DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

Xtreme Drone Pilot

Reactions
RTFM:

http://download-c1.huawei.com/download/downloadCenter?downloadId=97222&version=408400&siteCode=us

Correct specs:
HUAWEI Ascend XT² Smartphone | Mobile Phones | HUAWEI United States
Huawei Ascend XT2 (2017) review and specifications - DroidChart.com

Update Dec 6, 2017: the $49 Steal of the Millenium has ended. It's still the Steal of 2017 at $89.

Good News: Huawei Elate for $65 is identical phone, only diff it has white front and it's Cricket:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cricke...phone-white-with-gray/6032705.p?skuId=6032705

20lw9h.jpg

20qglu-1-jpg.26302

screen-shot-2017-12-08-at-11-48-33-pm-jpg.26351

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuun Forrest ruuuuuuuuuuun!!! :D

forrest_gump_running_alabama_jenny.jpg

UPDATE DEC 3, 2017: the "Run to your Walmart" part is now outdated, it's either out of stock or very limited, check availability online and order for instore pickup, here's the product page:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-PREPAID-Huawei-Ascend-XT2-16GB-Prepaid-Smartphone-Silver/854006794

Some reviews from regular people, most are blown away:

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/854006794

Also, read slickdeals user comments for up-to-date info (link below), it has some info about unlocking it from AT&T if you want to use it as a general phone; this thread is about using it as a dedicated Mavic screen only, no SIM/cellular required whatsoever.

/end UPDATE DEC 3, 2017

TL/DR: RUN to your Walmart NOW, thank me later. This $49 phone is not only slick, well built, has huge battery, has 8 cores, no lag, bright and crisp large screen, SD card tray, headphone jack, FM radio, Android 7.0, decent camera, and much more - it works with Mavic amazingly well.

All - please read the whole thread, takes 10mins to skim, don't step on the same rakes over and over.

D0A1D18ED182D0BAD0B8D0BDD091D091D09FD095D0B3D180D0B0D0B1D0BBD0B8D0BFD0B5D181D0BED187D0BDD0B8D186D0B01102541.gif

(begin time-sensitive info: as of Dec 3, 2017 there are problems with Go 4.1.18; this info may become irrelevant for later versions)

IMPORTANT: Go 4.1.18 is a mess and can crash any phone, including this one, so do yourself a favor and use 4.1.15 installed from APK (aka Android Application Package). Download it here:

DJI GO 4--For drones since P4 4.1.15 (1027412) APK Download by DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD - APKMirror

However, at least for some users (see posts #86 and #90) .15 when first launched fails to download a resource needed by the app. The workaround for this is to install 4.1.18 from the Play Store (important: disable Auto-update apps), launch it while still on WiFi, let it d/l the resource, uninstall the app, install .15, open while still on WiFi, let it do its thing, login to your Mavic account, download Offline Maps (in hamburger menu on main screen, may intermittently stall, known issue with HERE, restart the app and retry), then you can turn off WiFi (or keep it on if you need satellite maps), at this point the app will work like a charm. With .15, you have Quickshots, but no Panorama (.18).

(end time-sensitive info)

Enjoy your WUNDERPHONE!!!

p1010222-jpg.26064

vs. ipad mini 2:

p1010217a-jpg.25908

For unlocking/rooting discussion, visit XDA forums:

Huawei Ascend XT2 (H1711)?

(also, comments on slickdeals link below)

OP below:
-------

Just ordered Huawei Ascend XT2 from Walmart for $49 (regular $119):

16GB Huawei Ascend XT2 AT&T Prepaid Smartphone (Silver) $49 + Free S/H

Will pickup tomorrow. Anyone uses it for flying Mavic? Is it adequate?

I normally use iPad mini 2, but was looking for a dedicated smaller device, especially for hiking with Mavic; also, I'm flying with Goggles most of the time, so bigger screen size is not important.

People seem to be impressed with it (even at $119 price), so I simply impulse-ordered it thinking this deal may vanish fast. Will report back in a day or two!

Last edited:
So, I got it, and am blown away! This must be illegal. $49 for very decent phone! Very well made, metal back, solid feel, fit & finish impeccable. Screen is bright and sharp. Battery seems to be lasting forever.

Installed Go 4.1.15, did very basic examination with the RC and Mavic connected, but not flying (too windy). Everything seems to be stable and very smooth. No lag anywhere. (I started by disabling all junk first. If you remove SIM card before initial setup, AT&T doesn't install its bloatware. This phone will be used only for Mavic, so can't comment on general use, but so far seems to be a very responsive, smooth phone.)

Will do flight tests tomorrow. Thinking about getting another one for other dedicated tasks, this deal is insane!

I liked it so much that went to Walmart again and got another one. The robbery continues. :D You can just walk in, it's there for $119, show them $49 on walmart.com, done!

I have one set up with Go 4.1.15, it will be permanently offline ("if it ain't broken, don't fix it"). The other one will be experimental - will always have the latest Go 4 to monitor "the state of the union". With this setup, I can guarantee that I can always fly and a botched app update won't ground me or tar the flying experience; at the same time, I can always see what's new in the latest app.

My aging Note 4 (paid ~$900) looks like a dinosaur compared to this slick $50 phone!

hmmm...maybe i'll fire up my chuwi hi-12 tablet. it's got an intel atom processor and can dual boot windows or android. how fast is the app on the phone? i'd love to just leave the app and never upgrade it. at this point, that's what i'm doing with my iphone x. i tried to update the firmware but thankfully it froze and i aborted. then i went on here and read all the issues with the video signal. phew!

Just did a quick preliminary flight test - went up 2000ft and down, and a few quick runs at 45mph low to the ground to tax video feed bandwidth. IT WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!! No lag, no app crash, this 8-core puppy eats DJI Go for lunch! It was just after sunset, getting dark, so didn't take any video to see if video caching would put more stress on the phone, but so far the result is very promising. Will test more tomorrow.

Un-believable. $49. You can buy two of these (one dedicated to Mavic, one as a regular smartphone) AND Mavic Pro for the price of the CHEAPEST iPhone X. Or TWENTY of these, instead of one with a piece of screen missing. :D

giphy.gif

I don’t even get my Mavic until tomorrow but this screen size is the same as my iPhone 6s Plus so I just bought one as well. Told my wife I was getting a burner for the Mavic and she asked if I was planning on “doing some illegal ****”. I said maybe... Freeing up my phone sounded like a no brainer for $50.

Thanks for the tip!

Got one!!! I will fly with it tomorrow. Screen looks great. I think I read here that the OTG cable is broken right now? I connected but no GPS signal strength or battery level

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
By the way, to all "iOS guys" - don't be shy and intimidated by trying a different OS. It doesn't bite. You don't have to commit all of your digital life to it; stay where you are and try small things; use a cheap phone like this to do some dedicated tasks, such as car navigation, or just web browsing, or media playback, or Mavic flying, etc. You can setup this phone without SIM and even without Google account, and it won't nag you (you can install apps by downloading .apk files, if you prefer). The hysteria instilled by these monsters (Apple/Google) that you have to "switch", make a big committing step, is designed to keep people FEARING "the other side", to keep them in their cancerous cobwebs they call "ecosystems". Trying a different thing can be the very best thing that can happen to you.

I've been a rabid Apple fanboi from 2007 to approx. 2013. Now I'm happily "polygamous" - use iOS, Android, and Windows freely as I see fit. iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, Android phones and a tablet, Android Wear, Microsoft Surface Pro, Windows Phone - I have them all and use them all, and don't give a flying **** about any prison "ecosystem". After all, all devices are pretty much the same - screen, touch, keyboard, connectivity, multimedia - it's all pretty much the same! If you can play a piano, you can play any one of them.

Variety and not being afraid to try new things are essentials of life. You WILL be surprised that the emperor in new clothes you've been worshiping for years is so disgustingly naked!

I use a Huwaei P8. Slightly smaller screen at 5.2" but also works very well with the app.
I'd even say the screen is easier to see in daylight than my ipad mini 2 !
I don't have a preference over Android/ios either. I just use whatever is best for the job and which I can afford.
Ideally, I'd prefer to use a Crystalsky but just can't justify the cost at the moment.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, given how good Huawei phones are, has anyone tried their 7" tablets ?

Reactions: Lopez0015
I bought one of these this morning. Took a few minutes to get them to match the online price. If nothing else, I will use this in some cheap VR goggles with Litchi for FPV flying. I am charging it now. Will post results later.
You know they are still making money on this phone at the $49 price. Just shows how overpriced most new phones are. Add a few bucks for a brighter screen and bigger battery and you see what a Crystal Sky should cost.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
By the way, to all "iOS guys" - don't be shy and intimidated by trying a different OS. It doesn't bite. You don't have to commit all of your digital life to it; stay where you are and try small things; use a cheap phone like this to do some dedicated tasks, such as car navigation, or just web browsing, or media playback, or Mavic flying, etc. You can setup this phone without SIM and even without Google account, and it won't nag you (you can install apps by downloading .apk files, if you prefer). The hysteria instilled by these monsters (Apple/Google) that you have to "switch", make a big committing step, is designed to keep people FEARING "the other side", to keep them in their cancerous cobwebs they call "ecosystems". Trying a different thing can be the very best thing that can happen to you.

I've been a rabid Apple fanboi from 2007 to approx. 2013. Now I'm happily "polygamous" - use iOS, Android, and Windows freely as I see fit. iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, Android phones and a tablet, Android Wear, Microsoft Surface Pro, Windows Phone - I have them all and use them all, and don't give a flying **** about any prison "ecosystem". After all, all devices are pretty much the same - screen, touch, keyboard, connectivity, multimedia - it's all pretty much the same! If you can play a piano, you can play any one of them.

Variety and not being afraid to try new things are essentials of life. You WILL be surprised that the emperor in new clothes you've been worshiping for years is so disgustingly naked!
Yes, I've been an Apple fan-boi since '83 but I'm looking forward to loading and trying some of the older .apk versions of the DJI Go 4 apps. Apple doesn't allow that with their "walled garden" we-know-better-than-you approach. I'm learning that there's some problems with the newest app versions though but I enjoy breaking then fixing things and I've always got my iPhone 7 (and iPad :D) as a backup. Thanks again for this great tip!

i should ask...how can i do screen recording with this? i know it's now built into ios 11. is there a separate app i should check into for android? will it be too taxing on this? i plan on throwing in an sd card in it for more storage.

Yes, there's Screen Recorder right in the pulldown shortcuts panel. I'm sure there are separate recorders as well. I use an SD card as well and set it as Primary Storage, so for offline maps and video cache, DJI Go sees the size of the card, not the 8GB or so of free internal storage.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to loading and trying some of the older .apk versions of the DJI Go 4 apps. Apple doesn't allow that with their "walled garden" we-know-better-than-you approach.

Yep, I installed 4.1.15 immediately from downloaded .apk, the freedom of sideloading any app in any version is like a breath of fresh air after the waterboarding that iOS is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme