DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

8" or 10" Tablet which is the Best

Hummbird

Reactions
What is the best cheapo tablet that will work good with the mini 2, i live on ssi so money is hard to come by so if you can help me decide thats great, thanks

Reactions: Drabschy
Rick from Drone Valley on YouTube has a video on that subject. Explains the differences of the tablets, not all, but gives you some ideas on what to shop for. Might help you pick out one or two.

Reactions: Howard70
I've been using a 7" Dragon Touch that I found on Amazon, I think it was $65.00. I too am retired living mostly on SS. The Dragon Touch was about the only 64 bt OS I could find. Check it out, good luck.

Reactions: Howard70
What is the best cheapo tablet that will work good with the mini 2, i live on ssi so money is hard to come by so if you can help me decide thats great, thanks
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32 GB WiFi Android 9.0 Pie Tablet Black (2019) - SM-T290NZKAXAR $129 US at Amazon today. (Same price as Costco for the past year). You have to download the apk from dji onto the tablet; then everything works well. I usually put my devices in airplane mode. ***note the T290 and DjFly needs both a 64 bit processor and 64 bit Android. The latter is rarely mentioned. Also note that the 10" one does not work.

Not knowing what your budget or urgency are I dont know if this helps but Target has the galaxy tab s6 lite normally for $350 but will have it on sale about every 6-8 weeks below $300. If you happen to have one of their timed coupons( X% off on electronics) and use their red card( you can apply for their debit that links to your normal bank account) you can get one for a great price. I bought 2 of them for 250 each at various times over the last yearand the last one for $225 out the door just last month. And no, I didn't buy 3 because they keep breaking its so that I can fly the fleet all at once without the kids bickering about who has to fly on a small screen. Still not a truly cheap tablet but 10.4" very bright screen, with 64gb built in storage and a micro sd card slot that accepts 1TB that will run pretty much anything you can through at an android tablet. The only thing bad to say about it is no compass but really since you're supposed to be visual flying line of sight that's a small trade off.

Got the Lenovo Tab M10 FHD - and it's about $150. It doesn't have the compass built in and only Wi-Fi capable, which all is fine for me to fly my Air2 with.

Loads and runs the FlyApp pretty well. Far better than my Moto-Z phone.

I feel your pain. I'm on disability and i bought a new tablet a year ago and now i can't use it for Fly because Fly requires 64bit devices. My last tablet was too slow and laggy for DJI Go 4 so i couldn't use it for that. So i get a new tablet and it works perfectly fine for the DJI Go 4 for flying my friends Mavic Pro 2. pity they can't make DJI Fly compatible with more devices since Go and Go 4 can work perfectly fine on 32 bit devices.

Samsung Tab A7, 64 gb (2020) version with 10.4 inch screen, compass, and 64 bit processor works great!

Reactions: gil84
I'm new to the DJI world of drones but not new to drone hobby. I just received a Mini 2 but my current phone isn't compatible. Problem is I don't want to spend premium $$ on a new phone and also considering using an 8" tablet. I see the issue of having, or not having, a compass. Is a compass a critical need to fly? I am pretty much a samsung brand loyalist and would like to use an 8" tab A but I see that they do not have a compass. Any issue with going without a compass?

I'm new to the DJI world of drones but not new to drone hobby. I just received a Mini 2 but my current phone isn't compatible. Problem is I don't want to spend premium $$ on a new phone and also considering using an 8" tablet. I see the issue of having, or not having, a compass. Is a compass a critical need to fly? I am pretty much a samsung brand loyalist and would like to use an 8" tab A but I see that they do not have a compass. Any issue with going without a compass?
no problem at all, I use a galaxy tab A 8" 2019 and for the first time ever I lost sight of my mini2, 150 ft away and about 200ft high because of the sun so all I done was to click on the map, bottom left to bring it up full screen, I could see the drone (blue arrow) also the blue dot where I was standing so I turned the drone arrow to point towards me and flew it along the blue line until I could see it again, so a compass isn't 100% nessesary

Last edited:
If you have an older phone / tablet - it may or may not run the latest FlyApp. Very hoggish. Best thing if you don't want to go a new phone / tablet is to use an older FlyApp version. Several posts on the subject on where to find them - do a search thru the forums.

I've got a Lenovo Tab 10 that is wi-fi only and have maps / compass when "supposedly" the feature does not work on that tablet. Guess mine is special.

Maps / compass is like RTH. A nice "safety" feature when you need it. Some folks like both items and use them regularly - that is simply a pilot choice. I rarely use RTH due to my flight conditions and map / compass has come in handy on a few occasions in orienting the drone, esp when you have been watching the screen for a bit and lost exactly where the drone is when looking up for it. Esp in bright sunlight (clear skies), it's easy to lose a tiny gray drone if it happens to cross the sun beam between you and the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3