DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3rd Party Batteries

allenface

Reactions
Thought I would save a buck and bought some extra batteries from Powerextra for my MavicPro. Two new batteries for $115. I used them once but didn't get the flying time I thought I should have so I put them on charge again. They never seem to get full bars on the indicator though. I put them away where they laid dormant for a month. I decided to do a little flying bt the dang batteries are so dead, the level indicator won't come up and they won't accept a charge. Litiums should last longer than a month unused. I have boy video cameras and use nothing but lithiums and the only time I have that problem is if the cells are dead. These guys are too new for that. It's possible I've gotten a bad batch. I've sent in a complaint to the company but me thinks when it comes to vital parts like batteries, it's best to stick with originals from DJI, either direct or via Amazon or other certified DJI dealer. We'll see how this plays out but buyers beware of batteries from Powerextra. If they make restitution and either send me replacements that work or full refund, I'll report back.

Thought I would save a buck and bought some extra batteries from Powerextra for my MavicPro. Two new batteries for $115. I used them once but didn't get the flying time I thought I should have so I put them on charge again. They never seem to get full bars on the indicator though. I put them away where they laid dormant for a month. I decided to do a little flying bt the dang batteries are so dead, the level indicator won't come up and they won't accept a charge. Litiums should last longer than a month unused. I have boy video cameras and use nothing but lithiums and the only time I have that problem is if the cells are dead. These guys are too new for that. It's possible I've gotten a bad batch. I've sent in a complaint to the company but me thinks when it comes to vital parts like batteries, it's best to stick with originals from DJI, either direct or via Amazon or other certified DJI dealer. We'll see how this plays out but buyers beware of batteries from Powerextra. If they make restitution and either send me replacements that work or full refund, I'll report back.
sorry for your issues you have just found out what many of us on this forum have been saying for a long time when it comes to batteries,and props you cant beat oem stuff

Yep. Not worth saving a few bucks and getting generic props or batteries and having a total failure. Batteries are expensive but worth it!

Reactions: allenface
Yep. Not worth saving a few bucks and getting generic props or batteries and having a total failure. Batteries are expensive but worth it!
Lesson learned. That said, I use 3rd camera batteries instead of Anton Bauer batteries and have for years with no issues. Basically when it comes to the actual lithium cells, there are only few companies that actually make them, so many times labled batteries are all the same cells. Its the wiring and charging configuration that makes the difference between 3rd party and OEM.

I've read but have no personal confirmation that another factor between OEM and generic can be whether the cells passed QC checks. Ones not up to spec are not destroyed but sold as seconds and these can be put together and sold under different labels.

You can have similar issues with genuine DJI packs also. I have. I had good performance from power extra branded Phantom 3 batteries internally the BMS board looked to be as good a quality and the cells have similar flight performance to OEM DJI. They may have sat around too long prior to sale.

I will say "Powerextra batteries" for MP1 work well with no denigrade
OP might have recieved a bum battery
....cR
....wer have you gone #Porkys

I know we all say that OEM stuff is the best, but these company's advertise that there products fit and are the same as originals so stand by your guarantees.

I've read but have no personal confirmation that another factor between OEM and generic can be whether the cells passed QC checks. Ones not up to spec are not destroyed but sold as seconds and these can be put together and sold under different labels.
Cannot and will not argue that point.
And let us consider the thousands, the MILLIONS of lithium’s produced and sold. I venture to say some inferior cells pass QC when they shouldn’t. That said, I will further surmise that Mavic style batteries are just banded AA lithium’s, so my estimated “millions” is not too exaggerated.

Reactions: jonthecourier
That said, I will further surmise that Mavic style batteries are just banded AA lithium’s, so my estimated “millions” is not too exaggerated.

If by that you think Mavic battery packs have cylindrical LiIon batteries, that's only true for the Mini (except Japan). The rest use rectangular LiPo cells of various sizes.

If by that you think Mavic battery packs have cylindrical LiIon batteries, that's only true for the Mini (except Japan). The rest use rectangular LiPo cells of various sizes.
Basically what I meant is the internal cells within the packs are not specially designed proprietary batteries but rather AA’s. Perhaps a combo of AA’s and C cells. Either way my supposition is these cells are being turned by the millions. So QC can be spotty.

Basically what I meant is the internal cells within the packs are not specially designed proprietary batteries but rather AA’s. Perhaps a combo of AA’s and C cells. Either way my supposition is these cells are being turned by the millions. So QC can be spotty.
You don’t need to guess. The packs contain the same type and capacity LipO cell as DJI OEM. They might be of a different quality however there there seems to be no reports that substantiate that.

They aren’t AA or C cells- that you can be sure of.

Reactions: old man mavic
I have Powerextra batteries and can't tell the difference between the oem and after market ones with only exception being occasionaly the powerextra one will make the rear light to flash yellow even with drone powered off. Other than that no difference..

I have Powerextra batteries and can't tell the difference between the oem and after market ones with only exception being occasionaly the powerextra one will make the rear light to flash yellow even with drone powered off. Other than that no difference..
how does that work ,does that mean that the battery is powering the drone even when its not on strange ? ah i get it, power extra thats the secret

Maybe a bad batch I have been using PowerExtra on my Mavic pro for well over a year , never had an issue fly just as well if not a little better than my OEM ones

Reactions: charliesRig
You don’t need to guess. The packs contain the same type and capacity LipO cell as DJI OEM. They might be of a different quality however there there seems to be no reports that substantiate that.

They aren’t AA or C cells- that you can be sure of.
So you are saying all lithium DJI battery packs are special proprietary cells made just for DJI? Even my Anton Bauer batteries for my professional video camera are comprised of banded lithium Gold Top D-cells. Quite surprised DJI batts are special.

So you are saying all lithium DJI battery packs are special proprietary cells made just for DJI? Even my Anton Bauer batteries for my professional video camera are comprised of banded lithium Gold Top D-cells. Quite surprised DJI batts are special.
Ok. I can get behind that. Perhaps flat cell phone style cells or a combo of battery cells to accommodate the case design. All I know is I have two DJI style batteries that are dead after one charge and one flight. No more 3rd party Mavic batteries for me.

I know we all say that OEM stuff is the best, but these company's advertise that there products fit and are the same as originals so stand by your guarantees.
Sure.. and if they fail mid flight they may replace that battery for you. See the issue?

Sure.. and if they fail mid flight they may replace that battery for you. See the issue?
You can contact PowerExtra to verify, but if it is found that their battery caused an issue with the quad, they would cover the repairs.
This is similar to non-oem ink jet cartridges and ink refills for printers. OEMs would want to deny warranty for using non-oem consumables, but Magnusom-Moss act prohibits that unless the fault was the consumable. A reputable provider of said consumable would cover the repairs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo