DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K flicker unlike others

JaySec

Reactions
Hello all,

So I am a new owner of a drone and have been test flying for the last month or so, doing absolutely basic shooting of terrible locations just to get my head around the capabilities.

I have checked other posts for flicker issues but have not come across any that are so similar to this issue.

What I have found on my play back of 4K footage on my LG Tv is that there is a line that runs dead centre vertically down the image which causes one side to be brighter then the other.

Unfortunately my laptop which was the only thing I could edit on was stolen a few weeks ago so I have no way to chop a clip of it happening out for posting.

What I do have is the poor iPhone video of my Tv where hopefully you can see what I mean.

Many thanks
J

I recommend that you post the actual video here, rather than a video of the video

Reactions: sixthhour
I almost always see flickering with my Mavic, which is a result of the video compression that DJI uses. The degree of flickering depends on how highly exposed the scene is - at lower exposures, there tends to be more flickering. It can also depend on how much detail is in the image. I get around this by using a plugin called Flicker Free. It costs a bit of money, and adds a lot more time onto rendering, but for me, this is an essential plugin when using the Mavic.

I've also noticed occasional anomalies that I believe are a result of compression. For example, when filming a waterfall one time, the water spray created this super weird flickering - or jumping around of large blocks of pixels - that was localized to the specific part of the image where the water spray was. I've also seen this with fog / light cloud, and smooth patches of water. I think some types of patterns are just too much for the Mavic's compression algorithm to handle. Luckily, this doesn't occur too often. But it's definitely very annoying when it does, as it often ruins the shot.

All that is to say that perhaps what you're seeing is one or both of those phenomena occurring. That said, it's definitely bizarre that it is localized to the left half of the frame. Have you noticed this with other footage from the Mavic? Maybe the pattern in the grass combined with the exposure setting for that scene was throwing off the compression algorithm.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll