DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Better Way to Charge/Discharge your DJI Batteries

zeeeegerman

Reactions
Hey all,
Excited to share the following video with you guys. A better way to charge and discharge your DJI batteries:

Let me know in the comments how you guys charge and discharge your batteries!
Cheers,

I will be looking into this device, the better you treat your batteries the longer they will last and better they will perform.

Reactions: zeeeegerman
Does DJI have an opinion about storage voltages and discharge / charge strategies? I’ve never given much thought to actual storage voltages and I guess that I’ve just been lucky up until now. I’m part of the “ignorance is bliss until something goes wrong” crowd. This is why I love this forum. Each time I read things, I get a little smarter.

I've never heard about needing to discharge batteries.
In what situation would you need to do this...ie if the drone won't be used for a week, a month, etc?

I have been working with Li-Poly and Li-Ion batteries for around 8 years. There is quite a bit of conflicting information on the Internet. Most knowledgeable sources state that Li-Ion batteries are not as sensitive to storage voltage as Li-Poly batteries. If you look at the last two pages of the tech manual in my earlier post, it indicates that storage at 20*C (about 68*F or room temp), the cells will lose approximately 5% in their first month and 3% per month after the first month (3.99V, then 3.87V... etc.). I have left unattended Li-Ion batteries in storage for 6 -9 months without any apparent losses in full discharge voltage, once charged again. Like the stock market, your experiences may differ LOL.

Reactions: Drone Ranger
In what situation would you need to do this...ie if the drone won't be used for a week, a month, etc?

Our batteries do not like to be FULLY Charged for long periods of time. If you're going to be flying in the next couple of days leave em charged but I like mine to start coming down from FULL after about 3-5 days.

Our batteries do not like to be FULLY Charged for long periods of time. If you're going to be flying in the next couple of days leave em charged but I like mine to start coming down from FULL after about 3-5 days.
Do you use a device as described above...how do you discharge them?
Thanks,
Randy

Do you use a device as described above...how do you discharge them?
Thanks,
Randy

My situation is a bit different because I do this above just hobby level. We have to have one set of flight batteries Mission Ready 24/7 so we have to keep very detailed battery charge logs.

We try to "utilize" the aircraft to bring the batteries down to the suggested "Storage Level" of 40%- %60. It's a good "excuse" to NEED to fly LOL. If we don't have the luxury to fly them down to storage level the DJI batteries have SmartTechnology that will start to discharge them after the pre-designated # of days (depends on which aircraft you have as some you can set it between 1 - 10 days).

40-60% storage after a few days...good to know!
the DJI batteries have SmartTechnology that will start to discharge them after the pre-designated # of days (depends on which aircraft you have as some you can set it between 1 - 10 days).
So as I understand, you are saying that (newer) DJI batteries will automatically start to discharge after pre-designating the # of days...how does one select the number of days?
Certainly not too much trouble to discharge batteries with a cell phone charge but according to my wife, I can be somewhat absent minded ?

40-60% storage after a few days...good to know!

So as I understand, you are saying that (newer) DJI batteries will automatically start to discharge after pre-designating the # of days...how does one select the number of days?
Certainly not too much trouble to discharge batteries with a cell phone charge but according to my wife, I can be somewhat absent minded ?

It depends on your specific model but this quick video might help some (It's in the DJI Go Ap):

I use theTercel (now Hanatora) charger/discharger for for my M2 batteries. $54 on Amazon. It allows monitoring batteries while charging/discharging, charging to full, and charging to storage levels. It will do the all the above (which is more than in the video posted by OP) for 4 M2P/Z simultaneously in car or at home. Takes about 90 minutes for one to four simultaneously connected batteries as well as simultaneously charging the controller Much faster than the device above and no extras needed.
I’ve been using it for about 6-7 months with average 12 - 20 flights per week from full charge to 20-25% charge. I have noticed no difference in battery performance compared to 6 months of using the DJI 4 battery multicharger, which takes about four hours to charge four batteries and doesn’t offer discharge. Just my $0.02. The apparatus is available for many DJI battery types. Here’s a link to check it out if interested:

Reactions: DuffMog and BigAl07
I will be looking into this device, the better you treat your batteries the longer they will last and better they will perform.
Agree with ya CactusJackSlade!

Does DJI have an opinion about storage voltages and discharge / charge strategies? I’ve never given much thought to actual storage voltages and I guess that I’ve just been lucky up until now. I’m part of the “ignorance is bliss until something goes wrong” crowd. This is why I love this forum. Each time I read things, I get a little smarter.
Yes DJI states that batteries need to be stored at storage voltage, why most of their batteries slowly make their way to storage voltage if they have enough charge after X number of days. If the battery voltage is too low, this of course can't happen.

Hey Randy, great question. If you have a fully charged battery and you don't fly with it, it really needs to be discharged within a day or two to ensure the battery longevity. Batteries should be cycled once a month, this is a recommendation even by DJI. (fully charged and discharged, then back to storage voltage).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara