DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4k footage crashing iMac using FCPX

Rhettkd

Reactions
I shot 4k footage for the first time this month on my Mavic Air 2 and imported into FCPX. After a few minutes of color grading and editing the (less than four minutes of) footage, my iMac 27" crashed. I took it to the Apple Store and they said the hardware looks fine and told me to factory reset it. I did. Same problem.

Today I spent 90 minutes on the phone with a very helpful Apple technician, Matt, and we determined it was not the software either. I was able to perform the same color grading and edits on 4k footage shot on my phone just fine. I was also able to do the same with the 4k drone footage if I converted it to 1080p with Quicktime. He said that he's seen this before with other drone footage.

Do you any of you have any ideas on what I might be doing wrong, or a setting I may have overlooked?
Thank you!

I'm not familiar with FCP, but my guess is that whatever you have is overpowering something. Is there a "proxy" feature in FCP where the screen/viewing resolution might be in 1080p while the render would be in 4k? This is a feature in Davinci Resolve which really helps when you're asking your computer to do more than it's able to handle with full screen rez.

I'm not familiar with FCP, but my guess is that whatever you have is overpowering something. Is there a "proxy" feature in FCP where the screen/viewing resolution might be in 1080p while the render would be in 4k? This is a feature in Davinci Resolve which really helps when you're asking your computer to do more than it's able to handle with full screen rez.
Thanks, vindivona1. I’m using the proxy feature like I normally do, but it’s still crashes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka