DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

9.7 iPad Pro

Kraquin

Reactions
Considering a 9.7 iPad Pro dedicated to the MP. Upon doing some research I found this in regards to tablets ...

"The “follow me” modes and some other features that the Mavic is widely appreciated for are not available when you are using tablets, but the ease of control is worth the sacrifice for many."

What's The Best Tablet for DJI Mavic Pro? [Fall 2017] - Dronethusiast Explains!

I just got the MP as a Christmas gift and have not flown yet.

Is the above statement accurate regarding the iPad Pro? If so, how important are these "other features" that I would be missing if I used the iPad Pro?

thanks

You can find better information about tablets here.

Considering a 9.7 iPad Pro dedicated to the MP. Upon doing some research I found this in regards to tablets ...

"The “follow me” modes and some other features that the Mavic is widely appreciated for are not available when you are using tablets, but the ease of control is worth the sacrifice for many."

What's The Best Tablet for DJI Mavic Pro? [Fall 2017] - Dronethusiast Explains!

I just got the MP as a Christmas gift and have not flown yet.

Is the above statement accurate regarding the iPad Pro? If so, how important are these "other features" that I would be missing if I used the iPad Pro?

thanks
Believe this would be Wifi only iPads that would cause this issue. But if you hotspot the iPad to a phone. Sorted!

But if you hotspot the iPad to a phone. Sorted!
Are you referring to using the Follow Me mode? If so, hotspotting will not solve that problem.

Are you referring to using the Follow Me mode? If so, hotspotting will not solve that problem.
No thinking about it the iPad would require a GPS chip. My bad I’m wrong sorry.

If you're buying new, the current smallest iPad Pro is 10.5 inches, not 9.7. Not a significant difference, but it will be a consideration when buying a mount and sun hood.

A mobile bluetooth GPS module paired with a wif-only Ipad will allow you to do hotspotting.

ah, so I can use my xgps150a! nice! Currently I use that bluetooth gps and iPad while in my Jeep. Mounted on a RAM holders. works great for giving me Topo's of the Jeep trails.

Great that I can a use for it with my MP and iPad. :)

I love my iPad Pro 9.7 but it is not as bright as the CrystalSky units. The newer iPad Pro 10.5 is claimed to be brighter than the 9.7: 600 nits vs. the 9.7’s 511 nits. Both have all the processor you will need.

So it seems, after more research, that if you want a stable platform with a display usable on a sunny day without shade or hood you have to go with one of the CrystalSky displays. If there was an iPhone with at least 1000 nits I'd jump on it. The Note 8 initially looked promising as I was looking for a new phone and one with at least 1000 nits but dji obviously caters to Apple.

Last edited:
Its more a question of customization. Android as an OS is heavily modified by companies for all kinds of phones, tablets etc. If they would just use the core Android it would be much different. There is a reason the CrystalSky's are running Android. Apple controls hardware and software, makes it easier to write software knowing it works on all of their devices.

I have been using an IpadPro 9.7 for the last 2 weeks. I have run some Go4 FPV and Litchi waypoint flight plans with no problems, but have not tried follow me. I do wish that it would go brighter for use outside.

iPad Pro 10.5

I am an Android person BUT for the MPP I have been using an Apple iPad Air (9.7 Wi-Fi only) for my display. I like the size (not every pilot is 18). :( I plan to upgrade to a dedicated display. It would appear that the iPad Pro is the best bang for the buck (CS is not an option). A LOT of flying will be done without access to cellular.

I was considering another 9.7 (Wi-Fi only) but I read that perhaps not all gesture functions and perhaps other functions of the MPP may not be available on the 9.7. The only apps on my current and "next" display are MPP related.

Do I need:
9.7 or 10.5
+ Cellular
What else do I need to think about

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas