DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A couple newbie questions

Ned Bogan

Reactions
1. Re: Drone "add-ons" like blade guards, aftermarket landing strut assemblies, wet suits, decal-type skin coverings, strobe lights, etc...
I won't be flying in rain, so I don't see any need for a wet suit and I think all that added bulk wouldn't be good for performance. I'm wary of the aftermarket landing strut assemblies because they're extra weight and will likely impact negatively on vehicle performance. My guess is they're not a good idea, but (per "leaked" pix) since the new Mini 3 seems to be a landing pad-needing belly-lander that would benefit from the landing strut assembly it might be a good idea for that model. The decal-type skin looks like a good idea to me because it'll add no bulk and nearly no weight to the craft, but a bright color skin should be more visible in the distance. If that works that way, it may enhance my VLOS ability and that'd be a good thing. My guess is that strobe light fixtures should be added only if and when needed for night flying. Are my newbie guesses on the right track?
2. Re: FAA 107 Test...
In general terms (if an answer is even possible), how much of a bear is this test? Is it a monster that applicants are very strongly advised to do one of those ~$150 prep courses for or is it a reasonably sane test that an ordinary mortal could fight through if he adequately self-study prepped for it? I fought my way through a BA and a year of post-grad work, so I can study and take tests. I just don't have a clue as to how much of a challenge the 107 test will present. Do I need to load up for rabbit or grizzly bear?

1. Re: Drone "add-ons" like blade guards, aftermarket landing strut assemblies, wet suits, decal-type skin coverings, strobe lights, etc...
I won't be flying in rain, so I don't see any need for a wet suit and I think all that added bulk wouldn't be good for performance. I'm wary of the aftermarket landing strut assemblies because they're extra weight and will likely impact negatively on vehicle performance. My guess is they're not a good idea, but (per "leaked" pix) since the new Mini 3 seems to be a landing pad-needing belly-lander that would benefit from the landing strut assembly it might be a good idea for that model. The decal-type skin looks like a good idea to me because it'll add no bulk and nearly no weight to the craft, but a bright color skin should be more visible in the distance. If that works that way, it may enhance my VLOS ability and that'd be a good thing. My guess is that strobe light fixtures should be added only if and when needed for night flying. Are my newbie guesses on the right track?
In general terms (if an answer is even possible), how much of a bear is this test? Is it a monster that applicants are very strongly advised to do one of those ~$150 prep courses for or is it a reasonably sane test that an ordinary mortal could fight through if he adequately self-study prepped for it? I fought my way through a BA and a year of post-grad work, so I can study and take tests. I just don't have a clue as to how much of a challenge the 107 test will present. Do I need to load up for rabbit or grizzly bear?
The first part of your question kinda depends on exactly what model of drone you are using. Some models have way adequate power to have some additional weight or bulk without a problem, others are pretty whimpy and can pretty much just handle themselves. The Mavic 2 Pro\Zoom have lots of extra power and the Mini 1 has all it can do to fight even relatively mild wind. On most you can add some accessories without a problem. As for the wetsuit I have never tried one (I do have floats), but don't think they add a lot of bulk. In addition to helping if you get caught in the rain, they give you a way to recover if you go down in the water. Following this forum you'll see that seems to happen quite often. Especially with folks who fly off boats.

Reactions: R.Cowan
To answer your second question " for rabbit or grizzly bear"...I would say somewhere in the middle. I chose Pilot institute's course and it was very helpful to me. For myself who hadn't had to study for any kind of test in over 40 years, I appreciated all of the course curriculum. Passed with a 94 first try. There are a lot out there who have opted to forego the $150 courses and utilized online freebies, YouTube, etc. and also passed the test. Whichever option you choose, it will require studying and knowing the questions to expect. Good luck!

the Mini 1 has all it can do to fight even relatively mild wind.
It seems that originally the Mini-1 had that problem, but that it was corrected with subsequent firmware updates. I bought a used Mini-1 FMC earlier this month, and while not Mini-2 good, it does far better than handling just light winds.

1650752329051.png

MM...FPV?

1) Keep your drone as light as possible but putting on only what you NEED. Decals and wet suits are luxuries that add weight. Landing gear and strobes might be more essential (especially strobes). As long as you're aware of the legal weight restrictions where you're flying you can easily put the essentials on and keep it under 300grams.

2) Part 107. It's not a test that you can waltz in and pass But regardless of whether you use a paid course or self study, there will be study and learning involved. I have no patience for endless video lessons so I self studied. The key for me was taking multiple practice tests as I went along, noting where my knowledge holes were, then specifically finding information to fill the knowledge gap. How quickly you can become proficient enough to pass is directly related to how well you absorb and retain material. I'm old and slow, so it took me awhile. IMO there are two keys to being prepared: 1) As you go through the practice tests take note of how often the same questions get asked and answered over and over again. This points to what you will want to regurgitate when you take the test. 2) Be especially cognizant of the fixed-wing information given, as there are questions that us quad pilots don't deal with on a daily basis. For instance, we don't usually calculate lift or center of gravity, or stall speeds. Weather, comms and airport protocols are things we cannot ignore for the test. And there will be questions about map reading and airspace that will be essential. FWIW, while I passed pretty well, there were an inordinate amount of fixed-wing/airport protocol questions that tamped down my score, though I passed easily.

If you want to take a quick breeze through to see what's out there for free, take a look at Tony Northrup's tutorial. It will at least give you an overview. Good luck.

1) Keep your drone as light as possible but putting on only what you NEED. Decals and wet suits are luxuries that add weight. Landing gear and strobes might be more essential (especially strobes). As long as you're aware of the legal weight restrictions where you're flying you can easily put the essentials on and keep it under 300grams.

2) Part 107. It's not a test that you can waltz in and pass But regardless of whether you use a paid course or self study, there will be study and learning involved. I have no patience for endless video lessons so I self studied. The key for me was taking multiple practice tests as I went along, noting where my knowledge holes were, then specifically finding information to fill the knowledge gap. How quickly you can become proficient enough to pass is directly related to how well you absorb and retain material. I'm old and slow, so it took me awhile. IMO there are two keys to being prepared: 1) As you go through the practice tests take note of how often the same questions get asked and answered over and over again. This points to what you will want to regurgitate when you take the test. 2) Be especially cognizant of the fixed-wing information given, as there are questions that us quad pilots don't deal with on a daily basis. For instance, we don't usually calculate lift or center of gravity, or stall speeds. Weather, comms and airport protocols are things we cannot ignore for the test. And there will be questions about map reading and airspace that will be essential. FWIW, while I passed pretty well, there were an inordinate amount of fixed-wing/airport protocol questions that tamped down my score, though I passed easily.

If you want to take a quick breeze through to see what's out there for free, take a look at Tony Northrup's tutorial. It will at least give you an overview. Good luck.
I took the easy way out to get my 107...I got my regular airplane BFR, which I'd been wanting to do for a while anyway! If your a current airplane pilot, the 107 is easy to get.

If this isn't an option for you, I'd recommend the Pilot Institute 107 course. I took it after I already had my 107, just for the knowledge, and it was well worth the time to take it. And in the cosmic scheme of droning, it wasn't that expensive.

YMMV.

MM-FPV!

It seems that originally the Mini-1 had that problem, but that it was corrected with subsequent firmware updates. I bought a used Mini-1 FMC earlier this month, and while not Mini-2 good, it does far better than handling just light winds.

View attachment 147217

MM...FPV?
How does a firmware update add mass to resist wind gusts, bigger motors for more power, and bigger propellers to provide more lift and thrust? I have a Mini 1 (with latest updates) and could hardly fly it even in 10 MPH winds, bought a Mavic 2 Zoom and now even 25 MPH winds are not a problem.

Reactions: KB9Radio
How does a firmware update add mass to resist wind gusts, bigger motors for more power, and bigger propellers to provide more lift and thrust? I have a Mini 1 (with latest updates) and could hardly fly it even in 10 MPH winds, bought a Mavic 2 Zoom and now even 25 MPH winds are not a problem.
They could change the maximum angle it will do, which would probably help a little with fighting the wind. But I agree, I have a M2Z as well and it has amazing power for fighting wind. The Mavic 2 is a very capable drone.

Reactions: vindibona1
"There are more things in heaven and earth..."

Those aren't the only options for improving wind resistance.

IIRC, the change allowed a greater angle of deflection (I forget the proper term) so the motors could more forcefully counter the wind.

And in any event, there's a big difference between "can't handle any wind at all" can't fly above 10 mph winds".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S