DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A cheaper alternative to Firehouse strobes!

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I'm not sure why this didn't come up on my radar before, but I found a strobe that will fit the needs of a lot of pilots for around half the price of Firehouse strobes. Don't get me wrong, I have six or so ARC V's, and ARC II and some smaller strobes for my Mini 2. But I saw this new one from ViFly on Amazon for $15 and had to try it.

What sets the ViFly apart besides the cost is the versatility and small size. It can switch modes between clear, red and green so you can use it as you need it. Below is a photo showing size comparison. It is only about 1/4" longer than the small Firehouse strobe (bottom) but similar width.

I tend to use the smaller strobes, red and green for orientation on my Mini 2 and formerly Mini 1. So I thought to do a brightness comparison of the red mode compared to the FH red strobe (that has no color modes). I was shocked that the perceived brightness of the ViFly by guesstimate looks to be an F stop brighter than the FH in the red mode. I have yet to do a comparison of its clear mode vs the FH ARC II. Perhaps I'll get a chance to do that later on.

If you're really weight conscious, the ViFly strobe with male velcro weighs 6 grams while the FH strobe weighs 3.8 grams. Yeah, the Vifly is a little heavier, but it also can do three colors. the ViFly can be purchased as a 3-pack for $39 Vifly 3-pack Amazon

FWIW I recently tested the Lucorb T-T3 strobe but returned it as I could see the Firehouse strobes, particularly the ARC V better.

Again, I'm not unhappy with my Firehouse strobes, especially the ARC V's which are hard to beat, but 13 grams each. But I think these ViFly strobes can be a great alternative for the smaller Firehouse strobes, especially for a drone you need to keep under 250g.

1643157324874.png

I use three VIFLY strobes on my Mini SE - one strobing white on top (at night) and
One on each side flashing red (left) snd green (right).

REALLY helps with orientation and LOS, day or night.

Reactions: ACDan and dozzn
They appear to be a good product for a fair price.

Here's a link where one of our vendors makes mounts for them:

Reactions: RMS001
Bought the 3 pack on sale for less than my 1 ARCV. Very bright, light and I can easily attach with a rubber band. I've used them for 3 months with no problem.

Cheap version without a good CRI XP LED.

Reactions: BigAl07
Looks like a size between Dual and ARCII.
So about right for bang for buck on LED numbers.
Nice find, and overseas folk MIGHT be able to order and get them shipped ok too !!
I would say you're correct. It's the same width as the dual and the same length as the ARC II. The versatility is really quite remarkable having W/R/G capability on the same strobe with the amount of intensity it puts out.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I would say you're correct. It's the same width as the dual and the same length as the ARC II. The versatility is really quite remarkable having W/R/G capability on the same strobe with the amount of intensity it puts out.

The red / green colour option would be handy (if we could fly at night here), I just use white now in general to keep good VLOS when I look up from the ipad.
The red and green do stand out well at close range too, think I just have those in the Duals.

Just for example, this is the red one at 100' altitude and 318' distance in pitch black with the GoPro 4 Silver cranked up for night flight.

Attachments

• VIFLY_red_H100_D318.jpg
    VIFLY_red_H100_D318.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: RMS001
The red / green colour option would be handy (if we could fly at night here), I just use white now in general to keep good VLOS when I look up from the ipad.
The red and green do stand out well at close range too, think I just have those in the Duals.
I find r/g in the day time (or night) indispensable as it lets me know the orientation as long as it's within a reasonable distance in LOS. There are occasions when my drones get out of view, but not long as I try to be pretty strict about flying VLOS. But when not filming I like to keep my eye directly on the bird, not in the screen for most of the time. When filming it's the opposite. 99% of the time, day or night I fly with strobes.

I confess that I need more practice flying IFR :confused: getting over my anxiety of flying close to objects without sensors.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Size and weight comparisons for reference. Re-weighed (jewelry scale) Arc V= 13g, ARC II=8.6g, Dual=4.15g, ViFly 6.10g
Weights include male velcro on back. [Lucorb no longer on hand] Note: Colored ARC II size lighter than clear ARC II, about 6g

1643206570714.png

1643206697412.png

Attachments

• 1643206675450.png
    1643206675450.png
    423.2 KB · Views: 15
This looks really interesting. I'd like to dabble with night flying but the high cost of the FireHouse strobes have stopped me. The big advantage I thought the FireHouse ArcV strobes had were they were compliant with the FAA's night flying requirements (visible for 3 SM as I recall).

Do these ViFly strobes meet the FAA requirements?

This looks really interesting. I'd like to dabble with night flying but the high cost of the FireHouse strobes have stopped me. The big advantage I thought the FireHouse ArcV strobes had were they were compliant with the FAA's night flying requirements (visible for 3 SM as I recall).

Firehouse re FAA only if you use the single color one. The multicolor one has fewer lumens output, not a CRI emitter. The ones with CRI emitters dedicated color is then one with 1000 lumens. I learn this the hard way and the same firehouse owner explain it to me over the phone.

I personally do not think the cheapest lights with non-CRI emitters are approved by FAA. Firehouse has to certify this with pilots reporting they can see the lights at 3 miles in distance and that is how FAA certified this.

They say so on the ads. FWIW I think the photos show the colors on the wrong side.
1643224961354.png
1643225158496.png

Last edited:
The add can hold everything you write. I will ask for the certificate in PDF. Just saying. They are not the ones that get the fine from FAA. Is the PIC responsibility.

You can call them and ask for it.

My ARCV didn't come with an FAA certificate. Is there a link to it?

It SHOULD come with documentation of compliance, as per their website text for the ARC V . . .

Drone UAS UAV Quadcopter LED Strobe Light

Check the little pamphlet in one of those photos, I think that should come with the product, it has the spiel about FAA compliance. Can't link it directly, a screenshot . . .

FHT_FAA.jpg

But in reality, seeing drone strobes of any kind on the market, seeing them in a helpful way to other aircraft at (regular) 3.45234 miles / 5.556 km is not going to be possible.

EDIT - (Whoops sorry, not nautical miles, but regular statute miles.)

Of course this IS for other manned aircraft to see at those distances, but we all have relatively similar vision ability of these lights.
Aircraft van lights are quite a lot larger, brighter, and no powering issues light anything larger or brighter might have for regular drones.
Mostly these are good for day or night close in VLOS for the drone pilot, I wouldn't depend on an aircraft seeing them and distinguishing them from bright starry nights, or city lights, unless very very close.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost