DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4k video stuttering

GarthH

Reactions
Hey guys,

Shooting in 4K, 30fps, 1/60 shutter speed, white balance set to Sunny, ND32 filter (Skyreat), writing to 64gb Sandisk Extreme Plus A1 U3 V30 card.

See video below, unedited, straight from the SD card.

Notice that the video doesn't seem very smooth or cinematic, you can see some very slight stuttering as the camera pans up from the waves.

Hopefully it's not all in my head. Also, I'm on a 2 year old Dell Inspiron 17 5000, i7-8550U, 16GB RAM, 250gb SSD.

I plan to spend some time this week filming in a few different combinations (e.g. Auto, 4K, 2.7K, 1080p with 30 or 60 fps, double shutter speed, with and without filters)
and compare the results, but thought I'd post this in case anyone had any ideas.

Update: video stuttering is greatly reduced when using Windows Media Player, pronounced when using VLC.

May be my laptop after all.

Reactions: Thomas B
VLC tends not to use hardware acceleration so does not perform well on low-mid range CPU based systems.

Reactions: WAXMAN
at 60 fps and ND32 - You're FIGHTING !!!

to force a Fast frame rate - When Ur severely limiting Light - as a contradiction

My Recommendation -
Shoot 30fps -
Or drop your filtering lower -

by filtering so high you force the shutter speed slower - then by demanding 60fps - ….. im sure you get it !

Reactions: SimonD
Reactions: Thomas B and WAXMAN
at 60 fps and ND32 - You're FIGHTING !!!

to force a Fast frame rate - When Ur severely limiting Light - as a contradiction

My Recommendation -
Shoot 30fps -
Or drop your filtering lower -

by filtering so high you force the shutter speed slower - then by demanding 60fps - ….. im sure you get it !

Hey Rockowe - I was shooting 30fps, 1/60 shutter speed with a ND32 because it was very sunny that day.

Reactions: strdr and dawgpilot
Thanks everyone!

Did some more testing yesterday.

Video from SD plays much better through Windows Media Player.

I also noticed that the edited video from Davinci Resolve stuttered in VLC and Windows Media Player.

Did a quick edit in OpenShot and it stutters in VLC but plays well in Windows Media Player.

So I may stick with OpenShot from now on.

I noticed it slightly, very slightly...if you did not mention the stutter it probably would of looked normal to me.

just used a Sandisk Extreme Plus A1 U3 V30 card. at 4k 24fps in auto on a beach it has come out with a quality that first class, to me it floorless ,no shudder of any kind. ps no filters sunny day

Use Media Player Classic for playback. It will get the most our of low end laptop. That said I see a lot of stuttering in the waves but that could be youtube or your sd card

Hey guys,

Shooting in 4K, 30fps, 1/60 shutter speed, white balance set to Sunny, ND32 filter (Skyreat), writing to 64gb Sandisk Extreme Plus A1 U3 V30 card.

See video below, unedited, straight from the SD card.

Notice that the video doesn't seem very smooth or cinematic, you can see some very slight stuttering as the camera pans up from the waves.

Hopefully it's not all in my head. Also, I'm on a 2 year old Dell Inspiron 17 5000, i7-8550U, 16GB RAM, 250gb SSD.

I plan to spend some time this week filming in a few different combinations (e.g. Auto, 4K, 2.7K, 1080p with 30 or 60 fps, double shutter speed, with and without filters)
and compare the results, but thought I'd post this in case anyone had any ideas.

I thought it looked ok too. As the other respondents have said, there are a variety of factors that can cause stuttering. I found that my SD card had too slow a write rate. I upgraded and the problem went away. THough I've settled on HD these days over 4k, for the video projects I work with.

Reactions: GarthH
I thought it looked ok too. As the other respondents have said, there are a variety of factors that can cause stuttering. I found that my SD card had too slow a write rate. I upgraded and the problem went away. THough I've settled on HD these days over 4k, for the video projects I work with.
Is you're editing timeline at 30 sec? The stuttering appears at a regular interval like a mismatch in fps.. I guess

Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143