DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$8000 drone vs $1000 drone at night photography

thomashall1993

Reactions
I frequently shoot pictures of our state capitol since I live in it and was making some new attempts at creating photos of it under the 336 rules, so that when I go to the trouble of following the SOPs for our Daylight Waiver, I would not be wasting anyone's time. Our Capitol is in Class D airspace so consequently, the Daylight Waiver has to be attached to a COA for our commercial flights at night.

I took my Inspire 2 with Zenmuse X7 and 16mm lens out and shot the first picture in raw and edited it in post. The X7 creates 40MB files and so there is plenty of data to work with. Several nights later, I took my Mavic Pro out and attempted to do basically the same shot. I had not paid attention to the altitude of the first shot so the second shot is a little higher in altitude. The largest issue in shooting with the MP was that due to the dramatically smaller size of the sensor, I would not be able to have a short enough exposure time to get a stable shot. In order to get correct exposure with one shot, it would require three seconds. At 300 feet, the MP is not going to hover in one spot long enough to get a clear shot on a mildly windy night. In order to get as clear a photo as possible, I would have to speed up the shutter which would underexpose the photo. My solution to not enough data (light) was to do two 5 shot bursts and then take all of the crisp shots and combine them in LR. The second photo is the results from this technique.

Inspire-Night-Capitol.jpgMavic-Pro-Night-Capitol.jpg

Wow, what a difference. If one doesn't have LR, what would some alternatives be?

Wow, what a difference. If one doesn't have LR, what would some alternatives be?

Affinity Photo. For the money hands down the best photo / raw editor I have used. I also really rate DxO if your camera / lens combo is supported.

I have both as they both have a slightly different feature set and the pair cost about the same as a few months CC subscription but they’re yours to keep :)

I’ve shot with the inspire 2/x7 as well as the MP 2 pro on the same night and found it impossible to get a sharp 2 second shot with the inspire in 15-20mph winds. The MP 2 Pro has no trouble getting sharp shots in the same conditions.

The x7 is clearly a superior camera but we just couldn’t get a sharp long exposure. Out of 80 shots, only one was remotely sharp, while half of the shots from the Mavic 2 Pro were sharp.

Reactions: thomashall1993
I’ve shot with the inspire 2/x7 as well as the MP 2 pro on the same night and found it impossible to get a sharp 2 second shot with the inspire in 15-20mph winds. The MP 2 Pro has no trouble getting sharp shots in the same conditions.

The x7 is clearly a superior camera but we just couldn’t get a sharp long exposure. Out of 80 shots, only one was remotely sharp, while half of the shots from the Mavic 2 Pro were sharp.

The M2P does seem to have a sprinkling of magic fairy dust doesn’t it?! Such an awesome machine :)

I cannot honestly say that I edited both sets of pictures in the same way. I work to never create identical templates of any of my work.

Unrelated to the quality of your pics (they are outstanding), it is interesting to take note of which office lights are on in both photos. Given that they're taken days apart, you can see (assume) which workers have no home life...

Unrelated to the quality of your pics (they are outstanding), it is interesting to take note of which office lights are on in both photos. Given that they're taken days apart, you can see (assume) which workers have no home life...
LOL. Interesting take but I see what you mean. Unfortunately I am part of that crowd from time to time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slim.slamma
I took a couple of night shots with my MP2 using HDR but it won’t let me use raw in camera mode for some reason. I used LR to enhance a little but this is mainly original. Incidentally I thought DC was a NFZ? I’m still studying for my license and I’m in the NAS section so I’m still familiarising myself with the airspace classifications. IMG_0445.jpg

I cannot honestly say that I edited both sets of pictures in the same way. I work to never create identical templates of any of my work.
Great pictures. Could you tell me what technique you used to merge these in light room? Did you adjust the exposure in each image differently and merge them as an HDR?

Great pictures. Could you tell me what technique you used to merge these in light room? Did you adjust the exposure in each image differently and merge them as an HDR?
Because each photo was underexposed, there was not enough data to provide the light. I went through the underexposed photos and made sure they were all crisp by bringing up the exposure first to examine them. Once I had ensured that all the pictures were crisp with no motion blur, I selected the photos I wanted to merge and then selected photo, photo merge in HDR. I have read some articles that say that LR does a better job of merging the data than PS does. Then with the HDR combined, I just do a normal edit of the picture since there is now enough data from the combined photos.

Because each photo was underexposed, there was not enough data to provide the light. I went through the underexposed photos and made sure they were all crisp by bringing up the exposure first to examine them. Once I had ensured that all the pictures were crisp with no motion blur, I selected the photos I wanted to merge and then selected photo, photo merge in HDR. I have read some articles that say that LR does a better job of merging the data than PS does. Then with the HDR combined, I just do a normal edit of the picture since there is now enough data from the combined photos.
Thanks for the info. I was just curious what your workflow was. There's not a lot of options to merge in LR, I knew it had to be one of three. I couldn't understand why you would need ten photos but now it makes sense.

I'm also not a big fan of in camera processing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27