably take control back.

Im hoping that someone will jailbreak these monitors for 3rd party app support...
And then people will again complain that DJI GO crashes all the time :rolleyes: But yeah would be nice.

These are really obviously not meant for flexibility, but to hopefully offer reliability of standard functionality due to DJI having full control of the entire chain.

If you want to use mostly 3rd party app what you want is really a pro/bright HDMI monitor.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato