DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

492 ft. altitude limit!

Montana John

Reactions
Today I went to a location more than five miles away from our local Class D airport. When I got ready to go, the GO 4 screen on my Ipad said, "Restricted Zone, Airport, Height limit 492 feet" (may not be the exact words). I could not get the words off my screen. So two questions: 1) where the heck does the 492 feet idea come from, 2) how can I clear the message.
I have enough weird things going on with my system so I won't even ask how the airport gets into the picture.

You're in a DJI bowtie Altitude Zone. 150m = 492 ft Not sure how to clear the message, typically there is some means of acknowledging it.

Reactions: dawgpilot
AGL is always the altitude given in the Go 4 and Go apps. I have had this happen in DJI’s “bowtie” zones, 492’ (?!), invented and administered by Emperor DJI, alone.

Reactions: Drgnfli
150m instead of 150 ft

I don't understand the confusion is here. The DJI Geo altitude zones are not LAANC grids - they are just height restrictions based on runway glide slopes. And since the firmware altitude limit in the DJI aircraft is 500 meters there is no inconsistency in setting an altitude zone at 150 meters.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I don't understand the confusion is here. The DJI Geo altitude zones are not LAANC grids - they are just height restrictions based on runway glide slopes. And since the firmware altitude limit in the DJI aircraft is 500 meters there is no inconsistency in setting an altitude zone at 150 meters.
You know those signs they put on highways exits that are the yellow speed “suggestions?”

This is like having a yellow speed suggestion of 45mph when the speed limit on the road is only 30mph...

If you were inspecting a structure the 400 ft AGL rule becomes 400 feet above the height of the structure within 400 feet of the structure.
There you go. Nothing wrong about a 150m limit imposed by DJI. No indication that it a bug. DJI does not know how high above ground level the Mavic is and does not know if the person is under Part 107 and near an object. Can yo6 imagine the hate DJI would get if it were 150 feet.

You know those signs they put on highways exits that are the yellow speed “suggestions?”

This is like having a yellow speed suggestion of 45mph when the speed limit on the road is only 30mph...
View attachment 77601

So how do you feel about the 500 meter altitude limit that DJI set in the firmware?

OK, thanks to your input I have a clearer idea how Emperor DJI inserted a contra-FAA height limit. So problem number two still remains. How do I clear this message off the screen of my device, in this case, an Ipad? Is there a hidden blue circle to click on, a secret code? I have tried clicking and double clicking and dragging with no success.

Reactions: BigAl07
I like your analogy.
Except that it is wrong in that the DJI limit is above the _take of point_ and any 400' law is either above ground level or above/near a structure.

To a lesser point, I can't see anyone complaining even if the limit by DJI is more then the law allows (as Sar points out). But again, that is not what applies here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird