DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

46% remaining battery , only 175ft away and suddenly "The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now." What happened?

saxotenor

Reactions
Hello guys,

Last week, I used my MA for a quick & short flight. Just after take off, while MA was only 175ft (53m) from Home position and remaining battery capacity was at 46%, I got the alert message: "The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now".
It is the first time I had such a bad experience. I have checked the logs and found nothing strange.
Did I do something wrong? Could someone explain me what has happened? Very first time for me to get such an unexpected warning? Have you had such a experience as well?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-08-09_[16-03-58][1]log.zip
    86.6 KB · Views: 53
I took a look at the log and didn't see anything to explain that message either. Maybe one of our resident experts has a better idea why that message occured?

You didnt change change settings ??

No I haven't changed any settings. I made 2 other flights on the same morning without any issues.
Very strange to me indeed. And I do not know which settings may have justified such a notice.
Please note, the notice occurred only once in the flight log. Could it be a bug? Have anyone experienced the same before?

Hello guys,

Last week, I used my MA for a quick & short flight. Just after take off, while MA was only 175ft (53m) from Home position and remaining battery capacity was at 46%, I got the alert message: "The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now".
It is the first time I had such a bad experience. I have checked the logs and found nothing strange.
Did I do something wrong? Could someone explain me what has happened? Very first time for me to get such an unexpected warning? Have you had such a experience as well?

Thanks a lot!
One of the cells might have been sinking faster than the others. I've heard that the battery self discharge can drain them unevenly and if you launched without a full charge this can happen.

Hello
Based on the flights' log, all 3 battery cells were at the same % of charge. The battery was fully charged the day before, I simply had short flights before starting this one...

I simply had short flights before starting this one...
This what Airdata.com reveals from your log related to the last flight battery cells:
Capture.JPG

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Thanks Keule,
So when the pop up showed up, at 10m46s, there were no strange behavior from the cells. Deviations between cells < 0.02v and no significant drop of voltage (quite stable around 3,73V).
Still a mystery...

What is your RTH altitude? I had the same problem and noticed I fat fingered the altitude to 500m instead of 50m.

Oh I think you've got it Mike! You're right, my RTH altitude was 500m...
Thanks a lot!!
Yup! It's right there in the log. Wonder how everyone missed that. You are lucky it was near. Imagine the AC was a significant distance away, you lost signal, and it started climbing to the set RTH height. It would never make it back to home.

Reactions: Shon
I hadn't thought about RTH height affecting battery threshold to RTH. That does make sense since it has to consider the energy to go up to 500m and then back down.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Learned another new one. The best advice I can give a newbie is read this forum for all the ways to lose or destroy your drone and don't do that. Lol
This! I don't quite remember how I stumbled on to this forum. But I dread to think what kind of a flyer I would have been had I not. Or if I would still have a drone to fly ...

Oh I think you've got it Mike! You're right, my RTH altitude was 500m...
Thanks a lot!!
When I first saw the issue I asked in another forum and some guy told me to Read the Manual. Figured it out on my own, glad I could help someone else.

Thanks Keule,
So when the pop up showed up, at 10m46s, there were no strange behavior from the cells. Deviations between cells < 0.02v and no significant drop of voltage (quite stable around 3,73V).
Still a mystery...

Had this happen, myself, when flying a few months back. Was at about 50% then almost nothing. Had to do an emergency landing in the middle of street about a quarter mile from my home point.

DJI couldn't explain it. Had me send the battery in, and just replaced it under warranty.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929