DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K 30FPS and 1/60 shutter , too slow for pictures?

lolonisadie

Reactions
If I have an ND filter and I manually made my ISO to 100 and shutter to 1/60 sec since I am shooting 4K 30FPS, would the 1/60 shutter be too slow to produce a sharp picture? Do I need to change my ISO and shutter if I switch from video to picture? How do you guys do it?

Just let the thing hover, go into the settings and change to what you want. The 1/60 sec for video is really only to add the motion blur effect. There are a ton of videos on YouTube detailing the different effects you can get with shooting a different shutter speeds and frame rates. The lower ISO you can shoot the better unless you want to add effects from a higher ISO. Watch a lot of videos and practice in different modes to see the results.

Why would you want to take pics at 1/60? Unless you are trying to blur some fast moving waterfall, or something like that, i'd remove the filter, and either let the auto setting choose everything, or go low ISO and set the shutter so the Mavic's metering says i am at EV-1/3 or so, maybe even EV-2/3 (Mavic really tends to overexpose).

If I have an ND filter and I manually made my ISO to 100 and shutter to 1/60 sec since I am shooting 4K 30FPS, would the 1/60 shutter be too slow to produce a sharp picture? Do I need to change my ISO and shutter if I switch from video to picture? How do you guys do it?

The effect of the ND filter is to darken the incoming light, which requires lowering the shutter speed. If you're getting good exposures with your videos, then the stills should also be good. 30fps means you're shooting your videos at 30 stills per second.

The very reason you want less light in and a slower shutter speed on videos is because if something on your videos moves fast enough, you actually WANT the motion blur, so the movement seems more natural. This motion blur is something you probably DON'T wany on stills.

Reactions: MadValley
1/60th is generally too slow for sharp images, especially if anything is moving (drone, branches, people, water etc). That's why you shouldn't use ND filters for a photo flight if you want the best quality.
Video you want motion blur, photos you want the exact opposite. So take the ND off for photos.

i only use my mav for photos, i picked up some nd for bright days, i was seeing 1/3200 in the daylight, i dont like shooting that fast so i use nd to bring it down a bit to a normal level like 1/1250 ish, i wish the mav could adjjust the aperture

1/3200 will work just as well as 1/1250. No need for an ND. A variable aperture would be nice though.

1/60th is generally too slow for sharp images, especially if anything is moving (drone, branches, people, water etc). That's why you shouldn't use ND filters for a photo flight if you want the best quality.
Video you want motion blur, photos you want the exact opposite. So take the ND off for photos.

1) In the case of people and water, many photographers desire movement in their stills, which is why they use slow shutter speeds

2) Because the MP's lens is the 35mm equivalent of 28mm, high shutter speeds are not required for sharp photos

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada