DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K non-playible

Enigmatic51

Reactions
My drone will not download a 4K video...my LAPTOP computer crashes...but it will download a 1080P video... I do have a VLC Media player on my laptop, but my results are not good...HELP!

My drone will not download a 4K video...my LAPTOP computer crashes...but it will download a 1080P video... I do have a VLC Media player on my laptop, but my results are not good...HELP!

PC or Mac?

What specification:

CPU/Speed?
RAM?
Hard Drive speed - 5,400 or 7,200 RPM?

I am another one for the "your computer may not be up to it" idea. I have the same problem but bizarrely the other OS idea has merit.
Windows 7 struggles with such videos on that computer but windows 10 can play some of them. Though I have not checked whether windows 10 can play all of them.

Reactions: Thomas B
I agree with the other posters.... your computer may not be up to the task. Also VLC struggles with some 4K content that my Quicktime player plays with ease. Finally I find that my unprocessed videos from the drone can play with some chop but once I put them through a video editor like I-movie on my Mac, they play without hesitation.

Reactions: Thomas B
I have been using VLC for many years now but it seems to let me down when I try to play 4K 60fps H.265 content of the Mavic Air 2. Video sutters on all the computers that I own (older Windows 7 and more recent i7 running Windows 10).
This is for me the best, most stable solution that works on all PCs here at home:
Install FastStone Image Viewer (Freeware)
Install K-Lite Codec Pack (Freeware)
If I remember the "basic" version will do fine. You may associate the mp4 file extension to be played with Faststone.
This config plays the H.265 content correctly even on the older PCs with no fancy GPU installed.
Hope this is of any help to you.
Kind regards,
Frederic.

H265 is very hard on computer resources in 4K. It comes with small file sizes at the expense of high demand on computer resources. Depending on the computer architecture what is required is both fast powerful cpu, up to date os, and a good graphics card.

Using the h264 codec helps a lot. The only cost is much larger files.

Alienware M18...Using H264, Windows 7, i7 CPU, Q720 @1.60GHZ
8 GB RAM
Hard Drive AKA SanDisk SSD 240 GB

this is my portable laptop in the field...

Or
It might be the files are corrupt. To resolve. Put the SD Card back in the drone. Power on.
Start to record a video and stop record after a couple of seconds. Now power off whilst not recording. That sometimes recovers a corrupt file.
Try to play/download the files again.
Did this work?

The problem is most likely to be that the computer isn't up to the job.

Been there....still there... My computer is old, like a big calculator, so, I only can process 1080 images and videos... Anyway, photograph and videos are not my thing, so I love to fly my bird anyway. Lot of fun!

Alienware M18...Using H264, Windows 7, i7 CPU, Q720 @1.60GHZ
8 GB RAM
Hard Drive AKA SanDisk SSD 240 GB

this is my portable laptop in the field...

Without hardware support an i7 @1.6GHz will struggle. A lot of laptop GPU’s now support hardware decoding of 4K with Win10 or Mac OS support for H.264 and H.265 My 2014 MacBook Pro with a 2.6GHZ CPU, dual GPU’s and all SDD can’t natively handle 4K playback with H.265 but it will play H.265.

Until I upgrade I’m just using a lower resolution proxy and rendering out at 4K. It doesn’t take long to create the proxy files but much slower creating the 4K output.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54