DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5 min. Submersion for my MA2 - A day in the rice and it's all good

macfawlty

Reactions
I’ve been flying for about 4 years. I fly ‘relatively‘ safe, but may have a higher risk tolerance than others when it comes to trees and water. Everywhere I fly is trees and water, and flying high all the time is boring. My M2P is out for repairs from some tree pruning and crashing in the woods last weekend in Western Maryland, so I got an MA2 earlier this week to have something to fly in the meantime. I exclusively use a tablet so I can see my telemetry clearly, but forgot to order a longer USB-C to Lightning cable in time for the trip and had to use my Galaxy s9+. It was very difficult to view the tiny text, map and telemetry data and challenging to make settings changes while flying. I really rely on my telemetry.
I was descending slowly over water, got too low and dipped in the river (yes I realize the downward sensors don't work over water). I immediately ascended and it hovered for a few seconds before doing a couple flips and dropping to the bottom of the river. The river was a big pool in this section, flatwater, clear. I could see the MA2. The lights were on so I walked out, fully clothed, to chest deep, dove down and got it. It was still running so I turned it off, dried it out and attempted startup to check status. It was submerged for at least a few minutes. Everything seemed to be ok except 2 of the rotors weren’t working at all and I got an ERC error.
If an MA2 is submerged or gets wet from rain, what are the most likely things to short out? How ‘waterproof’ is the MA2?
I was ready to buy the Phantom Rain wetsuit for and the water landing pad for the MA2, but it wouldn’t have arrived in time for this trip as I just bought it earlier this week.
I’ll either return, repair or file an insurance claim. Not a big deal.
That said, I really enjoyed flying the MA2. It moves so well, feels different than the M2P. I flew a bit in FPV mode which can create really cinematic footage with practice. Even though I own the M2P, this MA2 is a keeper. I really need a backup to compliment my M2P and when one is in for repairs and the MA2 is really a great drone.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Torcan
If you send it back without reporting that it does not work because you used it as a submarine, hoping for a refund or replacement, it is fraud.

My plan is to package it up and return to BestBuy for a replacement. Hopefully, that’ll work out since I just bought it a few days ago! Otherwise, I repair or get drone insurance to cover it.
Why would you even add that to your posting? You know you open yourself to many negative responses. Mine included
You made the mistakes, man up, why try to stick it to BestBuy, or Insurance,(which we all end up paying more for in the end)
I just cannot believe some people

Why would you even add that to your posting? You know you open yourself to many negative responses. Mine included
You made the mistakes, man up, why try to stick it to BestBuy, or Insurance,(which we all end up paying more for in the end)
I just cannot believe some people
I’m always amused at the responses here. You CAN believe it! That’s what insurance is for. I buy equipment to use to its fullest enjoyment. There’s ALWAYS a chance of damage, loss or theft. Risk is relative. I’m not gonna lose any sleep over it regardless. If DJI provided a cable longer than 3” or had better downward sensors, perhaps my MA2 would not have gone swimming. Over my long history with BestBuy, Ive gotten jerked around by them on many occasions ending up on the short end every time, so perhaps it’s karma time.

I’m always amused at the responses here. You CAN believe it! That’s what insurance is for. I buy equipment to use to its fullest enjoyment. There’s ALWAYS a chance of damage, loss or theft. Risk is relative. I’m not gonna lose any sleep over it regardless. If DJI provided a cable longer than 3” or had better downward sensors, perhaps my MA2 would not have gone swimming. Over my long history with BestBuy, Ive gotten jerked around by them on many occasions ending up on the short end every time, so perhaps it’s karma time.
Your own post, you damaged your drone and now will buy insurance "after the fact" and claim. That is fraud. That is NOT what insurance is for. I'm outta here.

I’ve been flying for about 4 years. I fly ‘relatively‘ safe, but may have a higher risk tolerance than others when it comes to trees and water. Everywhere I fly is trees and water, and flying high all the time is boring. My M2P is out for repairs from some tree pruning and crashing in the woods last weekend in Western Maryland, so I got an MA2 earlier this week to have something to fly in the meantime. I exclusively use a tablet so I can see my telemetry clearly, but forgot to order a longer USB-C to Lightning cable in time for the trip and had to use my Galaxy s9+. It was very difficult to view the tiny text, map and telemetry data and challenging to make settings changes while flying. I really rely on my telemetry.
I was descending slowly over water, got too low and dipped in the river (yes I realize the downward sensors. I immediately ascended and it hovered for a few seconds before doing a couple flips and dropping to the bottom of the river. The river was a big pool in this section, flatwater, clear. I could see the MA2. The lights were on so I walked out, fully clothed, to chest deep, dove down and got it. It was still running so I turned it off, dried it out and attempted startup to check status. It was submerged for at least a few minutes. Everything seemed to be ok except 2 of the rotors weren’t working at all and I got an ERC error.
If an MA2 is submerged or gets wet from rain, what are the most likely things to short out? How ‘waterproof’ is the MA2?
I was ready to buy the Phantom Rain wetsuit for and the water landing pad for the MA2, but it wouldn’t have arrived in time for this trip as I just bought it earlier this week.
I’ll either return, repair or get the insurance. Not a big deal.
That said, I really enjoyed flying the MA2. It moves so well, feels different than the M2P. I flew a bit in FPV mode which can create really cinematic footage with practice. Even though I own the M2P, this MA2 is a keeper. I really need a backup to compliment my M2P and when one is in for repairs and the MA2 is really a great drone.

Yes when water get inside the battery , the Flip over to death valley is quick not because the battery is dead but because it lost it ability to connect with the drone and than the drone just flips over and drops. The Battery is as we state the weak link because of the disconnect that happens like this even though the battery is still itself working.

Your mistake was attempting to start up the drone with the same battery that compromised and most likely shorting out the IMU board.
Had you just take shut the drone down, let it dry off for a day and than put in a new battery , you might have been ok.

The AIR 2 has become our favorite drone, and the Wet Suit and the Rescue Jacket are just perfect for that drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in the rain and float on water.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Yes when water get inside the battery , the Flip over to death valley is quick not because the battery is dead but because it lost it ability to connect with the drone and than the drone just flips over and drops. The Battery is as we state the weak link because of the disconnect that happens like this even though the battery is still itself working.

Your mistake was attempting to start up the drone with the same battery that compromised and most likely shorting out the IMU board.
Had you just take shut the drone down, let it dry off for a day and than put in a new battery , you might have been ok.

The AIR 2 has become our favorite drone, and the Wet Suit and the Rescue Jacket are just perfect for that drone.

Phantomrain.org
I doubt the battery had anything to do with it. The AC was still showing life while it was being pulled out of the water.
The battery would be on or off, providing the same voltage it normally provides. It cannot by itself burn anything out. The damage would have to be inside the AC.

The boards in the AC are coated to resist moisture but it isn't waterproof. Also the solder points for wires to the motors/lights as well as the connectors are not protected from moisture.

It's possible too that while the props were in the water, the ESC had the motor fight too hard against the water where it burned out.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I agree with the boards being Coated , we have noticed that , and the motors hitting the water to hard make sense on the ESC being burned out. Awesome. Thank you.

One thing to note is that when we Fully Submerged the Air 2 under water , a couple times during the week , the IMU was compromised.

Where as the Mavic 2 held strong after every submersion under water.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Float on water.

Last edited:

Phantomrain.org

Thanks for the response. I did let it dry out overnight in rice and used another battery, but given that it was still running when I fished it out, the damage was likely already done. I was just curious as to the likely failure points in instance of submersion.
I know of your excellent rain suits and have been viewing your videos a lot over the last week or so. This trip was only a couple days from when I decided to buy the MA2, so there wasn’t enough time to receive it unfortunately, or I would have. I also wasn’t certain I was going to keep the MA2 until I’d demo’d it a few times.
i recount my experience here so other pilots can either learn or ridicule. I anticipate the criticism I often see here from fellow pilots and take no offense. The ‘risks’ I take with my drones are a risk to the drone only, not people. As a former Hang glider pilot, the risks with my drones is literally incidental by comparison. I prefer not to crash, but my primary concern is losing footage, so retrieval is important. The new ‘find my drone‘ feature on the MA2 could come in handy.
To be clear though, submitting an insurance claim on a drone insurance policy I paid for is not fraud.

Thanks for the response. I did let it dry out overnight in rice and used another battery, but given that it was still running when I fished it out, the damage was likely already done. I was just curious as to the likely failure points in instance of submersion.
I know of your excellent rain suits and have been viewing your videos a lot over the last week or so. This trip was only a couple days from when I decided to buy the MA2, so there wasn’t enough time to receive it unfortunately, or I would have. I also wasn’t certain I was going to keep the MA2 until I’d demo’d it a few times.
i recount my experience here so other pilots can either learn or ridicule. I anticipate the criticism I often see here from fellow pilots and take no offense. The ‘risks’ I take with my drones are a risk to the drone only, not people. As a former Hang glider pilot, the risks with my drones is literally incidental by comparison. I prefer not to crash, but my primary concern is losing footage, so retrieval is important. The new ‘find my drone‘ feature on the MA2 could come in handy.
To be clear though, submitting an insurance claim on a drone insurance policy I paid for is not fraud.

Well, the insurance claimed to cover EVERYTHING. The usual catch is you have to have the drone, and you do.

• Love

I have no idea why anyone would have thought that.
When your ready just email me and I will set you up with a nice Wet Suit and Rescue Jacket Package..and discount to help you out.

Thanks for getting back to me.
[email protected]

I agree with the boards being Coated , we have noticed that , and the motors hitting the water to hard make sense on the ESC being burned out. Awesome. Thank you.

One thing to note is that when we Fully Submerged the Air 2 under water , a couple times during the week , the IMU was compromised.

Where as the Mavic 2 held strong after every submersion under water.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Float on water.
Cool, thanks for the info. I wondered if anyone had performed such tests on water resistance or submersion. Makes sense you guys have. Your product promotion is more than matched by your active participation on MavicPilots. I’m definitely gonna get the rain suit. I was undecided about the rescue jacket with regards to wind dynamics on a MA2, but it would have saved me in this instance.

• Love
your original post said "or get the insurance"
then you change after my comment and say "was insured"
I call them like I see(read) them

You have to realize the many of us are using our phone , talking voice to memo, typing very quickly its easy to miss speak, you have to qualify just a little bit before
making a judgement and many on here police every thread as guilty. This is a forum , were happy to just see people posting and sharing.

Than we got the guy who accused him of straight up fraud, and in my world thats like pulling the trigger on the gun before you even know what your shooting.

The whole world right now is trying to stop this......

Reactions: GFields
You have to realize the many of us are using our phone , talking voice to memo, typing very quickly its easy to miss speak, you have to qualify just a little bit before
making a judgement and many on here police every thread as guilty. This is a forum , were happy to just see people posting and sharing.
not making a judgement, pointing out what was written and expressing my opposition to what I read
I also understand very well your motive for defending and offering an explanation

not making a judgement, pointing out what was written and expressing my opposition to what I read
I also understand very well your motive for defending and offering an explanation

No your wrong again I am defending me , as 90% of my post are quick , voice to text and paste. Come back and hour latter edit up .
Its that simple.

Thus : qualifying is always just one more question away.

I’ve no propensity to a confessional, but I seem to learn a lot more from failure than success. As it relates to equipment, my process of learning, testing, failing, analyzing, repeating is assisted by writing and recounting the process and workflow to improve moving forward. I made a handful of errors in this particular flight, but the biggest problem was using my smartphone instead of a tablet. Surprisingly, it’s the first and only time I’ve used a smartphone since I started flying 4 years ago. I truly need a large view of my telemetry for quick reference on altitude, distance, direction. The telemetry for the DJI Fly app is very tiny and on the edges of the screen (where my screen protector has spider cracks). I had a hard time actually changing settings because the touch points were on the curved edges next to the padded brackets. The reason I dipped in the water was because I was talking to my buddy while flying and a bit distracted. I also often use the quick gimbal down button on my M2P before descending, which for whatever reason, the oversized MA2 controller does not have.

My primary purpose is improving my flying and filming to capture quality cinematic shots. Flying close to trees and other features, turning, reveals, laterals, etc. can yield magical shots, but I can’t always see where I’m going and therein lies the risk. I can’t achieve the awe of parallax flying 200 ft. above the trees.

Flying drones brings to me the joy of flying I miss from hang gliding...with less fear of personal injury. From the first time I saw one, I was determined to fly. The first 2 years of practicing on hills was no picnic. The Pennsylvania launch sites I flew back in those days were very challenging even in the best of conditions. A massive field of boulders were the penalty for a blown launch and landing fields were a long way down the ridge. I sat out many cold winter days at NW launch sites while others flew. I assure you fighting strong headwinds bounced around to the puke point freezing my butt off strapped to a kite at 4,500 ft. feels less than joyful knowing the leeward side of the ridge is an almost certain tree landing deep in the woods. Risk is relative.

Last edited:
Many years ago a old friend how was a watchmaker told me if water gets in to the works and you want to dry it out completely get a container half fill it with methylated spirits then put a cloth over it but don't get the cloth wet and put what ever you want to dry out on the cloth the methylated spirits with vaborize the water leaving it dry

Reactions: OBSALAM
I also often use the quick gimbal down button on my M2P before descending, which for whatever reason, the oversized MA2 controller does not have.
If you press the "fn" button twice, it will alternately recenter the gimbal or point it straight down.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun